Spyder Garage

Cool RSS 2011 RPM Fluctuates

Hey all just bought 2011 RSS SE5 orange black used with about 1500 miles on it and love the hell out of it just noticed one thing though when it is nice and warm it has a fluctuating RPM between 1400 and 1350 is this normal i dont know i have test driven many new vehicles and they idled pretty stabil or i just didnt notice it fluctuating what i do like though is now that it has a few miles the exhaust is not as quiet as when it is brand new

would appreciate if some one could tell me if the fluctuating is normal or if i need to take the vehicle do the dealer to have checked out

thanks

Harry

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard.

I have an SM5 (2008) and it stays pretty constant at around 1500 rpm. I'm not sure if I would notice 50 rpm's unless I was constantly looking at the tach.

zrc

My 2009 goes up and down a little at idle, I just assumed it was some of the characteristics of the Rotax engine... Perhaps I was foolish to assume this?

No other vehicle I have owned was / is a rotax so I attributed it to the new kinda motor I am dealing with.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    My 2009 goes up and down a little at idle, I just assumed it was some of the characteristics of the Rotax engine... Perhaps I was foolish to assume this?

No other vehicle I have owned was / is a rotax so I attributed it to the new kinda motor I am dealing with.
    I would agree with most it is normal (50rpm) fluctuation you are seeing. The rotax in the ATV line-up always fluctuated a little as well? The Spyder seems less suseptible to cold weather than the ATV's as well as they always needed to warm up. Even though they too were fuel injected?
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RPM'S

50 RPM'S.....If it was 500 I would be concerned.....But 50.....IMHO I think that's normal.......Mike..........

Spyder Garage

My wife's RS-S (same color as yours) has the same Rev's. Rotax engines are high reving machines so I would not be concerned. Oh and&
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same--actually, all three of them have done this. I am thinking this is "normal".

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Normal IMHO
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

normal.

It's more noticeable on louder pipes as well. And just to confuse you, it sometimes goes away and runs perfectly smooth.

If it's REALLY bad, it could be one spark plug is in better condition than the other... or one cylinder is significantly hotter than the other... or the throttle bodies need to be resync'd.

But it'll just come back eventually None of them are a big problem unless it's really significantly running funny.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Hey all thanks a lot for all of your answers
    i was a little worried when i first saw it but think now i can relax and know that other people also have the same

what i still think is awsome is that the exhaust sound gets a little better when the machine is driven in

Again thanks a lot

now i feel better

Harry

Spyder Garage

it seems to happen to my 2011 as the engine getts warmer.

Spyder Garage

It is normal. If you look at the emissions tag under your seat, you will see the idle rpm and the allowable range. BTW, it may be fluctuating much less than you think. The digital tach reads in 50 rpm increments, and rounds itself off. If you run at 1370 rpm it would say 1350, but at 1380 rpm it would say 1400. Don't sweat the small stuff!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would assume you are talking about while idling.. My 2012 RS jumps by 50 as well.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax..!!

this is normal for these twins. They are high rpm engines and you can't adjust the idle. Welcome to the roadster world and congrats on the new ryde...I'd say your going to love it but you already do. This will grow on you....enjoy and be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black