Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubby Antenna

Spyder Garage

Default Stubby Antenna

Where do you purchase the short antenna for the RT?
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Custom Dynamics has a shortee antenna http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_antenna.htm

I have been thinking about changing mine as well. Will be interested to see if there are any other short antenna recommendations and also will it work for CB as well. It claims it does??!!

Also, looks like ESI (a site sponsor) also sells them.
    Last edited by GLHRN; 05-13-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Walmart sells a Scosche black rubber stubby antenna for about $8 and includes several adapters. Several RT owners have used this this one and it works great.
    Last edited by cjackg; 05-13-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI... I tried the Custom Dynamics Shortee; it didn't work as well as the OEM here in our mountains...
    And I hate like to have to say that! Maybe out on the Plains it'd do a better job...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stubby Antenna

My OEM antenna broke off going to Cuba and picked up an aftermarket from auto parts store there with all the adapters it was not working well. Had to buy two bolts 6 mm would screw in the base and the antenna with no trouble, but had to cut the heads off and weld the heads together works great but the short antenna had to go for it could not draw the stations as good. Used a same length as OEM but stainless steel and had great pick up. I had lost the station in the hills of Ohio and with this short one, new OEM length Stainless antenna it has worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
    Where do you purchase the short antenna for the RT?
    Last edited by Floyd Baughman; 05-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

The stubby antenna from Walmart worked well for me when the OEM fell off. Since my dealer fixed it properly, I have an OEM back on the RT. The price was right at about $10.00. (higher in AK ?).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Guess I will stay with the OEM that is currently installed. Thanks
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Default Bob T

My son bought a stubby antenna on E-Bay for 3or4 dollars. its about 3" long it doesn't work quite as well as the original but I like it better

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

don't waste your money on the wall mart antenna you get half the reception thats a fact

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by anthony422 View Post
    don't waste your money on the wall mart antenna you get half the reception thats a fact
    Did you use LOctite on it? That will reduce your reception unless you are very careful to use only a single small drop on the very last thread. For most the Walmart Shortee has increased reception.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Did you use LOctite on it? That will reduce your reception unless you are very careful to use only a single small drop on the very last thread. For most the Walmart Shortee has increased reception.
    I agree, when I swapped ours out for the WalMart one I put just a small amount at the based of the threads. Wife hasnt complained about the reception which tells me that is as good or better than the OEM antenna.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I uses stubby antenna from stubby antenna.com. The reception is about 5 miles less. At less 70 miles of reception.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't any one own a iPod ?

Spyder Garage

I installed the wall Mart shortly I get more station's than the oem, $8 works great I use Pandora for my music its free on smart phones
    Last edited by jtoro1; 01-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Walmart sells a Scosche black rubber stubby antenna for about $8 and includes several adapters. Several RT owners have used this this one and it works great.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by anthony422 View Post
    Worked fine on mine.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mt-man View Post
    Doesn't any one own a iPod ?

Very seldom listen to radio, ipod has all my music on it.

I use the radio only on occasion

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

I use the IPod when not in local area.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

I use a Sansa MP-3 most of the time. With 1,000 songs on a Radio card as well as about 1,000 I downloaded. I don't get tired of the variety.

Spyder Garage

Default Does no one

use the weather radio when on the road? It is a necessity for me.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Very seldom listen to radio, ipod has all my music on it.
    I use the radio only on occasio
    I've got one of those little 8 Gb "Saltine crackers"...
    over 600 songs that just aren't fit for human consumption!
    I kind of bounce back and forth between it, and the FM stations that I can pull on the radio...
    Although we've got some XM radio in the works for 2014!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Short aerial

Just purchased my stumpy aerial and like I've said before once the winds blow them selves out I'll be fitting this one,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

of your products?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GLHRN View Post
    Custom Dynamics has a shortee antenna http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_antenna.htm

I have been thinking about changing mine as well. Will be interested to see if there are any other short antenna recommendations and also will it work for CB as well. It claims it does??!!

Also, looks like ESI (a site sponsor) also sells them.
    Good antenna.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tired theirs on my 2010 RT, and wasn't happy with the results...
    To be fair: I live in the Catskill mountains, and radio reception Is always a bit sketchy.