Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Congrats....way to go!!

Spyder Garage

Default One more thing for your wife

Go to www.diamondraccessories.com and buy her their new armrests. We, too, have a Gold Wing, but I purchased a RTS SE5 for me to ride (hubby rarely rides the Wing now). We both love the new armrests. Diamond R was at Spyderfest last week and we got ours there. The 900 mile trip home was more enjoyable with them.

See these arm rest here
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...today-Pictures
    Last edited by Leslee; 05-12-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added link to pictures

2014 Cognac RTS-SE6 & RT 622
    1993 Teal Gold Wing SE

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!!!

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you got a great deal, The dealer gave me top dollar for my 1800 as well, 3500 less than I paid new so it cost me $44.00 per month to ride it. I did pay near MSRP for my 2012 Limited, they gave me a great deal on the extended warranty and the maintenance contract, I would recommend consider purchasing both of these or at least the additional 3 year warranty giving you a total of 5 years factory warranty from BRP.

Congratulations my friend and welcome to the best forum with the greatest people ever!
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

on your new
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Alternate Dealer

Harry,

I can understand going to a Honda/CanAm dealer to get the best deal on your GL. If you haven't thought of this already, for service, rather than driving to Stanford, try Bob's Ski-do in N. Easton, MA. The have been in business for 40 plus years and only sell and service BRP products. He has 2 Canadian trained Spyder techs that set up my Spyder to my specs (tire pressures, shocks, etc).

I've been very pleased with their service. The cruise control on my RT-S was working only intermittently; they replaced the switch assembly without question in one day.

I'm in Carver only a 20 minute ride to Bob's. Give them a try.

Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryesspyder View Post
    Harry,

I can understand going to a Honda/CanAm dealer to get the best deal on your GL. If you haven't thought of this already, for service, rather than driving to Stanford, try Bob's Ski-do in N. Easton, MA. The have been in business for 40 plus years and only sell and service BRP products. He has 2 Canadian trained Spyder techs that set up my Spyder to my specs (tire pressures, shocks, etc).

I've been very pleased with their service. The cruise control on my RT-S was working only intermittently; they replaced the switch assembly without question in one day.

I'm in Carver only a 20 minute ride to Bob's. Give them a try.

Rick
    Yes this was my thoughts as well, and the Stamford dealer knew that too. Be rather silly to ride all that way there for an oil change.

I had spoken with Bob over at Bob's ski-do and he was more than willing to deal on the RT and offered a fair trade but stamford was 5,500 more so I went with the deal nothing against Bob's at all.

I need to call him and let him know that I purchased else where but he will make money from me, I'm useless with any thing mechanical. So I need everything done by a dealer. According to google their about 25 miles from me so much better than Stamford, hopefully he will be ok with it all.

MTR in woonsocket RI, a Honda dealer across the border and about 10 maybe less miles from my house, would not touch my GL, they only service bike that where purchase from them. But I think there the exception rather than the rule.

harry
    Last edited by harrypottar; 05-13-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm in same mode.....

Hi Harry,

I'm looking to do the same. I've been riding a 2007 GL1800, and really like it. Previously rode BMW K1200LT's. Most friends I ride with have Wings, but I'm ready for a change, and looking to get a RT LTD. My wife is a bit hesitant since she really likes the GL1800, and I have it set up nicely for our travels. I will miss some things, but think the Spyder will work out. Fortunately, I can hang onto the GL1800 for a while, until I determine if the Spyder is all it's cracked up to be.

I plan to add communications/CB, shock upgrade, backrest, passenger armrests, trailer and a few other things to bring it closer to Wingdom.

I've already asked fellow riders to be easy on me, because we tended to "knock" the Spyders when they first showed up on the scene. This is only my second post, so all of you Spyder folks, please don't hold that against me. I'm evolving. But once the semi automatic tranny was introduced, that caught my attention. I enjoy more of a relaxed ride, and not thinking about holding up 900 lbs., plus wife, myself and cargo every time I stop or get into a tight spot. that is very attractive.
    Last edited by Luckyme; 05-16-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyme View Post
    Hi Harry,

I'm looking to do the same. I've been riding a 2007 GL1800, and really like it. Previously rode BMW K1200LT's. Most friends I ride with have Wings, but I'm ready for a change, and looking to get a RT LTD. My wife is a bit hesitant since she really likes the GL1800, and I have it set up nicely for our travels. I will miss some things, but think the Spyder will work out. Fortunately, I can hang onto the GL1800 for a while, until I determine if the Spyder is all it's cracked up to be.

I plan to add communications/CB, shock upgrade, backrest, passenger armrests, trailer and a few other things to bring it closer to Wingdom.

I've already asked fellow riders to be easy on me, because we tended to "knock" the Spyders when they first showed up on the scene. This is only my second post, so all of you Spyder folks, please don't hold that against me. I'm evolving. But once the semi automatictranny was introduced, that caught my attention. I enjoy more of a relaxed ride, and not thinking about holding up 900 lbs. every time I stop or get into a tight spot is very attractive.
    I don't have mine just yet, 3 days to go , I have had mixed feelings about the spyder for quite some time. Back when I had my VTX1800, I test rode the RS quite some years ago and din't like it at the time. I loved my VTX it was great ride but not for two long touring machine, so I went to the GL, I have been in a love hate relationship with the Goldwing ever since. Its a comfortable ride but like most I had to spend some money to make it so. Love the luxury of the GL, sound system, GPS etc. Things it should have its electric windscreen, better suspension etc. I mentioned early my wife used to go every where with me on the VTX, the rear seat was slim and low. The GL rear seat is wide and high, watching her climb on is painful, she steps on my floor boards, then the rear, put knee on seat twist on and plunges down and worse in reverse to get off.

Riding the GL down and back to CT last weekend, I really enjoyed the ride but after the RT test ride I knew it was time to let go. In a perfect world I would love to keep both but garage space is premium, we have 3 kids with ATV's bike, cars, and the usual junk. Off topic, but I bought a shed the other year to move the ATV's in but ended up with more junk .

My thoughts is to have spyder as the main ride for touring and two up, I think this will be easy for my wife to get on. If in a couple of years I get the feel for two wheels again I will look for a used sport touring or curser bike.

I don't really care what people thing of what I ride, too old and ugly too care. I do have other rides, I have an ATV that is more of a utility used around the house, and my wife as a little 150cc buddy scooter, I own a Vespa 250cc GTV which I use when we ride together. I purchased it because it looked odd that I was following the buddy on the GL and once got stopped and quizzed if I was hassling the rider. So I bought the Vespa, quite fun and very nippy to scoot around Bellingham on, I've had lots of bikers laugh at me/vespa but didn't bother me. For me the most important think its that I like it not what others think, I'm sure some of my Harley colleagues will laugh at me they did when I bought the GL, but I'll be happy riding it around.

I'm sure you won't regret the move, its a great touring rig really looking forward to the weekend when I pick mine up.

Good look with the purchase please post back with your results, I will be updating this on Saturday night.

harry

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Harry,

Amazing the similarities we have regarding the GL1800, our toys, and the toy box. We live in the country outside of Lexington, KY, and maintain 5 acres. So when we built our home, it had a 3 car garage, but I added a 4 car matching detached garage for my truck, mowers, and yard equipment. Seems like it fills up too. More room, more junk.

I worked for Honda in Marysville, Ohio in the 80's, and they are a great company. In 2007 I traded my BMW K1200LT in on the Goldwing, I figured I was old enough for one. But Honda has neglected the Wing for a while, as it needs some of the goodies designed into it. It does have the best engine in my opinion, but needs some upgrades, and design improvements. Especially the front suspension. Maybe now that production is back in Japan, they will fix that. But, it has been a very nice touring machine, and has taken us across the country, east to west, and north to south without issues.

I'm looking forward to the Spyder, but I'm afraid to let go of my GL1800, just yet. Keep us informed of how your delivery goes. I'm considering a 1 way flight next week to go get mine.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Default Perfect Just Perfect

Well I thought I would close this thread off.

After spending last week so hyped up about my new toy, Saturday finally arrive. I rode the 200 miles down to Stamford CT, absolutely beautiful day, the ride and the Goldwing was great. It was so good I was starting to question what I was about to do...

Arrived some three and half hours later, I had to do a detour about 20miles out due to the 95 being a parking lot, however did we manage before GPS. The Spyder was all ready to go nice, shinny and looking so inviting, I cleaned out the Goldwing, went through with the tech all the hidden goodies it had, shed a tear and said goodbye.

Called my insurance provider and got everything swapped over, I had them fax the paper work to me at the dealer. Then the tech who built my Spyder (nice touch)went through all the goodies on the spyder top to bottom and back round again. He was very knowledgeable and took his time to explain everything to me, I videoed the whole thing and he didn't seem to mind, he even swapped out my old Goldwing head set for the new can-am one for me.

Everything was done except the hitch, the dealer had called me in the week (very pro-active dealer) to let me know they where on back order at BRP and would not be in until the end of the month. We arranged for me to come back down in a couple of weeks, they will fit the hitch and do the first service while I wait. After the first service, all other services will be done locally.

I have to say, over the years I have purchased (like most) numerous cars, trucks, bikes, atvs. scooters etc and this as to be in the top two dealers I have ever dealt with. No games, no hidden gotchas, just really professional polite bunch of guys, right through from sales, to parts to service. !0 out of 10, although they are more than 6 hours round trip, I would go back again to buy my next bike, anyone around new England should check them out. Stamford motor sports.

As I needed to break in the Spyder, I didn't want to ride 95 north all the way home. So I took the Merritt Parkway (CT15) all the way back to Hartford changing speeds and nursing her home. Then a brief run on the 91, then 384 into route 6 to 102 and home. In-fact I enjoyed this route better, my previous trips had been purely functional and fast pace 95 both way. This ride made it a 'ride' rather than the destination. When I go back for hitch and first service I will properly do 95 down there as I have to be there early but I will do the same route back afterwards. I have also been out riding all day today(sunday), took my youngest son (13) for ride and he loved it.

So thoughts so far:

This is so near perfect for my needs that is almost perfect, the ride is so comfortable and thats saying something coming from a Goldwing. My GL was a level 3 with premium audio, i have to say that I prefer the RT sound, seems fully, richer more depth. Not sure about the heat everyone talks about, it was upper 80, lower 90 both yesterday and today, so its hot, but what bike isn't hot in those temps. Go the steering down in the first few miles, mainly thanks to my exploits on an ATV. I have already stopped looking for the front break so thats good too. The engine is not as smooth as the GL but what do you expect the GL is an 1800cc 6 cylinder monster, the spyder is a 1000cc v twin, but seems like it firs the purpose, I have not pushed it yet but will after the first service. Love the paddle shifting and electric windshield both sadly missing from the Goldwing. Although I wish it had TPM, I added after market TPM to the GL, two plus two for trailer, I kept it and can use it but suppose I need trike plus trailer TPM now.

Need to add some sealboards and other goodies, I also nee to find a local body shop that can color match my titanium cargo trailer to lava bronze.

All in all I can say this was the right move for me, I know everyone is different, but to me, this is far superior to the Goldwing. For what I want in a touring machine this as it all. In the future if I miss two wheels ( my wife and I still have two wheel scooters) I would still keep this and buy a small sports tourer, but thats a long way off.

I still have a few things to figure out, although I was shown how to use the CB I have not gotten any one on there yet, not even rubber ducky or the bandit. Hopefully in the future on some group ride I can test the CB out.

I'm so thankful of all you input, you help me make a great choice.

Hopefully I will see some of you at spyders in the adirondacks

harry

Spyder Garage

Congrats!! Glad it all worked out. Good luck with it..Tom/Fort Myers