Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users W.P. Millington's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyderfest & Safety Recall

My wife and I just returned to our home in Florida from the 2012 Spyderfest in Cuba. It was amazing to see so many Spyder's in one place, the event was very well run. Being older fomer Goldwing rider's, we found some of the rides to be faster than we "straight road Fl. riders" were used to but the country was beautiful.
    When we arived home we found a SAFTY RECALL NOTICE in our mail box warning about a major brake problem that could cause total loss of brakes! This could have been DEADLY on some of those Mo. roads.
    I know that Cowtown had a lot going on BUT I think there should have been some kind of notice warning of this problem. They are one of the biggest Spyder dealers and probably knew of the recall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by W.P. Millington View Post
    My wife and I just returned to our home in Florida from the 2012 Spyderfest in Cuba. It was amazing to see so many Spyder's in one place, the event was very well run. Being older fomer Goldwing rider's, we found some of the rides to be faster than we "straight road Fl. riders" were used to but the country was beautiful.
    When we arived home we found a SAFTY RECALL NOTICE in our mail box warning about a major brake problem that could cause total loss of brakes! This could have been DEADLY on some of those Mo. roads.
    I know that Cowtown had a lot going on BUT I think there should have been some kind of notice warning of this problem. They are one of the biggest Spyder dealers and probably knew of the recall.
    You're making some assumptions here that may not be valid. Let's hear from Cowtown before we pass judgement. And how about posting this 'Safety Recall' because as far as I can tell, you're the only one that knows anythign about it. I've heard of no accidents related to brake failure on the Spyder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

This "recall" was posted in another thread I think by Lamont. I got the notice in the mail last week. As far as I know there have been no accidents reported from brake failure.

Just checked, it was posted by Lamont on he RT thread on 4/17.
    Last edited by bruiser; 05-05-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add additional

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    This "recall" was posted in another thread I think by Lamont. I got the notice in the mail last week. As far as I know there have been no accidents reported from brake failure.

Just checked, it was posted by Lamont on he RT thread on 4/17.
    You're right! 2010 RT brake pin recall info

2010 RT's only it looks like. No wonder I had not heard about it. But a very strange recall since, as Lamont says, this same arrangment has been used on all the RS versions with zero issues. Doesn't look like a life & death issue to me.

There are different degrees of 'Brake' failure and this one, though not ideal, appears to be an Un-Problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes, there is a recall dated 4/18/12 for the 2010 RT series only. I received it about April 30. The recall will replace the pins that secure the brake pedal connecting rod. The existing pins are secured with a spring clip and I understand that the replacement pins will be secured with cotter keys. I have checked mine and they are very secure but I will take it in and have them replaced when I get time. As with any spring type clip, these would likely become less secure if they had been taken off and put back on which mine never have. I can't find Lamonster's post but I think I remember him saying that some riders had already secured theirs with Zip-Ties.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I think everyone is missing the point, No one is blaming Cowtown. I think the rally went very well and the staff worked very hard. I just think that many people came from all over the country and probably left home before the recall arived at their homes. It would have been a good thing if Cowtown had put a notice by the registration table for all 2010 RT riders to see the service dep. I know I would have been very thankfull. There is no such thing as a small brake problem!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Yes, there is a recall dated 4/18/12 for the 2010 RT series only. I received it about April 30. The recall will replace the pins that secure the brake pedal connecting rod. The existing pins are secured with a spring clip and I understand that the replacement pins will be secured with cotter keys. I have checked mine and they are very secure but I will take it in and have them replaced when I get time. As with any spring type clip, these would likely become less secure if they had been taken off and put back on which mine never have. I can't find Lamonster's post but I think I remember him saying that some riders had already secured theirs with Zip-Ties.
    I did the zip ties. After all... I went to Spyderfest last year, several 150 mile trips to my Mother's, and Birmingham and no issue

I think everyone is missing the point, No one is blaming Cowtown. I think the rally went very well and the staff worked very hard. I just think that many people came from all over the country and probably left home before the recall arived at their homes. It would have been a good thing if Cowtown had put a notice by the registration table for all 2010 RT riders to see the service dep. I know I would have been very thankfull. There is no such thing as a small brake problem!
    Not necessarily. This would cause a major workload for Cowtown on the time of year where they dedicate their time to entertained Spyder owners that are not their customers. If there was an a 2010 RT that was getting serviced, they would go ahead and do the brake recall (and only if they had plenty of pin replacements). It would be unfair for both Cowtown and ryders who came from far away to have someone in their 2010 RT that did no business except participate in the events and get their recall serviced. If Cowtown had a good number of replacement pins AND the manpower to service them, then it would be a different story.
    Last edited by bullant12; 05-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

arntufun

I'm not one of Len's favorite people but I have to say what your saying here is BS.

