Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest Suggestions for Next Time

Before I start let me just say that I had a great time at Spyderfest. What a huge success. I can't believe how much work you guys did. I hope you have some special thing planned for yourselves as a group reward : )

I was asked by a couple of the MoGang working the event to bring forward a couple suggestions that I gathered. So here they are in no particular order.

- Try to have the veterans salute earlier, maybe even before the door prize drawing so that more are present for it.
    - Spyder Safety Ride, give people a piece of parking lot to let them practice basic accident avoidance maneuvers (braking hard & fast, swerving, etc) so they are better prepared. A lot of people on Spyders who have never ridden anything similar could use the practice. Or if these seems to risky ; ) then maybe BRP can give you a more serious video on it : P
    - In line with the safety ride, a safety talk. There were a lot of open sandals and shorts around and it could be that people just don't see the dangers since Spyders are so easy to ryde.
    - So I went to all these neat places to get passport stamps and the places generally stamped their address and phone number on my book, which I can't keep if I want in the drawing. I'm not sure what to do about this one, but at least the places should know I'm not keeping the book.
    - Break really big rides into 2 groups or 3 groups. I know this would mean more ride leaders and staggered start times might not work for lunches. It's just an idea.
    Y Blue
    -Ruth K, Hoffman Estates IL

Spyder Garage

For the passports...

Before turning them in, have someone check to see they're properly stamped... and then tear off the back page which will have your name and info and what drawing it's for, throw that in the bucket and give the remainder of the book back to the person so they can keep their passport booklet as a keepsake and the details and stamps from the shops we visited.

I'm still amazed at the high level of organization displayed and I can't imagine how much more happened behind the scenes. Great job MoGang and that Len guy
    Len Cannon Ball.jpg
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Valet parking please
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was there 2 years ago,but couldn't make it this year..We had an awesome time...The hosts were the best...How was the parking..we had to park way around back and there wasn't near the Spyders that I heard was there this year..Can it get too big to have it at Cowtown?..Maybe a fairgrounds?..I'm not suggesting it,just asking how it was this year with sooooo many Spyders..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It would be nice to have one designated time that all of us that are having such an incredible week could big thanks to the MoGang

Spyder Garage

Definitely need smaller groups for the group rides...it would be nice to have rides organized by the level of experience/skill the riders had, rather than lumping everyone together. It would have been nice if the "newbies" would have gone to the back of the pack, but we all know that won't happen on it's own. We ended up behind some really slow drivers and one group ride ended up being a very boring ride. We actually ended up leaving the group at lunch and taking off with a smaller group, which was much more enjoyable. Since folks will undoubtedly exaggerate their expertise, perhaps the paperwork could ask how long someone had been riding, whether they had 2 wheel experience first, whether they prefer to go fast/slow/etc., and the groups could be assigned ahead of time based on the answers. The MoGang could ask for volunteers that had GPS and were willing to lead rides; an orientation for them could be scheduled ahead of the rides, rather than only resorting to MoGang folks. If the groups were smaller, with staggered starts, it would probably be easier for the restaurants, etc to have adequate staff. It would be nice if the mural ride was at a different time so that folks wouldn't have to leave the Sat. night festivities early. Definitely need phone numbers for the stops on the passport runs so that people could call them if they ran into problems while on the runs. At least one of the places had moved (6 months earlier) so confirming addresses when arranging for the stops would have been nice.

I would like to make it clear that we had a FABULOUS time at our first Spyderfest, and already have our Ladybug reservations for next year. Kudos to the MoGang for an excellent Spyder event.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Events

I realize Spyderfest is not like a regular Biker Rally. But more events for the spyder..Maybe a trailer backing, time trial and a precision placement.. Better start practicing now.

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Consider moving the event to May or June away from "April Showers"

Spyder Garage

I had a wonderful time at SpyderFest! It was my first time.

We had a discussion about the route maps for the Passport runs. When you print the maps out, the road numbers were blotted out. The road numbers need to be written next to the route or marked roads we are traveling on. Some of us had to ask for directions from the fine folks at Da' Family on how to get back to the Interstate. No road/route numbers on the map.

