Spyder Garage

Default The engineer that came up with this should be hog tied and beaten to a pulp-RANT!!

Okay, first let me start by saying, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I started my journey of replacing the rear speakers AND installing the Corbin armrests. The design of putting nuts in a plastic holder that allows for the nuts to pop out of said containers if too much force is applied is ASS BACKWARDS. Yes, I'm sure there is some reason they did this, but for the life of me (and this goes back to my first statement), I can't figure it out. I popped one out of the armrest/speaker pod when I was re-assembling the pod. Okay, got lucky on that one, pulled the pod back out, found the nut (luckily it had not dropped all the way down inside the black hole), popped it back in, and re-assembled. NOW, I go to put the backrest back on. I am guessing that because the Corbin armrests sit a hair higher, that the seat took some force downward to line up the holes. Guess what, I popped one of those out too!!! Now here is where the engineer should be flogged, there is NO way to access that nut. The seat material is stapled all around the outside so there is no way to access it. After a couple of hours of HIGH frustration I was able to walk the nut back into place (countless times it was upside down), place alot of pressure on the vinyl side so it would not move, get the screw to thread, and then pull it back into the plastic snap. I finally got it all back together. RANT OVER!! Just had to get that out of my system!! Whew, I feel better now!! Now on to the front speakers once I have had my meds!!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

what kind of speakers did you buy? price? size? and where did you get them. thanks

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

One of the reasons I went with the Diamond R armrests. A much easier install!

Spyder Garage

Engineers are our friends..............until it breaks!
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Well, I guess we have to change their priorities. Instead of designing a product so that trained, skilled workers can put it together in a factory, they should be designing these things so that every amateur can disassemble them in 20 minutes to bolt on every possible aftermarket part out there. Sorry, I don't buy it. Aim your wrath at the aftermarket manufacturers who don't provide adequate warning or instructions...or at your teachers of yesteryear who failed to provide you with the training and skills necessary to do the job. It isn't the engineers' fault!

I hope you know I am pitching this back at you in fun. I am sorry you had a tough time...been there, done that. It is part of the game, though. If you choose to mod your ride, you have to be prepared to face some pitfalls.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Yep, I know!!! Patience is a virtue, so they say.

As for the speakers, the same as most everyone that has replaced them with. Polk Audio DXI 400 for rear, and DXI 525 for the fronts. I actually got the fronts at my local Best Buy, the rears were not in stock, I found a set on ebay at a pretty decent price. The fronts were on sale this week for 79 and I got the rears for 70.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You mean there is a way to make the stereo on a $30K machine sound like something????

Of all the things I commented on when we bought our RT-LTD, the only negative comment I made was the stereo sound just was TERRIBLE. I assumed it was the speakers. I saw someone made a mod on their RS and installed some sort of side mounted boxes that had 6" JL Audio speakers and an amp. I have those same speakers on my boat and they are wonderful but no place to install that setup on the RT.

So how bad is/was the disassemble just to get at the speakers (realizing you went beyond that for the rests)?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huntindawg1962 View Post
    You mean there is a way to make the stereo on a $30K machine sound like something????

Of all the things I commented on when we bought our RT-LTD, the only negative comment I made was the stereo sound just was TERRIBLE. I assumed it was the speakers. I saw someone made a mod on their RS and installed some sort of side mounted boxes that had 6" JL Audio speakers and an amp. I have those same speakers on my boat and they are wonderful but no place to install that setup on the RT.

