Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Limited or Harley Davidson Triglide

Hi all, new to this forum.  Thinking about getting my first motorcycle and it has come down to the Spyder or the triglide.  Any input about these two machines would be much appreciated.

zrc

Hey FWBCRUISER,

It is hard in my mind to compare the 2 machines you are talking about. In the reality of the situation, from this forum you will get a pro spyder attitude, I mean thats why we all kick it here, we love our machines.

I will encourage you to test drive BOTH, they are completely handling experiences, and different driving experiences. If you go to the harley forums it will be a pro harley slant I am sure.

For me, I believe the spyder is a safer and more fun ride. Given the technology in it, and perhaps I do not know enough about the triglide to give it justice in the safety department, so please review information on both. I am sure someone here can tell you more about a direct comparison between the two. But the fact remains, riding 3, reverse or regular trike is different than riding 2. Given that this is your first motorcycle, you have less of a curve to overcome.

If you are an ATV rider, I would weigh in and say the spyder is quite a bit like a 4 wheeler (at least to me it is, and Im an Artic Cat rider on 4 wheelers)

That being the case, and also knowing what it was like back in the day to ride ATV's on 3 wheels, I have the impression (AND THIS IS COMPLETELY BASED ON THEORY) that the spyder is easier to enjoy over a triglide. I have test driven a triglide, and I have riden my spyder over 10,000 miles since October the 15th when I got it.

Im pro spyder, I would be lying if I said I wasnt, but its just my opinion that its a safer, more fun, better machine. Do your homework, find owners of each, learn what can go wrong, learn what is cool and test drive!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the party!
    Spyder or Harley??? Very good question!
    The Harley had gobs of torque... roll the throttle on in about any gear and you're GONE!
    But the Spyder actually handles about a jillion times better... Two wheels up front allows it to hook up the front end in about any corner that you'd ever find... The Tri-Glides will push that front tire and try to go straight if you push them...
    You'd have that big engine sitting in your lap with the Harley, but the radiator blowing on your right leg with the Spyder... heat might be about the same...
    The Harleys are a bit "heavy-handed". Everything moves with a big clunk and a lot of effort. The spyder might feel a bit more...refined??

I prefer my RT, but when I get the chance to ride my buddy's Tri-Glide and twist the "loud grip" in 3rd gear and the front gets light...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I am getting a more unbiasd opinion here then on the Harley forum. I am going to Thunder Beach tomorrow and Can Am is there offering demos so I am going take one out and see how it feels. I do agree the 2 wheels up front will give more stability.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

If you can, ride them both and decide from there. Vastly different platforms! One has footpegs and the other footboards. Different seating positions, stability engine characteristics, etc. Other than the fact that both have three wheels, it is hard to compare. I am biased toward the Spyder, but your thoughts may differ.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FWBCRUISER View Post
    Thanks, I am getting a more unbiasd opinion here then on the Harley forum. I am going to Thunder Beach tomorrow and Can Am is there offering demos so I am going take one out and see how it feels. I do agree the 2 wheels up front will give more stability.
    Two different rides for two different missions;
    I had a Spyder for over 3 years 08 GS Sm5, I now have a Tri Glide.
    The 103 will pull stumps, The Spyder is sneaky fast.
    Coming from 3 wheel ATVs i had the perception that the Tri handled the same way, I was wrong i can corner just as fast as i did on my Spyder.
    That said the Spyder is a much easier trike to ride, Softer ride much lighter steering and quieter ride.
    Once on the high way the Tri tracks strait and true. The Spyder needs getting use to.
    Also the Tri only comes with a 6 speed manual with reverse [the Spyders reverse is 100 times better]/ no auto. The Tri can be a hand full to a novice, The Spyder is more user friendly.
    The Spyder more like an Snowmobile on wheels , While the Tri is as close as you can get to a motorcycle with an extra wheel..
    And your right about the other fourm.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder or Tri-Glide?

Hello, and Welcome!
    We actually do have both bikes in our family. My husband has the HD, and I have a 2010 RT-A. I agree with others that you should test drive both, and you're also doing a great thing by asking questions! I find the handling to be better on the Spyder, due to the independant suspension, where the tri glide is a straight axle. I was once forced onto an off ramp at 65mph, and the Spyder held the road beautifully, where the HD would have been in trouble. Also, speaking from a passenger's point of view, the (sorry about this) tri glide is more comfortable. Lastly, with the Spyder, especially when making a turn, the widest part of the bike is already though the turn, and it's just the opposite with the tri-glide. If there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to pm me through the board. Good Luck, and let us know what you decide!

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting dilemma

The Triglide has the classic Harley look, much larger motor (although air cooled versus water cooled is not an even comparisom), a long established worldwide rider's organization, and a vast network of dealers who will (usually) move you to the front of the line if you have service problems on the road. Downside: it was originally engineered to be a two-wheeler, the trike version is something of an afterthought.
    The Spyder on the hand, was engineered from the ground up to be what it is. Two wheels up front is an inherently more stable platform, not to mention the integrated Vehicle Stability System, which you won't find on the Harley. Of course the looks of the Spyder are somewhat more controversial (I happen to love the Spyder look, particularly the RS versions). Although the Spyder is a relatively new vehicle you can get valuable information regarding it and the dealer network through this site and other forums.
    Both are fine machines (and a blast to ride), but since you said this would be your first motorcycle, I would definitely recommend the Spyder. The learning curve between auto and Spyder should be pretty smooth.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to SpyderLovers!

I believe the Spyder has the advantage in braking, as most braking is done by the front wheel(s).
    The Harley likely has an advantage in the fuel economy department, giving it longer legs when taking those long trips.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm enjoying what I'm seeing here; Spyder folks talking about Harleys in an open and decently-informed manner!
    We ARE a bit biased; can we be blamed for that??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No harm in a few test rides to help decide.

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THREE WHEELS ..WHICH WAY

IMHO I think it comes down to this....where are you driving...on straight roads or roads that have curves/turns.....HD Tri-glides and GW's make great DRAG racers they go very well in a straight line.....But if you plan to turn BUY a Spyder you will be much happier.....and I mean No dis-respect to the three wheelers......Mike....

chickridin

We took a tri glide for a test ride and did NOT like it at all! The ride is rough and handles hard. We have a HD Ultra and I wasn't even close to being as comfy as a passenger on the tri as the Ultra. We even had an HD salesman tell us he couldn't understand why anyone would waste their money on one. Of course thi is just our opinion. Although hubby doesn't care for my Spyder, he does like the way it rides and handles.

I wanted to add".........test ride both and decide for yourself. Everyone likes different things.
    Last edited by chickridin; 05-04-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My good friend and neighbor across the street laughed at me when I brought home my first Spyder, an 08 GS. He had a HD. Said I didn't have a REAL motorcycle. Then I upgraded to the RT and the laugh became a slow chuckle. Two months ago he bought a brand new HD Triglide. We went on a road trip to Pioneertown, near Yucca Valley, and he didn't make it home. The clutch plates needed to be replaced. To the local dealers credit in Victorville they picked up the bike and replaced the clutch the same night. He got home late needless to say. Its a fine looking machine, I have to say. But I'm spoiled by my RT.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm enjoying what I'm seeing here; Spyder folks talking about Harleys in an open and decently-informed manner!
    I've had a couple of Harleys in my life (an 86' FXR....best frame HD ever made in my humble opinion, and a 97 Road King) and they were great bikes. The camraderie between Harley riders and the ability to easily find a dealership while on the road were additional benefits. If you had a problem on the road most dealers would move you to the front of the service line. In the nineties you may remember, HD could not produce enough bikes to keep up with demand. Dealers started charging thousands over MSRP, and acted like you were an annoyance if you were cluttering their showroom. At that point I decided I did not need that treatment and went on to ride a variety of other bikes including 2 Indian Chiefs, a BMW, and most recently a Stratoliner. Lately Harley dealers have come back to earth and I'm not one to hold a grudge. Had HD stuck with the idea of building a Y type trike (I believe their design had front wheels that leaned, so it turned like a two-wheeler...like a Piaggio scooter), I'd probably be riding an HD now.

It also seems the lion's share of Harley riders have gotten over the arrogance once associated with the brand. They're proud of their rides, but no longer so disparaging of everyone else's.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a Harley heritage soft tail and wanted a harley. test drove it first, then tried a Spyder. It's all personal preference. I would have been happy with either, but after a lot of thought about how I planned to ride I bought the Spyder. Never looked back, and sometimes hard to wipe the smile from my face.

Spyder Garage

Default Harley Penster

The HD prototype I was trying to remember in an earlier post was the Penster. Here's a link
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/04/h...ke-prototypes/

Bet it was a handful to turn!

Spyder Garage

I've seen the tri-glide, but I haven't ridden on one. I won't be much help for the comparison, but I did trade up from a HD Road King to an RT Limited. My main reasons for choosing the spyder over another HD is because I'm getting older and I want the safety. The spyder has many more safety features that the HD bikes don't have. The spyder also is more sporty to ride because there is no fear of it tipping over when you corner hard compared to other trikes.

I live in Texas and I was getting tired of sweating from thigh to head on my HD Road King. Setting over the motor in stop and go traffic during the summer was unbearable. I imagine that the tri-glide would be a similar problem with the motor and exhaust tucked under your legs. I know there can be a heat issue on the spyder with your feet, but I'd rather have hot feet than a sweaty crotch. Sorry for the visual. Also, the hot feet issue can be addressed with aftermarket mods. I don't think you can do anything about the heat on the HD.

With all of that said, I love the look of the HD. The trike and the spyder will turn heads if that is what you are looking for. I live in a military town and a lot of military ride HD bikes. HD is pretty common in my area, so a spyder gets more attention because there are fewer of them on the road.
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 05-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Wow I am new to the whole Spyder thing but well done. I agree x10 with theabove statement. Usually see the opposite on forums. Great bunch here.

I have looked at the HD products but poor dealer in my area so i have never purchased.

Josh

Spyder Garage

Default tri-glide vs spyder

well, this ole timer, has had both, so here's my 2-cent's worth, the Spyder is 1/2 the weight, & 1/2 the $ price of the tr-glide, & all my passengers prefer the softer, more comfy ride of the Spyder, that's my story & all of the passenger's story!! everything else is different!!, sorta like 2-girlfriend's they are both different, & both FUN!! hee-hee!!

Spyder Garage

I absolutely love my Spyder HOWEVER:

it is the most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever been involved with . 600 mile oil change and inspection 250 bucks, a dealer network that is either loved by all ( ie Cowtown) or totally inept and incompetent.

Seems to me that any decent wrench can deal with a Harley but if you follow these threads you will begin to see that it takes a very skilled, competent computer expert who can also wrench to deal with the Spyder

Oh yeah, it also seems that BRP would prefer that you the owner, fix things that are poorly thought out by them. For example: the turn signal indicator is totally iossible to see except at night and requires the touch of a surgeon to cancel consistently on lane changes.

It is the funniest machine to ride that I have. We will see over time how I feel about the cost of ownership.
    Last edited by Mspiv; 05-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum. Yes, we are a bit biased here when it comes to the . I had the same dilema when it came to purchasing my 2010 RT. I did go over to HD and check out the triglide.

My best suggestion, if you are unsure, is to test ride both and see what feels the best for you.

Pros: Cons: largely different engine sizes. Each vehicle is vastly different from each other. The HD does cost more. IMO: the is more techy with all the safety features. ABS, VSS etc. Maintainance cost: the is more expensive.

Ergonomically, the HD just did not fit me and I did not feel comfortable with the hardness of the controls. So I opted for the RT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I test road a GW 3 wheeler in Daytona. We went about a mile down the road and turned back because we didn't like it in the least. It felt unstable and seemed hard to handle. I've owned 4 HD's and a Honda CBR1000 Hurricane but like several others here wanted something that was a safer alternative. One test ride on the Spyder was all it took to make our decision. It handles great and felt very safe and with all the built in safety features to boot made allot of sense to us.

The Spyder is the only bike I feel comfortable with my wife riding on her own. I've never liked her riding a 2 wheeler. She loves the Spyder which is actually more hers than mine and with some more riding time for her, we will eventually be getting another one for myself. It won't be long because she's caught on so fast. The learning curve is quick. That's great for me cause I want an RSS for myself. Like I said, one ride was all it took. Good luck.
    His-2012 Spyder RT-S Quantum Blue ​SOLD / ​Hers-2012 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mspiv View Post
    I absolutely love my Spyder HOWEVER:

Oh yeah, it also seems that BRP would prefer that you the owner, fix things that are poorly thought out by them. For example: the turn signal indicator is totally iossible to see except at night and requires the touch of a surgeon to cancel consistently on lane changes.
    I totally agree with you, however, I just picked up my second RT last weekend. I had a 2010 RT-S for a little over 13 months and it was, indeed, buggier than a termite hill (with the turn signal issues you refer to). It would appear that BRP does, in fact, listen to the consumer because with my new 2012 RT Limited the self-cancelling turn signal actually self-cancels AND when having to manually turn off the turn signal following a lane change - no problem! The switch still has the mushy feel to it but you don't have to have the touch of a surgeon to cancel the signal. I've notice numerous improvements from the 2010 to the 2012 (I don't think it has anything to do with comparing an RT-S to a Limited).

Take care, my friend!