Keeping a copy of the Passport book for keepsake mentioned above is great idea. I asked about this when I paid for mine about keeping it. Have a tear off page for the drawing. Less paper to go into a landfill? There were too many pages in the book that were never filled in as there were only a few places to sign in the book. Thinner book, less paper waste next year?

I missed the second Mural Ride or was it never started? I asked one of the Staff members and they weren't aware about a second ride?

Thanks for putting a wonderful event and I can't wait for next year....but I will have to.

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

Performance testing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Moving the Salute to Veterans to before the Mural ride is a definite.

I thought having the vendors at Cowtown was awesome - so much better than when they were at the fairgrounds.

Last year it was announced that you could get your passport back after the drawings if you wanted it.

My husband would like to see designated parking for two wheels at Cowtown. I say Waa Waa Waa!

We would love to help next year on anything that needs doing. I'm sure the MoGang could use help and maybe have the opportunity to enjoy the festivities too.

I can't believe that I've been home for a week already. 51 weeks and counting.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    Valet parking please
    DREAMER!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Consider moving the event to May or June away from "April Showers"
    But you don't get that FREE wash ya'll want if later in the year!!! How else are you going to check out your rain suits to make sure no LEAKS??

Spyder Garage

Fantastic organization by the MO Gang! The suggestions above about large groups on the rides could possibly be solved by handing out maps and/or cue sheets, which would allow individuals or small groups to leave on their own rather than as large group(s). Although it can be extra work, my local m/c club will often post GPS routes on its website. These can be downloaded directly into the GPS and gives each participant an easy way to follow the route. Then a time to meet for lunch or a time to meet at a designated rest stop can assure the group meets up again along the way.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the recommendations. I can assure you that they will all be considered, with the possible exception of "valet parking".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyderfest 2012 was superbly executed. The group ride routes were awesome, and judging by the sheer number of participants that joined each ride, they were all a huge success.

One suggestion that I have concerns the passport runs. It might be helpful to some to include a brief description of each business we will be visiting, as well as GPS coordinates for these sites. Nice to know that you are about to visit a Brewery rather than a company fabricating items from Tin.

Given the logistics of handling the crowds that attended Spyderfest 2012 I cannot say enough about the level of effort that the organizers (MOGANG) put in to carry this off. I still shake my head in amazement at just how well everything happened as a result of your hard work and dedication to making it happen.

I would also suggest that MOGANG consider taking on more of a supervisory role in running some of the events rather than having to do all of the grunt work at both ends. There are plenty of Spyderlovers who would gladly donate a few hours of time during the event to pitch in and take a bit of pressure off of this dedicated group. Just something to consider going forward.

Once again, a special thanks to MOGANG for making Spyderfest such a great event.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 05-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I would also suggest that MOGANG consider taking on more of a supervisory role in running some of the events rather than having to do all of the grunt work at both ends. There are plenty of Spyderloverswho would gladly donate a few hours of out time during the event to pitch in and take a bit of pressure off of this dedicated group.
    and commit to volunteer in 2013.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

One suggestion that I have concerns the passport runs. It might be helpful to some to include a brief description of each business we will be visiting, as well as GPS coordinates for these sites. Nice to know that you are about to visit a Brewery rather than a company fabricating items from Tin.
    Yes, I agree.

Spyder Garage

Random thoughts...not necessarily of importance, and certainly not criticism:

Better maps. Gotta at least be able to see the road designations.
    Additional locations on maps. Wildwood, Rec Center, Wagon Wheel, etc. should be shown. Also maybe all participating sponsors.
    GPS coordinates. For all key locations, including Passport stops.
    Games. I also thought of trailer backing. I like the precision parking/riding idea, too. Maybe some additional field games like ring/beanbag toss, etc....maybe even backwards.
    Guidebook. The area has so much to offer! A list of area attractions like Meramec Caverns, Ft. Leonard Wood, Mark Twain Forest, etc., would be great for those wanting to take in more on Passport runs or explore on their own.
    Routes. Prepublishing the ride routes...or including Google map listings ahead of time would allow people to make up their minds about what rides they wanted to choose before the event.
    Drive-in. What a great place to gather! Lots of room to park, wander around, and visit with our friends. Well done!
    Food/Drink. While it was appreciated and welcomed, I'm sure the area restaurants and food vendors weren't happy about all the free food and drink. I suspect it could be scaled down without hurting any of our feelings, and it would support the local economy a bit more. Maybe some restaurants would even like to participate and offer a modest discount to those wearing an event wristband.
    Weather. OK, you didn't arrange it, but it was very good. Keep up the good work!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I thought the passport run was a hit for us. We don't use a GPS.
    Fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants..
    We plotted our course from the computer in the room the night b4.. planned our route from where we were staying.."Sullivan" and covered both runs in one day. skipping one in St.James and not locating Tin-Something.
    "Da-Family M/C" to us were the most hospitable. Spydette and I sat and visited about 45min in the clubhouse. Astra Glass was the most interesting. Watched them make a vase start to finish,, then he dropped it..
    It was a full 10.5 hr ride but that's what we went for. To ride where we never been b4.

