Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Not sure what to use for a title - picking up my Spyder (take two)

Perhaps it should be * HOT - HOT - HOT * (to say the trip was HOT would be a major understatement), or maybe * The Longest Test Ride Ever * (cause when I mounted up and pointed the Spyder to wards home, over 1600 miles away, I had only sat on one once).

The journey began like they do for so many of us. I'll FLY. That's it, I'll fly in get off the plane and ride the Spyder home. Welllll, not so fast!! Scheduling a two stop flight (no direct flights out of Palm Springs) on short notice was cost prohibitive - not that I'm a tight wad - what they wanted was outrageous. 'Plan B' - catch a RED EYE. The price was right but, the entire trip would be on puddle jumpers - FIVE of them - every time you land you change planes and get on another puddle jumper. Oh, and it would only take THIRTY HOURS. Ha!! Plan C - at about the same price as Plan B was to ride - The Grey Dog - mind you I haven't been on one since '67 (that's a whole nother story). The Dog(s) will have me there in thirty four hours and it will only take three of them to get the job done. Wala.....bought myself a one way ticket to Shreveport, La, leaving town Monday morning April 30th at 11:30 AM . All dogs ran well and we were on time UNTIL the last one, my connector in Dallas. It went lame somewhere before Dallas and the delay turned the trip from thirty four hours to almost forty.

Once in Shreveport, 2 AM Wednesday the 2nd, grabbed a cab to the motel and was beyond ready for a shower, good meal, and some rest. Don't ya know! Couple hours later I'm off to take care of paper work...title transfer, Spyder Warranty etc. etc.. Then I'm ready to leave but can't. I had ordered and drop shipped riding gear from a couple of sources and one package was shipped late. So I had to hang around for another day. Not all bad, the trip out had whacked me pretty good, my ankles were the size of cantaloupes. LOL! All I can say is it's a darn good thing those new touring boots have zippers in them, getting them on still took some stomping and pulling but, once on I was ready to roll and nothing was going to stop me.

It's mid day Thursday and the final package arrived and I'm off. Rather suddenly I knew something wasn't right and I knew what it was. Long story short the shocks were adjusted for a feather weight and I'm a heavy - six four / 220. No problem, the dealer is kinda on my way out of town and I'm pretty sure they'll handle it for me, since I didn't bring a jack along. They did and I was on the road at 2 PM and on my way home...almost. By plan I need to be in Phoenix to pick up a trailer Saturday morning 9AM (some 1250 plus miles away) no problem originally but, the delayed package took care of any extra time I had allowed myself. Is it crazy to try and stay on schedule? Maybe, but if the new Spyder and I get acquainted fast enough - it's still doable. And, if the trailer folks get me out as promised I"ll be home in time Saturday to rescue my dog from prison (normally called boarding). For now it's all up to me, just get to Phoenix on time.

First fuel stop and oil check. Only about a hundred miles into the trip and I need fuel already?. That little red R was showing itself and I have no idea how deep reserve is. So, as per the manual and me being one to follow what must be sound instructions. I did as the book told me, I filled until the pump shut itself off. Also checked the oil (by the book) and it was very near the low level mark. After going through the sequence of starting, stooping, and checking about three times I had hit the HIGH mark. Well done, and I'm off. (And the oil level dropped very little over the remainder of the trip.)

Seems like I just got back on the road and all of a sudden the little red R popped up again. Didn't I just get fuel? What's up with this? This time.....I said screw the book. I'm filling up...or... as they refer to it in the O/M, TOPPING OFF. So one little squeeze at a time I watch the fuel level sneak ever closer to the nozzle entry hole....I want it full, but with a little expansion room left. I mean after all, the second I start it up I'll be in fuel burning mode until the little red R comes on again. Heck, I'm not filling it up to take it home and park in the garage....I'm going to be burning and churning. Perhaps burning is a bad word choice here....but you get my drift...right?