Do you have any clue how busy those guys probably were with hundreds of Spyders at their dealer ???

Do you know Lamont posted this before Spyderfest ???

Do you know it is BRP's job to notify you, not a dealer you probably didn't buy your Spyder from ???

Did you know that a 2010 was made two years ago and if it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't ???

Your trying to point a wagging finger at Cowtown and that sucks your trying to do that. I'm usually tough on dealers, but in this case your way out of line.
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'm not one of Len's favorite people but I have to say what your saying here is BS.

Do you have any clue how busy those guys probably were with hundreds of Spyders at their dealer ???

Do you know Lamont post this before Spyderfest ???

Do you know it is BRP's job to notify you not a dealer you probably didn't buy your Spyder from ???

Did you know that a 2010 was made two years ago and if it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't ???

Your trying to point a wagging finger at Cowtown and that sucks your trying to do that.
    I usually don't agree with Randy, but on this issue
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Don't you just hate when that happens!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I did not mean that they should stop everything they were doing but it would have been nice to know there was a problem so I could have adjusted my riding schedule or made other arrangements. The recall said
    "This could cause a total loss of brakes without prior warning"! It went on to say "This condition may increase the risk of a crash possibly resulting in injury or death"! I think that takes priority over anything else. But to some people profit is more important.

Spyder Garage

I did not mean that they should stop everything they were doing but it would have been nice to know there was a problem so I could have adjusted my riding schedule or made other arrangements. The recall said
    "This could cause a total loss of brakes without prior warning"! It went on to say "This condition may increase the risk of a crash possibly resulting in injury or death"! I think that takes priority over anything else. But to some people profit is more important.
    At first your were yelling... Now you're screaming! And in RED. Hurts my eyes just to read it! You are way out of line on this one.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand how you can put words in the mouth of Cowtown "But to some people profit is more important" You couldn't be more wrong on that statement. As the others told you this info came out weeks before Spyderfest so you could have had this taken care of by your local dealer before you left for Spyderfest.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    At first your were yelling... Now you're screaming! And in RED. Hurts my eyes just to read it! You are way out of line on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I don't understand how you can put words in the mouth of Cowtown "But to some people profit is more important" You couldn't be more wrong on that statement. As the others told you this info came out weeks before Spyderfest so you could have had this taken care of by your local dealer before you left for Spyderfest.
    Like it was mentioned before(by Randy): "It is BRP's responsability to notify the owners about the recall, not the dealers" In fact, it came out in a couple of newspapers and online articles (besides this forum) and as said before, there was an alternative posted (zip ties), or just WAIT!! Keep in mind that the key words on the notice are could cause and may. The notice never mentioned to stop operating the vehicle until the unit was repaired. As SpyderAnn mentioned, the "profit is more important" statement refering to Cowtown was totally out of line.

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

"This could cause a total loss of brakes without prior warning"! It went on to say "This condition may increase the risk of a crash possibly resulting in injury or death"! I think that takes priority over anything else. But to some people profit is more important
    Sorry, couldn't handle all that red.

If you think about it, the list of 'Potential conditions that could increase the risk of a crash possibly resulting in injury or death' are endless. Like riding, for example.... If you tried to list them all you'd run out of paper.

The reality is, a very, very few are LIKELY and should be dealt with immediatly, some are REASONABLY POSSIBLE and should be addressed accordingly, and the vast majority are HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

This brake issue, in BRP's opinion, is possible and you have to respect that, HOWEVER...

1- As far as we know there are ZERO known cases
    2- 10's of thousands of Spyders with this same setup have been and are still running fine with no issues
    3- The fix is BRP's responsibility
    4- This 'Potential Condition' falls into the 'Highly Unlikely' category
    5- With all of this taken into consideration, coupled with the workload already on the shoulders of Cowtown personnel...
    6- It Just Isn't That Big A Deal

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    +1

How many people at Spyderfest either hugged a tree or kissed a ditch because their 2010 RT's brakes failed?