I would like to comment on the newbies. Placing them in the back in a group is asking for disaster. As a Safety & Awareness Coordinator for the Biker Community in my Region of Texas, We stagger them with experienced riders and observe their actions along the way. When we stop, we suggest things we have observed they may want to consider to pick up the pace, We all were newbies at one time. Besides, when you decide to participate in a group ride remember it is a group from A-Z. I'm no "knee-dragger" but have been known to scrap the boards and pipes on my bagger. And at Spydefest that dayuum "BRP On-Board Slo-down Sucker Nanny" scolded me a few times.

So maybe Len & the Crew can find a semi secluded road for the wild-child in us all and take us on a 3/4 throttle rip thru the twisties/whoop-dee-doo's" I can think of one road when we headed over to the park with the large boulders cluttering up the landscape. Asphault was white. 1/2 throttle lifted us out of the seat.

Did I read someone say 51 weeks and counting!! "Keep Me Posted"

Spyder Garage

I think the service dept did a good job with the amount of people that were wanting things installed and trying to work them in. I think the communication on how long things are going to take could be a little better. I don't know is not a very good answer. I am sure in my case, it was an isolated incident and I think they were just overwhelmed. It probably helps that I am pretty patient.

Spyder Garage

If portable toilets must be used, please provide a way to wash our hands! At the very least some hand sanitizer stations certainly would be welcome.

Spyder Garage

Given the logistics of handling the crowds that attended Spyderfest 2012 I cannot say enough about the level of effort that the organizers (MOGANG) put in to carry this off. I still shake my head in amazement at just how well everything happened as a result of your hard work and dedication to making it happen.

I would also suggest that MOGANG consider taking on more of a supervisory role in running some of the events rather than having to do all of the grunt work at both ends. There are plenty of Spyderloverswho would gladly donate a few hours of out time during the event to pitch in and take a bit of pressure off of this dedicated group. Just something to consider going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    and commit to volunteer in 2013.
    As Doc, I would like to volunteer as well for 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Food/Drink. While it was appreciated and welcomed, I'm sure the area restaurants and food vendors weren't happy about all the free food and drink. I suspect it could be scaled down without hurting any of our feelings, and it would support the local economy a bit more. Maybe some restaurants would even like to participate and offer a modest discount to those wearing an event wristband.
    I agree with Scotty... The wristband is a great idea, but I didn't see much enforcement on this. Sure, we are all honest , but you never know when there are some moochers. But like I said, Scotty's idea with the wristband would be good. If you are attending Spyderfest, wear the wristband and have a list of the local eateries that are offereing discounts.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think the service dept did a good job with the amount of people that were wanting things installed and trying to work them in. I think the communication on how long things are going to take could be a little better. I don't know is not a very good answer. I am sure in my case, it was an isolated incident and I think they were just overwhelmed. It probably helps that I am pretty patient.
    When it comes to the Cowtown Mechanics ( Supermen all!!) they tried to get everyone to get an appointment which helped with the time problem. BUT if an Emergency showed up it threw the guys timeing off. As for the Venders and THEIR timeing that was up to them and their problem. Not easy getting work done on a Cumputer on wheels. Everything seems to be attached to something else!!!By the time one gets thru the first layer a goodly length of time goes FLYING by!!!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyderfest was wonderful....some good suggestions....I will volunteer for anything....

have a Volunteer sign-up page along with registration page..

I can send y'all a link to a gatherin' we are attending in July...or MoLee can show y'all........so you can get a look at what they do...what y'all have done is wonderful
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 05-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder