Thread: Armor-All

Spyder Garage

Question Armor-All

I have a set of Armor-All wipes that I use on my car.
    The ‘Cleaner Wipes’ say they can be used on just about anything.
    The ‘Glass Wipes’
    The ‘Protectant Wipes’ which I use on my dash and tires.

Is it ok to use this on the Spyder?

Another question, I have a bottle of Mother’s Back to Black.
    I read on here that I could use that on the black plastic parts of the trim.
    Can that be used on the dash as well?

I’m just looking around at all the cleaning supplies I currently have on hand.

Thanks for the advice,
    Boyd

Romney & Boyd

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been using lemmond pledge wipes on my rt works great use plex on wind shield that is all u will need

Spyder Garage

I doubt that the cleaner wipes are a problem, although a good detailer like Turtle Wax Ice, or a non-ammonia spray like Windex Multi-Surface with Vinegar, and a microfiber towel, works better. If the glass wipes or cleaner contain ammonia, they should not be used on the windshield or clear plastic parts. They will cause eventual crazing and clouding of the plastic. The protectant should never be used on the tire treads or the seat. Too slippery...and can cause accidents.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use Turtle wax ice on the body panels leaves no white residue and a glass cleaner that is compatible with lexan and plastic windscreens. On the tires I use something like back to black but only use a little so as not get any on tread of tire

I find armoral products attract dust JMHO

Spyder Garage

I use the back to black on all non-glossy black panels on my GS.
    Last edited by wyliec; 05-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the help.

The Glass Wipes don't actually list what the ingredients are, so I will leave those alone.

And the Back to Black is fine for the dash?

Love this website!

Boyd

Romney & Boyd

Spyder Garage

I use Armoral all on the tires, black and clear plastics except for the windshield and other rubber such as the foot rests. Since our bikes don't lean there is no issue with the tires breaking looks due to slick side walls, just wipe them down and avoid allowing any on the tread portion (true on cars as well). Back to black works well on the black plastics and I think it lasts longer once applied but that may be perception on my part. There are several tire sidewall products simular to Armoral that leave a higher gloss and last longer but you said you were trying to use what you already have.

I have a special tire applicator, it is a curved piece of sponce mounted to a yellow handle. This allows me to apply the products with very precise control to the tires with out over wetting or applying any on the treads. You can buy it at most places that car/truck supplies are sold.

By the way, I drive the Spyder fast and hard so by experience it is safe if done per the above.

Good luck with it.

Spyder Garage

Be careful with armor all. There have been many stories from folks of it causing cracking an drying of vinyl and rubber parts. There are MUCH better products available.

Google for armor all cracking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with texasride... Lemon Pledge for everything but the dirt on the ground around the bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm with texasride... Lemon Pledge for everything but the dirt on the ground around the bike!
    I get the Dollar store Lemon Pledge and it works great on everything, even the seat!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redroC View Post
    The ‘Glass Wipes’

Thanks for the advice,
    Boyd
    The BEST I've ever used - first started using it on my spa cover. Nothing gets abused by the elements much more than they do. Now I use it on everything. The company also sells a pre cleaner, if needed.

Product Description

303 Aerospace Protectant - Pump--SPF 40 Sunscreen For Your Stuff!™This is the maintenance product manufacturers recommend most. Only ‘303' beautifies as intensely, protects as powerfully or lasts as long. Powerful UV screening protection for gel-coat fiberglass, vinyl, vinyl awnings and graphics (stripes), tires, EPDM rubber roofs and seals. Spray on/Wipe dry. Treated surface repel dirt, soiling and staining. Nontoxic and environmentally safe.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-A.../dp/B004HHSGS0

http://www.amazon.com/303-Aerospace-...f=pd_sbs_sg_12
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redroC View Post
    The ‘Glass Wipes’

Thanks for the advice,
    Boyd
    The finish on your Spyder consists of plastics, paint on plastics, and metal. Use high quality cleaners and protectants to keep it looking great over the long haul. They may cost a little more but just like a quality engine oil it's worth a little more to protect it properly.

For non-painted plastic parts such as the trim, the windshield, etc. I recommend Plexus. I know of nothing better or safer to clean plastic. It's one of the very few products specifically designed to clean plastic. It's a bit expensive but a little goes a long way with this stuff, and a single can should last for a year or more.

For the painted plastics use Plexus with a clean microfiber cloth for gentle day to day touch up cleaning. For a long lasting protectant I recommend Nu Finish NFP-80 Polish. It's a polymer, not a wax, and safe for the Spyder's painted plastic. It's non-abrasive, and rated #1 by Consumer Reports for durability. It'll protect the paint against dirt, chemicals, acid rain, and UV for a month or more.

For metal such as the wheels and lower body parts use a quality auto detergent followed by Nu Finish NFP-80 Polish.

For the tire sidewalls, the vinyl/leather seat, and non-painted plastics use 303 Aerospace Protectant after cleaning. It's far superior to Armor All type products. A little goes a long way, don't overuse this product, especially on the seat. You don't want the seat to be slippery, you just want a single coat to protect against UV rays and dirt. It's expensive but one bottle will last for years.

These are the best products I can recommend for care and cleaning of your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    For non-painted plastic parts such as the trim, the windshield, etc. I recommend Plexus. I know of nothing better or safer to clean plastic. It's one of the very few products specifically designed to clean plastic. It's a bit expensive but a little goes a long way with this stuff, and a single can should last for a year or more.
    Another, similar, product is Cee Bailey's Premium Aircraft Windshield Cleaner & Polish. Specifically formulated for acrylic (Plexiglass) and polycarbonate (Lexan) windshields.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have used armoral all since it became popular in the 70s with no issues. I does seem to develop more of the brown color over time than the other tire dressings but it comes off easlily with a strong cleaner and brush. I was at wreckers on time looking for a dash for my used car that came with a cracked vinyl dash. Everyone of that year was cracked except for one so when I brough in to pay I asked why. The answer was simply " that came in shining with armoral two years a go and we have been watching it since". The car had no windshield and the dash was exposed to the weather all that time. No idea why some report the opposite but I only trush my own experience.

QUOTE=larrymz3;451542]Be careful with armor all. There have been many stories from folks of it causing cracking an drying of vinyl and rubber parts. There are MUCH better products available.

Google for armor all cracking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by bluestratos; 05-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree about being careful with armor all, what I've used instead is 303 on plastic and vinyl