Well this time I ran a little over 200 miles before the R showed itself. This became a pattern and once it did I began to gain some confidence that if I run 200 miles and it takes five gallons to fill to the same level.... I'm getting 40 MPG, AND!!!! The reserve on this thing must be about 1.6 gallons deep (5 +1.6 = 6.6 / Yes?). This is what the numbers looked like time after time..... I was almost always running 75 to 80 miles MPH with the cruise set. That is until I got to west Texas where 80 is legal.....I ran 90 on cruise. Now, by the time I hit west Texas the Spyder and I were on pretty good terms. It seemed happy and I know I was.

SE5 - hard to beat the semi automatic in BIG CITY rush hour freeway traffic. There couldn't be a better set up than the SE5 - it did the work down shifting and I did the up shifting - harmony. I'd fall in in the fast lane, set myself a comfortable distance form the vehicle ahead, while reading the traffic in front of it, and not once did I ever have to touch the brake. And, as it happened it was rare that people would fill the safety gap I was leaving. When they did, I simply adjusted. How cool is that?

For three nights I rode into a setting sun and the first two nights on the road went until after midnight. On the first day I stopped at midnight. It was a combination of being tired and knowing I was out driving my low beams. Not good! So, got a room and died for about four hours and was up and ready to go again. I had managed to put 400 plus miles behind me between 2 PM Thursday afternoon and midnight and was in Sweetwater, Tx.. Not a bad first day.

Woke up and was on the road to breakfast at 6AM, and about 45 minutes later I was in the fast lane. At just after 1:AM Saturday morning I was pulling up to a hotel room in Fountain Hills, Az. Some 860 plus miles for the day, and I was T 1 R D!

Slept a couple of hours, but this time it was not restful. Being as tall as I am the seat forces me to set to far forward. I mean my knees are at minimum four inches beyond the front of the saddle rub guard. That means in order for my feet to be on the pegs my legs are then bent back almost like I was kneeling. I mean it pulled my riding pants so tight to my knees that I have what one could only call rug burns on my knees. So, instead of sleeping that night I fought Charley horses. Not fun, jumping out of bed......saying, Oh please, No, go away....If you've ever had Charley horses you know the routine. This my friends has to change. I can deal with all kinds of discomfort when I HAVE TO but I made it home and don't have to anymore. It's time to visit Corbin. They're just up the highway.

I got to the dealer in Arizona 30 minutes earlier than he was supposed to open but he was late. The hitch and wiring was installed but there was no way I could make it home in time to bail Roxie out on Saturday so I slow rolled home from Arizona, arriving about 9:PM.. They don't release pets on Sunday so I finally got Roxie today. We're both happy. I detailed the Spyder today.

NOTE: to all you Texas riders.....you should be hitting fewer bugs.......I collected more than my fair share.

That's my story (the second time around)

Thanks for the ear.

Jerbear and Blk Max

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

That was one helluva trip for a first ride!!! Congrats on making it home safe & sound. You da man!! To help with that "gotta stretch the legs" feeling, may I recomend Lamont's NBV's. They'll work wonders for ya. Hope you have many more safe and fun miles!

Spyder Garage

Great story, I enjoyed it very much. you are one determined soul. I too have had charlie horses and now make certain I have a banana to help with the potassium shortage. Can't believe you got 200 miles on a tank, maybe thats the way to break her in. My ride I babied the first 400 miles.

And now thequestion on everyones mind, What type of dog is Roxie?

And hope to meet you in Durango

Spyder Garage

What a great adventure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What an epic first journey! Well done!!!

Here are a couple of tips:
    a) The fuel tank on a Spyder is 6.6 gallons, but about 10% of that is head space, so it has a fuel capacity of 6.0 gallons. The fuel light should come on with about 1.4 gallons left.
    b) Forty miles per gallon is pretty unusual. Don't count on it every time.
    c) Best way to fill the tank and avoid contamintaing the evap canister is to insert the nozzle just into the no-lead ring. Fill slowly until fuel starts to spit out of the vent slots. The fuel level will be about 1/2" below the ring.
    d) One of the reasons for leg cramps is dehydration. Be sure and drink lots of water. Another is low potassium, as was mentioned. Babanas and avocados are good sources. Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc pills help for me.
    e) Sounds like you have some pretty long legs. A custom seat that places you farther back might help, such as the new BRP Comfort Seat or a Russell Day-Long. Aftermarket footboards can help, too.

