Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tire

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hobstopper View Post
    Mileage is not the reason why I switched to a passenger tire, as I have posted before the single biggest improvement with handling that I have made was when I changed from the Kenda to a passenger tire. When I would come up on a tractor trailer on the interstate I would get a lot of wiggle from the Spyder and in/out sway going around curves. When I changed to the passenger tire the wiggle was reduced significantly and the rear end dip when going over bumps or dips in the road. At Spyderfest I had a set of Elkas put on my Spyder and it did improve the smoothness of the road, but unlike some I definitely would not say that it was like having a new bike. I have a 2010 RT-S and had put on the 2011 shocks prior to putting on the Elkas, so I have went through a progression of changes on the Spyder, passenger tire on the rear then 2011 shocks then Elkas. My sentiments are echoed by the wife being a passenger on the back of the bike and rider. The other thing of course that most of us see on our 2010s (I can't speak for the later model year Spyders) is the in/out going around curves with our Spyders. As said above with the progression of changes that I have made the tire being the first change that was made and the cheapest by far gave me the biggest change and eliminated the in/out, the 2011 shocks help to reduce the front end dive, and the elkas all but eliminated the front end dive.
    I found running slightly higher rear tire pressure firmed up the rear. and now the elka shocks in the rear settled down the (increased) dampening over bumps. no more oscilations when going over bumps in the rear. makes running over patched pot holes fun again (well tolerable).

have a new Kendra rear in garage waiting for OEM 1st rear to need replacement. have 10,000 miles and still some tread left. purchased Kendra ahead of time for less during dealer annual sale this spring

@Scotty = did you say your dealer could NOT mount and OEM tire to your spyder? how small of a dealer are they?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    @Scotty = did you say your dealer could NOT mount and OEM tire to your spyder? how small of a dealer are they?
    They are not really small, although they mix in boats, bikes, and atvs. They sell a lot of Spyders, and have since the beginning. Their biggest problem is no space for a tire machine (or paint booth) and a township that won't let them build another building without adding another parking lot. BTW, I have never seen their lot full. I did not check with other dealers, just the closest one, that I generally do business with.

A number of Spyder dealers are either unable to mount tires, or don't have the means of balancing them. A number of automotive dealers either cannot or will not. Owners should do some research before they get to the point of needing a tire, just so they know who to see. The sad part about my situation is that I asked about tires beforew we even bought our first Spyder four+ years ago, and was assured they could do the job.....not.

Spyder Garage

Depends on the dealer- My dealer sells a Lot of ALL Brp products and got the tire mounting machine recently BUT they explained its another $6,000 to get a balancing machine and I,m not sure how ,many dealers are willing or able to cover the added expense in todays economy.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Depends on the dealer- My dealer sells a Lot of ALL Brp products and got the tire mounting machine recently BUT they explained its another $6,000 to get a balancing machine and I,m not sure how ,many dealers are willing or able to cover the added expense in todays economy.
    That's the same number I heard on the balancing machine...more with a large variety of mandrels to fitt all makes of bikes.

Spyder Garage

One can get a "Balancing Machine" for less than $50. It's called Ride On. Perfect balance without weights.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I know this is an old thread but, I didn't see the point in creating a new one to ask the same questions.

2 things, what is 'Ride On' as alluded to in the above post? AND.. has anyone any experience with toyo tyres on the Spyder, I can't seem to get the Kumho ones (which I really fancied) over here, so I'm stuck with stock or Toyo or a certain type of Falken ones, but I exclude them as they are too cheap to be any good.

Bearing in mind this is Scotland and it rains 90% of the time.

I could with stock again but they really are rubbish in the wet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an appointment with my dealer to replace my rear tire on Thursday. I'll remember to ask them to check the bearings, etc. I think they will only use OEM tires.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BALANCING MACHINES

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    One can get a "Balancing Machine" for less than $50. It's called Ride On. Perfect balance without weights.
    One can can also get a "Balancing Machine" from Harbor Freight $ 55 works great.......Also the old bubble balancer works fine for the rear wheel if you can find one..............any car shop can do the fronts....Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you sayin' that I'm fat?? (ZE912)
    Anyway; fat people are perceived as being jolly...
    We fat folks are not fat just fluffy.