None that I know of...

I assume you made it home safely with no brake issues...

If you are so concerned about the recall, ryde or trailer your RT to a dealership and get the recall done.

I feel it's poor taste to slam the sponsor of a Spyder Meet you said you enjoyed going to...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    +1

How many people at Spyderfest either hugged a tree or kissed a ditch because their 2010 RT's brakes failed?

None that I know of...

I assume you made it home safely with no brake issues...

If you are so concerned about the recall, ryde or trailer your RT to a dealership and get the recall done.

I feel it's poor taste to slam the sponsor of a Spyder Meet you said you enjoyed going to...
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Re-call continued

Next .....
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

THE COOL-AID MUST BE REAL GOOD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THE COOL-AID MUST BE REAL GOOD
    Dude what is your problem? First off it is KOOL AID but I prefer Crystal Lite myself. Once you safely get your Spyder on a trailer (we certainly wouldn't want you to risk your life driving it) and hauled off to your dealer to have the big fix done maybe you will relook at this thread and realize how you pissed off everyone and were way out of line in your bashing of Cowtown. Everyone at Cowtown and the MO Gang worked their butts off to put on an outstanding event you obviously don't know these people or you would never have made the remarks you did.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Randy is correct. The responsibility to inform you of the recall was solely BRP's. In the US it is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the manufacturer's responsibility to decide how and when to inform owners of affected vehicles of any official factory recall. All BRP dealers including Cowtown probably have to follow a protocol specified in their dealer franchise agreement concerning such recalls, especially to the public at large. There are legal issues with every recall. BRP dealers must follow the proper protocol. Surely you can understand that.

Below is NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V159000 concerning this recall. As you can plainly see it specifically states: "BRP WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE PEDAL CONNECTING ROD PINS FREE OF CHARGE."

I hope this puts this issue to rest.

Report Date: May 6, 2012 at 02:01 AM
    Search Type: VEHICLE
    Make: CAN-AM
    Model: SPYDER RT
    Model Year: 2010
    Results : 1 | All records displayed
    Make: CAN-AM Model: SPYDER RT
    Model Year: 2010
    Manufacturer: BOMBARDIER RECREATIONAL PRODUCTS INC. Mfr's Report Date: APR 10, 2012
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V159000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:CONTROLS:FOOT CONTROL
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 3,259
    Summary:
    BOMBARDIER RECREATIONAL PRODUCTS INC. (BRP) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 SPYDER RT ROADSTERS. A PIN SECURING THE BRAKE PEDAL CONNECTING ROD COULD DISENGAGE AND FALL OFF.
    Consequence:
    IF THIS OCCURS, A TOTAL LOSS OF MAIN BRAKE FUNCTION COULD RESULT WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING. THERE IS AN INCREASED RISK OF A CRASH POSSIBLY RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.
    Remedy:
    BRP WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE PEDAL CONNECTING ROD PINS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE APRIL 16, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BRP AT 1-888-638-5397.
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bullant12;449945]Like it was mentioned before(by Randy): "It is BRP's responsability to notify the owners about the recall, not the dealers" QUOTE]

Actually, this is the order that I have found:

BRP
    spyderlovers.com
    the owner
    (and then the owner notifies) the dealer

In most, if not all cases, the dealer is the last to know.

I drink no one's kool aid; but, if I felt like the OP, I would have contacted Len/Cowtown directly.

To the OP: There is "kool aid" and there are "sacred cows". Just something to keep in mind.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Recall on Brake Pin

[QUOTE=W.P. Millington;449766]My wife and I just returned to our home in Florida from the 2012 Spyderfest in Cuba. It was amazing to see so many Spyder's in one place, the event was very well run. Being older fomer Goldwing rider's, we found some of the rides to be faster than we "straight road Fl. riders" were used to but the country was beautiful.
    [Got this recall which we believe is for the 2010 RTS model only, and have appt to have pin replaced. We're not aware of any accidents.
    ]

Spyder Garage

first time I do have a problem with the way BRP handled that problem..

Chris from Austria
    I drive a 2010 RT - most time with my wife ...
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

"CYA" is what I'm reading in BRP's statement.. I have a 2011 RT, I just checked mine..That's called "CMA", I'm impressed they can pinpoint the amount of RT's that have that issue. Must be great recordkeeping on inventory..