You are off to a reat start. Enjoy the Ryde!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy and I would like to say CONGRATS & Welcome to the SpyderHood

Awesome Adventure Thanks for share'nTeddy was glad you were finally able to get Roxie out of "jail"

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Great story! What do you have planned for your next adventure?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post Super first ryde

Very good story.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Spyder Garage

on your new . Glad everyone is home safe and sound. Sounds like you had a great adventure .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

:> Great read!

Thanks for sharing!

D

Spyder Garage

AWSOME

Ride hard and never put your Away wet !

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your adventure.....I just love it when everything starts to fall together and works out well...riding across Texas is hot and where do all those bugs come from.....just a side note...leg cramps will go away immediately if you drink some pickle juice...crazy...but it works...hope to meet you at Durango or SITR's

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Great story!! Glad the trip home was safe and always an adventure.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

on your new ride,sounds like you broke it in and fast,loved the story it seemed like i was right in there with you.i did say slow dowen when we were hiting 90 mph.scared the h out of me.but i had fun thanks for the ride.

zrc

So can the beastly RTs break a hundred? My RS sure does

Spyder Garage

Default Great story

Thanks for sharing - Great read!

Spyder Garage

Time for your 600 mile service. You must believe in the engine break-in philosophy of don't baby it. Drive it like you would normally. Great Story.

Spyder Garage

Great story and first ryde! to our world!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

HEY Jer...great talking to you, happy you're home safe...Great read. Stay in touch and perhaps we'll ride together some time..Wing or Spyder...cheers Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool story, you're a brave man!
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DLewis View Post
    That was one helluva trip for a first ride!!! Congrats on making it home safe & sound. You da man!! To help with that "gotta stretch the legs" feeling, may I recomend Lamont's NBV's. They'll work wonders for ya. Hope you have many more safe and fun miles!
    Thanks for the recomend. Once I get the seating figured out I may do just that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Great story, I enjoyed it very much. you are one determined soul. I too have had charlie horses and now make certain I have a banana to help with the potassium shortage. Can't believe you got 200 miles on a tank, maybe thats the way to break her in. My ride I babied the first 400 miles.

And now the question on everyones mind, What type of dog is Roxie?

And hope to meet you in Durango
    Roxie? She's a Wire Fox Terrier who has been at my side for for almost thirteen years. In all that time she's never been boarded and we've only been out of each others sight for more than a few hours a couple of times. On those occasions family kept her..so, I was hardly missed Funny thing is....she didn't miss me this time either.

Durango? Not sure why but had it in my mind it was this month and all but given up on making it if I couldn't get another saddle under me. YOU, made me look for the date, AND YES...I'm going to do all I can to make it. When ya get a chance PM me and I'll pick your brain

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    What a great adventure.
    Thanks! It really was

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    What an epic first journey! Well done!!!

Here are a couple of tips:
    a) The fuel tank on a Spyder is 6.6 gallons, but about 10% of that is head space, so it has a fuel capacity of 6.0 gallons. The fuel light should come on with about 1.4 gallons left.
    b) Forty miles per gallon is pretty unusual. Don't count on it every time.
    c) Best way to fill the tank and avoid contamintaing the evap canister is to insert the nozzle just into the no-lead ring. Fill slowly until fuel starts to spit out of the vent slots. The fuel level will be about 1/2" below the ring.
    d) One of the reasons for leg cramps is dehydration. Be sure and drink lots of water. Another is low potassium, as was mentioned. Babanas and avocados are good sources. Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc pills help for me.
    e) Sounds like you have some pretty long legs. A custom seat that places you farther back might help, such as the new BRP Comfort Seat or a Russell Day-Long. Aftermarket footboards can help, too.

You are off to a reat start. Enjoy the Ryde!
    Got it. As far as dehydration goes. Without doubt I was. Because for three days I had sweat like a race horse

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Awesome Adventure Thanks for share'nTeddy was glad you were finally able to get Roxie out of "jail"

Somehow I knew Teddy would GET IT