So how bad is/was the disassemble just to get at the speakers (realizing you went beyond that for the rests)?
    It really was not as bad as I thought, except for the delays as I encountered. There are several threads that people have posted in and a couple of videos.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?22018-How-to-Replace-the-RTS-Speakers

I think there is a pretty well documented thread for the rear. But if you follow the directions for the armrests from Corbin, you will see what all is involved. Just get to the part where you replace the speakers and then stop and go backwards.
    http://www.corbin.com/can-am/install_ca-rt-10-arm.pdf

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINEERING

Hawk, that was the same engineer who put the rear wheel valve stem on the wrong side........But I have fixed that....Mike..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest better sets of instructions with full disclosure as to the most common "oops!" moments... They don't have to "dumb-down" the design; just the instructions!
    And while we're at it...let's get instructions that were written by someboy who actually SPEAKS our language as their primary one...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    written by someboy who actually SPEAKS our language as their primary one...
    It's called "Frenglish" once you are exposed to it long enough it all makes sense?
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can we get somebody from Calgary to translate??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can we get somebody from Calgary to translate??
    French+English=Frenglish

Silly wabbitt!
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Engineers are our friends..............until it breaks!
    Really?? You have never tried to rig a 747 Cargo Door!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Found the trick of those lose nuts

I had the same trouble with the lose nuts on the speakers screws. What I did use Hot glue gun and filled the gap on one side to hold it in place and had no trouble putting it together. Made sure the screws started ok and reinstall the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Okay, first let me start by saying, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I started my journey of replacing the rear speakers AND installing the Corbin armrests. The design of putting nuts in a plastic holder that allows for the nuts to pop out of said containers if too much force is applied is ASS BACKWARDS. Yes, I'm sure there is some reason they did this, but for the life of me (and this goes back to my first statement), I can't figure it out. I popped one out of the armrest/speaker pod when I was re-assembling the pod. Okay, got lucky on that one, pulled the pod back out, found the nut (luckily it had not dropped all the way down inside the black hole), popped it back in, and re-assembled. NOW, I go to put the backrest back on. I am guessing that because the Corbin armrests sit a hair higher, that the seat took some force downward to line up the holes. Guess what, I popped one of those out too!!! Now here is where the engineer should be flogged, there is NO way to access that nut. The seat material is stapled all around the outside so there is no way to access it. After a couple of hours of HIGH frustration I was able to walk the nut back into place (countless times it was upside down), place alot of pressure on the vinyl side so it would not move, get the screw to thread, and then pull it back into the plastic snap. I finally got it all back together. RANT OVER!! Just had to get that out of my system!! Whew, I feel better now!! Now on to the front speakers once I have had my meds!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

French+English=Frenglish

Silly wabbitt!
    Orrrrrr... French+English="WHAT did you just call me??"

Spyder Garage

You might want to try adjusting your audio settings. One of my RTs sounded absolutely horrible. I adjusted the bass and treble controls, and the fader, and it went from unintelligible to reasonably good.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Same effort to replace speakers as is install Corbin armrests because either way you need to remove the speakers. It is a complete pain in the butt. Just take your time and be careful.

I replaced all four of my speakers with the J&M speakers from Custom Dynamics. I love them, much louder and clearer than the stock speakers.
    Last edited by kinggeek; 05-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Bruisersbaby and I were talking about this just this weekend. We were doing a charity ride for the Red Cross, had the radio on and the rear speakers were sounding horrible. I adjusted the fade and bass but no good. We discused replacing the rear speakers. It's embarrasing when you're in amongst a bunch of bikes and your speakers sound sooo baad.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default J & M Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Same effort to replace speakers as is install Corbin armrests because either way you need to remove the speakers. It is a complete pain in the butt. Just take your time and be careful.

I replaced all four of my speakers with the J&M speakers from Custom Dynamics. I love them, much louder and clearer than the stock speakers.
    I agree the J & M speakers make a big difference. I expected to find holes in the stock speakers when I removed them but they looked fine(but sounded terrible). The J & M speakers have the correct terminals and specific installation instructions plus Custom Dynamics delivered them in two days.

Most importantly, I have a happy rider on back who can now hear music!
    Kevin

2012 RT Limited (pearl white) + bling

Spyder Garage

It's called "Frenglish" once you are exposed to it long enough it all makes sense?

Nuff said?

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Nuff said?

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD
    I'm Dyslexic, And it makes sense to me.