Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    However, if you have an oil related motor, trans, or clutch failure and are not running BRP oil, right or wrong you may have quite the battle getting warranty work done.
    Personally, I like the BRP oil. Its fairly inexpensive and actually does quite well. In the Seadoo world many have tried other oils but most have had the best results with the BRP oil and end up going back. This is in a platform that runs much harder than in a Spyder. [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    It would be illegal for them to do so. As adverse as BRP is to lawsuits, I can't see this happening in the real world. And if it had ever happened, I'm sure you would hear of it here. In fact, the opposite has been documented. Spyder engines have failed using non-BRP lubricants. The engines were replaced with never a peep about lubricant because the failure was clearly NOT oil related. If you're using an oil as good or better than the BRP product, you're not going to have an oil related failure.

I'd be much more worried about having a flat tire than having a battle with BRP over oil. And I can guarantee you, I don't worry about that either....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It would be illegal for them to do so. As adverse as BRP is to lawsuits, I can't see this happening in the real world. And if it had ever happened, I'm sure you would hear of it here. In fact, the opposite has been documented. Spyder engines have failed using non-BRP lubricants. The engines were replaced with never a peep about lubricant because the failure was clearly NOT oil related. If you're using an oil as good or better than the BRP product, you're not going to have an oil related failure.

I'd be much more worried about having a flat tire than having a battle with BRP over oil. And I can guarantee you, I don't worry about that either....
    While I do tend agree with you Ron about not overly worrying about it, there is still a bit of caution.

I had a good friend get denied warranty work on the motor of his Nissan truck. He had done all of his own oil changes and had receipts for all his work. Nissan's stance was that just because he had receipts for the materials, doesn't show that the work was actually done, or done correctly since he wasn't a certified tech.

Anyone that knows me knows I'm a super gear head and not afraid of the mechanical side of things. However, I do tend to let the dealer do some of the maintenance during the warranty period for this reason. Also why I'm not a fan of extended warranties.

Tread lightly folks because the world we live in is full of loopholes for this crap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

60 bucks canadian, all you need to do the change,filter oil, gaskets, seals, and you get to bond with your SPYDER for about 15-30 minutes. Is a wonderfull experience.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL - MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    While I do tend agree with you Ron about not overly worrying about it, there is still a bit of caution.

I had a good friend get denied warranty work on the motor of his Nissan truck. He had done all of his own oil changes and had receipts for all his work. Nissan's stance was that just because he had receipts for the materials, doesn't show that the work was actually done, or done correctly since he wasn't a certified tech.

Anyone that knows me knows I'm a super gear head and not afraid of the mechanical side of things. However, I do tend to let the dealer do some of the maintenance during the warranty period for this reason. Also why I'm not a fan of extended warranties.

Tread lightly folks because the world we live in is full of loopholes for this crap.

And just because you PAID the dealer to do all the maintenance on your Spyder doesn't mean ANY of it was done......I can guarantee you there are a bunch of Stealers out there who have collected $ 650.00 + fee's for ALLEGED VALVE CHECKS and never did more than clean them off..................just sayin......Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad I read this thread first!! Just ordered the filter kit from BajaRon on Ebay. Have a little shop 2 blocks from me that sells Amsoil, so I'll get that there!! This will be my first attempt at changing the oil on my Spyder, but I have the manual for help. And you folks, of course!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    And just because you PAID the dealer to do all the maintenance on your Spyder doesn't mean ANY of it was done......I can guarantee you there are a bunch of Stealers out there who have collected $ 650.00 + fee's for ALLEGED VALVE CHECKS and never did more than clean them off..................just sayin......Mike
    I don't know how wide spread it is but you're right. I've had customers who use my filters have the dealer do an oil change. When they did the next oil change themselves, guess what... My filters were still in their Spyder. It is a shame that some dealerships just don't care to do the job right.

Professional just means you're getting paid. Not necessarily that you're doing a good job.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't know how wide spread it is but you're right. I've had customers who use my filters have the dealer do an oil change. When they did the next oil change themselves, guess what... My filters were still in their Spyder. It is a shame that some dealerships just don't care to do the job right.

Professional just means you're getting paid. Not necessarily that you're doing a good job.
    That is a real shame....[emoji53]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySpyder View Post
    Hey guys, going to do my first oil change so I went to the dealer where i bought the and asked for all the items I needed for the oil change kit. The kid looked at me like he had been huffing paint in the back for 30 minutes, said the service department does oil changes, and after asking another way I gave up. Not going to bother giving them anymore business if they can't put someone suitable to conduct it in the parts section. Long story short, BRP sells oil change kits. Many of you probably already know, but figured there was someone out there like me who didnt. They run $76 (+8 for shipping) on Ebay, that includes oil, o-rings, washers, instructions, etc. You can also get them from the BRP site, but they are $84(+17 for shipping). Just FYI, happy riding guys!
    ihave had so many problems trying to get the parts foroil change from the parts dept. at multiple dealers in NH. Have yet to get it right yet and had to keep goingback. trusted them to knowwhat i needed and they knew crap. theydidn't even know at one dealer that therewere 2 filters. theyfought withme andtreatedme very rudely, andall but said i was a stupid girl' what would i know. won't be going backthere. they want u to just buy the kit, but I dont like the oilin the kit. Next time i willorder partson line. Makesureuhavetherightparts number as they changed at one time. If it hadn't been for 2smallthings i needed help from husbandwith,i could have done oil change mnyself. it was pretty easy really. and gets easier every time. Good luck.78th

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
    ihave had so many problems trying to get the parts foroil change from the parts dept. at multiple dealers in NH. Have yet to get it right yet and had to keep goingback. trusted them to knowwhat i needed and they knew crap. theydidn't even know at one dealer that therewere 2 filters. theyfought withme andtreatedme very rudely, andall but said i was a stupid girl' what would i know. won't be going backthere. they want u to just buy the kit, but I dont like the oilin the kit. Next time i willorder partson line. Makesureuhavetherightparts number as they changed at one time. If it hadn't been for 2smallthings i needed help from husbandwith,i could have done oil change mnyself. it was pretty easy really. and gets easier every time. Good luck.78th
    There are a lot of options out there. But I would be happy to supply you with whatever you need at your next oil change. It is sad when dealerships know less about their product than the customer. And even worse when they consider female customers to be inferior.You can't fix stupid. But you can take your money elsewhere. Sounds like you've got this one figured out.