Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question can am communication system in my HJC helmet. Is this possible... Want to use PTT

Hello everyone just recently bought a 2010 Spyder Rt-s with my fiance and was wondering about communication between the two of us.
    I was either looking at the Can am communication system, or the ChatterBox X1 Slim. We already have the GPS and CB built in, but we do not
    have the can am helmets nor do i want to buy them. I was wondering if you can still install the system in our Helmets " HJC CL-16 " or if the best thing would be to get
    the ChatterBox system. One thing i really want to use is the PTT button on the handle bar, and want to know if that is usable with the ChatterBox system or, any other Bluetooth systems.
    We would like to get everyones opinion on this, or if you know of a better system that we could still use the PTT button and or the built in system on the Spyder, that would be great....

Thanks for all the help.
    Lewin

Spyder Garage

BRP offers a Communication Headset (P/N 447438) for use with their comm system and alternate helmets. You would need one for each helmet.

The PTT switch only works with the BRP CB. You can also get one for the passenger to use for the CB (P/N 447476).

The Chatterbox does basically the same thing as the BRP system, but is wireless. It will not integrate with the BRP system. I would avoid it, as it hasn't a good reputation, IMO. The Sena SMH10 or Cardo Scala systems are better.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Your Spyder has the CB/Com unit installed, so I would recommend buying the BRP headsets. We have the same system in our Spyder and it works well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Would communication between other bikes that dont have cb's be possible or is the spyder system just broadcast over the cb? One other question, with the canam system can it be hooked up to your telephone via Bluetooth and be used with your headset?

Tha is again.
    Lewin

Spyder Garage

Default Comm system

If you have the built in CB system you have the 7 pin connector on your "dash" and all you need is the J&M connector cable and headset of your choosing. I went with the cheaper unit as I could not tell the difference between the Elite or the Performance series. You will notice a difference in price between the two though.

Jmcorp.com is where you want to go. They make the BRP stuff anyway.

Spyder Garage

Actually the BRP stuff is made by Radio Sound/N-Touch in Louisville, KY.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewin View Post
    Would communication between other bikes that dont have cb's be possible or is the spyder system just broadcast over the cb? One other question, with the canam system can it be hooked up to your telephone via Bluetooth and be used with your headset?

Tha is again.
    Lewin
    Communication with other bikes is only possible through CB. If you wish to communicate with non-CB users, you would have to use a Bluetooth or other alternate comm system. Those users would have to be paired with your system.

The Can-Am system can be connected to your Bluetooth phone via a Cellphone Interface Kit (P/N 219400390), available from a dealer. The kit only works with 2011 & newer RTs.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Communication with other bikes is only possible through CB. If you wish to communicate with non-CB users, you would have to use a Bluetooth or other alternate comm system. Those users would have to be paired with your system.

The Can-Am system can be connected to your Bluetooth phone via a Cellphone Interface Kit (P/N 219400390), available from a dealer. The kit only works with 2011 & newer RTs.

I have a 2010 so the cell phone kit will not work for me.
    I would like to use the cb system but If I can't use it with a
    phone, I don't know if it's worth it.
    I also ride mostly with guys that do not have CB radios.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewin View Post
    I have a 2010 so the cell phone kit will not work for me.
    I would like to use the cb system but If I can't use it with a
    phone, I don't know if it's worth it.
    I also ride mostly with guys that do not have CB radios.
    In that case I'd choose either a wired or wireless comm system. Wired systems connect to the phone with a cable, wireless via Bluetooth. With the wired systems you have to add CB or FRS/GMRS radio for bike-to-bike. With wireless it can be built-in via Bluetooth. IMO, the best systems are these:

Wireless:
    Cardo Scala
    Sena SMH10

Wired:
    Starcom1
    Autocomm
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In that case I'd choose either a wired or wireless comm system. Wired systems connect to the phone with a cable, wireless via Bluetooth. With the wired systems you have to add CB or FRS/GMRS radio for bike-to-bike. With wireless it can be built-in via Bluetooth. IMO, the best systems are these:

Wireless:
    Cardo Scala
    Sena SMH10

Wired:
    Starcom1
    Autocomm

Thanks Alot for all the information I'll look into those systems and check the prices

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have the Sena smh10 and love them they last all day long with the intercom constantly connected.

Spyder Garage

chatter box not good

ride safe
    geo

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information and your thoughts...

Lewin.