Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of trading Goldwing for 2012 limited

This is my first post here, but been lurking for a while.

I have had my eye on the spyder and really like the look of the new 2012 limited

Going to one of the can-am road trip events on the 31st, any thing I should know up front. Do the dealers deal or stick to the msrp. Are there any must have options at time of purchase or any options that can not be added afterwards.

Of course this all depends on what I can get for my 2006 GL1800 I would love to hear from ex gold wingers who made the switch both the pros and cons.

Tia
    harry

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FORMER WINGER

I would never look back, best move made in a long time....I had no choice tho...As long as you don't think the Spyder is a mtc. you will do fine...be careful of the steering it is very very light....(it's power assisted ) Keep the revs up a bit...it will NOT pull like the GW...Have a ball ,personally I prefer the R/S but that's me.........Enjoy.. .....Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

you won't need to add much to the Limited it has just about everything.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The biggest decision is Pearl White / Lava Bronze / Pearl White / Lava Bronze ...............you get the idea! Good luck on your decision!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Also X winger x 5

I too am a x winger and I now have 2500 miles on my 2012 RTS SE5. There is no return for me. I love my and I think I made a wise choice. I would recommend the SE5 it is great not having to use a clutch. I have had no issues with mine. I am very happy I made the switch.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our resident "George" is out and about right now; but he's got both an RTS and a converted 'Wing... I'd PM him for his opinion too! (BigRed1)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You are going to hate it ,for the first 5-600 miles and then with the confidence you built up we won't be able to wipe the smile of your face every time you ride it . It takes a bit of getting used to, you will grab air a few times as there is no hand brake and you will tend to hold on too tight as your first thought is this thing wants to throw me off on corners. Just relax your grip know where the foot brake is and enjoy . Hope you have a good dealer as unfortunately dealer prep is a huge issue some times .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stealth11,
    I know that this'd mean a lot more typing for you; Perhaps you should type out "Reverse Trike" as opposed to merely punching in "RT". Not everybody here is aware of what it is that you're actually riding...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RTO; perfect!
    I hate typing more than about anybody in here, but just for the sake of clarity it can be a necessary evil...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great input, its really a hard decision for me but not so much for the spouse. Prior to the GL1800, we had the VTX1800 and we used to go every where together, I upgraded to the GL1800 and my wife only rode with me a few times. My wife is small and has some hip issues, she finds it really difficult to get on and off the GL1800, she has to climb two floor boards, knee on the seat and twist round. Then its uncomfortable as the GL1800 rear seat is too wide, the VTX seat was a lot narrower.

Personally I would love to have both but for two reason, cost of keeping two expensive bikes and even bigger issue is garage space. I could see us purchasing the Spyder and then later getting a smaller run around two wheeler, VTX 1300,St1300 or similar.

Dealer, Although I'm in MA, I booked the demo ride with Stamford Motorsports, CT on the 31st, there also a Honda dealer so might improve trade in value. Again part of the decision (once w've confirmed we like the ride) will be what deal I can get on the GL1800 (matching trailer) and price on Limited Edition.

Anyone have any experience with Stamford Motorsports good or bad, we have a local dealer Bob Skidoo in MA, there not on the list for the demo event and there a small shop that deals in water and snow craft. Not that should reflect badly but I think in my humble opinion, going with a full bike shop like Stamford Motorsports will give me a bit more of a warm fuzzy feeling.

Lets face it the List price on the GL1800 is up there but don't know anyone who as ever paid sticker for one, I have never paid sticker for any bike or car and I have had a lot. The Limited is a nice bike but only 1,100 sort of 30k it a lot of money. Once you add dealer fees for prep then state and town taxes it over 30k. My first house was less than 30K (whoops showing my age). Anyone get a good deal or everyone paying sticker?

I really like the look of the Limited Edition and if it rides as good as it looks I'm already sold on the idea.

Spyder Garage

The previous posters pretty much have the subject covered. Good luck on your quest. We are biased here--but you will like the Spyder if you jump in.

I never had a Goldwing but had a few bikes that matched it in weight and size. Kawi-Voyager, Yamaha Venture (the old touring type), Vulcan 2000 cc cruiser.

It was hard to heft these kind of bikes around, worry about dropping them, etc. Although the Spyder is heavier, you are not going to drop it. Another bonus is the true reverse gear.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bob's skidoo

Bobs skidoo does demo rides all year long on RT and Rs's not through Can Am events they just do it themselves in a 10 milemormsomled ride. I stopped by and rode an RTL and that's what started my bug to switch from a Harley Ultra Classic. I heard they sell for strictly MSRP and many other here report doing much better than that!

Doc

Anyone have any experience with Stamford Motorsports good or bad, we have a local dealer Bob Skidoo in MA, there not on the list for the demo event and there a small shop that deals in water and snow craft. Not that should reflect badly but I think in my humble opinion, going with a full bike shop like Stamford Motorsports will give me a bit more of a warm fuzzy feeling. Lets face it the List price on the GL1800 is up there but don't know anyone who as ever paid sticker for one, I have never paid sticker for any bike or car and I have had a lot.
    Last edited by DrAwkward; 05-10-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Sp

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrAwkward View Post
    Bobs skidoo does demo rides all year long on RT and Rs's not through Can Am events they justndomit. I stopped by and rode an RTL and that's what started my bug to switch from a Harleyy Ultra Classic. I heard they sell for strictly MSRP and many other here report doing much better than that!

Doc
    Figured that Bobs properly does demo as most dealers do, but some reason the can-am test ride event is skipping MA and RI, there at Laconia NH, during Bike Week but figure that would be too busy.

I might be wrong, crazy or both but I thought there might be more willing to deal at the test ride event, Stamford is about a 3 hour ride so not that bad, the more I read on this forum and watch you tube I'm convincing myself that this is the right move, just need to get the right deal. My GL1800 is in showroom condition and Low Millage (12.5k) as the wife would not ride with me and not much fun touring on your own. At 12.5k thats just the break in period on a GL1800. She also seems all for the Spyder as well.

thanks
    Harry

Spyder Garage

Consider going for the RT "S", a big savings for not giving up much. I bought and installed the Garmin 550 GPS for under $400, all in, and an afternoon's work to wire it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Just got a new 2012 RT on Monday. I used to be a GL1800 owner also. Jury is still out for me as I only have 300 miles on it but I'm liking it more each day. Anyhow, if you look at the Can Am website they have an interactive dealer map. I called all around the country. It. May cost you 400 bucks or so for transport but it could save you thousands. After getting your price you can also see if local dealers will match. That sort of worked for me as I only had to travel 160 miles to pick up but I saved $2700. Also, don't just get a price, some of these guys just play games with fees, get OTD price..Good luck..I'm glad I did it, just hope I feel that way 6 months from now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Just got a new 2012 RT on Monday. I used to be a GL1800 owner also. Jury is still out for me as I only have 300 miles on it but I'm liking it more each day. Anyhow, if you look at the Can Am website they have an interactive dealer map. I called all around the country. It. May cost you 400 bucks or so for transport but it could save you thousands. After getting your price you can also see if local dealers will match. That sort of worked for me as I only had to travel 160 miles to pick up but I saved $2700. Also, don't just get a price, some of these guys just play games with fees, get OTD price..Good luck..I'm glad I did it, just hope I feel that way 6 months from now.
    I don't mind fly and ride or delivery charges to save that type of money. So if you don't mind my asking what was your otd price not including tax. Was it 2700 of the OTD or MSRP (28,899) making it 26.199 I get that today

Harry

Spyder Garage

I traded my 2010 rt ac with for a 2012 Harley Trike. Love that Harley sound and power.. I did enjoy the SPyder though.
    Cliffm4
    2010 RT A&C Full Moon Grey

Hitch Assy***CB Comm***XM Radio***Zumo 660 GPS***BRP GPS Mount***Utopia Backrest***Spyderpops Belt guide***BRP Chrome Handbar Ends***RS Tank bag moded to work on RT***

Spyder Garage

Did you get it with or without the needed $2000 in parts to cool it down and allow it to pass other vehicles? I almost did the same thing, and decided that the Spyder was a better all-around ride.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I don't mind fly and ride or delivery charges to save that type of money. So if you don't mind my asking what was your otd price not including tax. Was it 2700 of the OTD or MSRP (28,899) making it 26.199 I get that today

Harry
    I got a base model. I'll do my own bells and whistles. To me, when you look at the "extras" you get they don't add up to the higher end prices. Anyway, I paid 19K vs 21.7. There was $475 prep/assembly and $99 doc fee. The rest was tax/tag/title which isn't going to vary. Actually could have gotten a slightly better price at Louis Powersports in Greenville Tx. Transporting put it over though. If you look at the $2700 as a % of total, you should do better at 28.9K. If you work the math it would get you down to $25330. Might be optimistic as the higher end RTs sell better--I'd try for 3K off though.

Spyder Garage

Originally when I posted I had booked the official can-am test ride event at Stamford CT for the 31st. After reading the positive post here, a lot of surfing and speaking with the dealer about my GL1800 trade and out the door price on the Limited, I'm going down tomorrow Saturday 12th. Won't be able to test ride the limited but they have the RTS for test ride. I would assume the ride is the same?

The trade offer (subject to inspection of course) is fair, the initial OTD price is not bad, once I've confirmed I like the ride as much as I like the looks I will see what deal (trade,OTD,options etc) they can come up with while I'm face to face. Fingers crossed I hope to come home with the spyder. I have matching trailer for the GL which I love, again see what trade that is worth, I would like the official spyder trailer but just may end up keeping its and having it sprayed to match the color.

I will let you know my thoughts tomorrow after the test ride.

harry

Spyder Garage

Default Another thing to ask for

Ask for 25% off on all future upgrades, parts and accessories from them. They'll counter with 20% off for first two years only and you settle for that.
    Just a little extra to sweetin the pot.
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Originally when I posted I had booked the official can-am test ride event at Stamford CT for the 31st. After reading the positive post here, a lot of surfing and speaking with the dealer about my GL1800 trade and out the door price on the Limited, I'm going down tomorrow Saturday 12th. Won't be able to test ride the limited but they have the RTS for test ride. I would assume the ride is the same?

The trade offer (subject to inspection of course) is fair, the initial OTD price is not bad, once I've confirmed I like the ride as much as I like the looks I will see what deal (trade,OTD,options etc) they can come up with while I'm face to face. Fingers crossed I hope to come home with the spyder. I have matching trailer for the GL which I love, again see what trade that is worth, I would like the official spyder trailer but just may end up keeping its and having it sprayed to match the color.

I will let you know my thoughts tomorrow after the test ride.

harry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rt 3a Motors in Chelmsford MA tells me they sell more than any East coast dealer. They always deal, give excellent trades, and have great service too. I bought 3 bikes- two Can Ams and a Kawi and will buy more in the future if opportunity arises.
    Best of luck in your search.

Spyder Garage

I traded a 05 GL1800 that I purchased new and a 2011 V Strom in on my 2012 Limited. After 2000 miles I am very pleased with my decision. Hope your test ride went well...
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Smile Gone and done it

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their input, it has made this a really simple and enjoyable purchase.

I took a 6 hours round trip to Stamford CT today, all told around 360 miles there and back. The guys down there where exceptional, Shocked at first that I rode all that way to Stamford but because I did they knew I was seriously interested. I explained my thought process and that they're also a Honda dealer so they know the values of the GL. ( I had called a couple of other places and they where willing to deal on the RT but not so much on the trade).

While they looked over my trade I took a RTS out for a pretty nice long test ride, I loved it, I ride ATV's with my sons so picked up the steering no problems, the ride was smooth and comfortable, although little hot round the legs. Not having the front break was a lot harder to adjust too than the steering, which I thought would be the issue. The seat was as comfortable as stock Goldwing seat. I'm not a fan of pegs so I will put floor boards on, I have floor boards on my GL. In my twenties and thirties it was all about knee dragging twisties, but now I want the long drawn out comfort ride, touring and site seeing etc and this fits the bill perfectly.

When I got back to the showroom, another gentleman had just bought the assembled RT Special Edition, he was there before me, but they had another in the grate which turned out to benefit me in the end. So we chatted over the trade and OTD price and got what I thought was a great deal, so then I pushed, why not. In the end I got the best offer on the GL, same as what I saw private parties paying over on GL1800Riders board. Now mine is in showroom condition with very low millage, But I was happy with the offer. I only got $1,500 off retail but I also got the full com package, CB, Audio, rider to passenger communication, blue tooth and two sets of head sets for my wife and I, plus the tow package. This was a bit easer to bargain for as the RT LE was still in the create so they could add all these at assembly and I had a $500 voucher for accessories from Can-am.

All in all a great day, the only down side (spoilt boy pout) I could not ride it home, I have to go back next Saturday to pick her up, just got to hold on a week.

They did not want my color matched ION trailer (not there thing) but there putting the tow package on with converter harness so I use it on the RT. In two minds, might keep it and have it sprayed to match or sell it and put the money towards the can-am trailer.

Once I pick the Spyder up next week I will post some picks and my first ride home feelings.

Thanks again for all the input

Harry

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Awesome! Congrats on your new Spyder!