Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hogmanjem View Post
    His dealer here in Birmingham, Al offers a way to cut the service expense in that they offer a service package that covers the first 36 months at a savings of almost $1,100.00 during that time frame.That will go a long way in trimming the service cost difference between the Harley and the Spyder. I don't know if they all offer this and if all dealers honor this or if you have to have all services done at that dealership??? Maybe some of you on this site can answer that for me.
    Assuming that you don't want to or cannot do the service yourself, a maintenance plan can be a good deal if your dealer offers one. I bought a 36 month plan and with 11 months left on the plan I have already saved money over paying for individual services. Obviously, you need to ride quite a few miles for the service plan to pay off. My plan is strictly a dealer offered plan and has nothing to do with BRP, B.E.S.T, or anything else. My dealer's service department has done very good work for me so I have no reason to want to go anywhere else for service. I can't say what the dealer you mention does but my dealer, Family Powersports in San Angelo, Tx will pay the cost of service at another dealer if it becomes necessary to have it done somewhere else. For example, a service interval is due while you are on a long road trip. I don't think they would pay for it, nor would I expect them to, if I was 200 - 250 miles away from home in, say, Lubbock or Austin.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Assuming that you don't want to or cannot do the service yourself, a maintenance plan can be a good deal if your dealer offers one. I bought a 36 month plan and with 11 months left on the plan I have already saved money over paying for individual services. Obviously, you need to ride quite a few miles for the service plan to pay off. My plan is strictly a dealer offered plan and has nothing to do with BRP, B.E.S.T, or anything else. My dealer's service department has done very good work for me so I have no reason to want to go anywhere else for service. I can't say what the dealer you mention does but my dealer, Family Powersports in San Angelo, Tx will pay the cost of service at another dealer if it becomes necessary to have it done somewhere else. For example, a service interval is due while you are on a long road trip. I don't think they would pay for it, nor would I expect them to, if I was 200 - 250 miles away from home in, say, Lubbock or Austin.

Cotton
    Ok, Thanks! That is what I wanted to know.The only other question is what is the B.E.S.T. The dealer sold my brother an extended warranty but I'm not sure what it was. I know my friend John Law told us (he stopped by here on his way home from SpyderFest) when we buy ask for the B.E.S.T. warranty but the dealer here acted like they did not know anything about it??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FWBCRUISER View Post
    Hi all, new to this forum.  Thinking about getting my first motorcycle and it has come down to the Spyder or the triglide.  Any input about these two machines would be much appreciated.
    I am a relatively new "driver" having only had my license for a year. But I will chime in with my two cents worth. I got bit by the "driving" bug (having been a passenger on various bikes for 40 years) after my husband got a Harley Trike. I practiced in the drive way and finally took my written test, getting a permit so I could start getting road ready for my test. After I got my license (at age 61), I was riding the Harley Trike and doing okay. I was holding my own in group rides, although I do think I slowed down more on curves and turns than the other riders. I did a demo ride on the Spyders at Bikes, Blues and BarBQue in Fayetteville, Arkansas last October, and definitely liked it. After much debate, we finally made the jump and bought a Lava Bronze Limited RT about 3 months ago.

In my opinion, both trikes are comfortable to ride, the Spyder is just more rider friendly, especially to "newbies". And with the power features on the Spyder, it is easier to drive, you don't have to man-handle it on tight turns or corners. Since neither of us is especially thin, our Harley trike is more comfortable for 2 up riding, but we don't do that nearly as often now that we each have a Trike. I wasn't happy about having only "pegs" for my feet, but solved that problem with the Sealboards, which also serve as "highway" pegs.

I agree that the Harley is easier to service, but the Spyder is definitely a "Higher Tech" vehicle. I think BRP is working to build their dealer network and the popularity of these machines is definitely going to do nothing but grow. I love my Spyder and drive it frequently just to run errands. I know I ride it more than I did the Harley Trike, so I must like it better.

I think it comes down, bottom line, to how much you want to spend, and your personal preference on the way each handles. That is a decision only you can make.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slybird View Post
    I totally agree with you, however, I just picked up my second RT last weekend. I had a 2010 RT-S for a little over 13 months and it was, indeed, buggier than a termite hill (with the turn signal issues you refer to). It would appear that BRP does, in fact, listen to the consumer because with my new 2012 RT Limited the self-cancelling turn signal actually self-cancels AND when having to manually turn off the turn signal following a lane change - no problem! The switch still has the mushy feel to it but you don't have to have the touch of a surgeon to cancel the signal. I've notice numerous improvements from the 2010 to the 2012 (I don't think it has anything to do with comparing an RT-S to a Limited).

Take care, my friend!

Wow - I was reading the talk on here in other threads about the turn signal cancel issue - we picked up our 2012 RT-LTD on Friday and it did not take but 5 miles to give the cars behind me the left,right,left,right - light show. If this is fixed and better than it was, I feel for those who dealt with something worse - this truly is a lack of design. Looks great in the showroom without gloves works fine but - on the road - needs improvement. I went today and looked at the 2012 RS-S and it looked like that one i saw today had a bigger throw range (left to right) and more definite press zone for the cancel - wonder which one is the "improved" model?

I will add to the trike decision discussion that I bought this Spyder at a Harley dealership (also is a Can AM Spyder dealer). Originally went in to look at the HD trikes and the dealer immediately said we should consider the Spyder instead without any reservation (even though he had more HD trikes on the floor than RT-LTD's (he had just one - and we bought it). As another poster also stated - this one will be predominately for my wife so I was all over all the safety and design for handling that the Spyder had as opposed to the HD. Now the issue is that I like it too - so now I am faced with deciding about getting one for me at some point

Good luck on your decision process - either way you will enjoy it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Let me start off by saying thanks for the overwhelming response to my questions. The wife and I wen to Thunder Beach today and test drove a Spyder RT. After the demo ride we went straight to the local dealer to crunch some numbers. Well needless to say we are getting the Spyder. We are getting the RT Limited in Lava Bronze with the tan saddle. One ride convinced us.

Thanks again all!

Cool - that is exactly the one that we just got! The tan (which thankfully looks nothing like the catalog) really sets nicely on the lava bronze!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Welcome to SpyderLovers!

I believe the Spyder has the advantage in braking, as most braking is done by the front wheel(s).
    The Harley likely has an advantage in the fuel economy department, giving it longer legs when taking those long trips.
    While on our cross country trip last September, somewhere in South Dakota, we happened to make two or three gas stops along with the same couple on a tri-glide. I was pulling the 622 trailer and the other couple was pulling a smaller but attractive trailer. The Tri guy made the comment that my gas mileage must not be any better than his as we happened in to the same gas stations more than once. We surmised that the mileage was close to the same with both bikes 6+ gallon tanks. (i could be wrong but i think he said his was six). We were running around 80 mph on the interstate so our speeds were similar. I think either bike would be lucky to get 28 to 30 running loaded and at those constant speeds. With all things being equal I am sold on the Spyders safety features. The footprints with the two up front and the 8 inch print in the back. Also I think the tri is in the mid 30's with the Spyder from 24 to 30 thousand. I love the looks of the Tri glide tho.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrAwkward View Post
    Well I've been lurking here for a while reading and learning in the background trying to decide someting similar and here's what I've found. I currently own a Harley Ultra Classic and love it dearly, it's my 13th and final bike. I love the new Harleys and would ride forever but a medical condition with my feet makes three wheels my next venture. I am a die hard Harley guy, i have a big tattoo on my arm that will never go away but..... I would never buy the Harley Tri-Glide. It has a solid rear axle, a good enough reason to walk away but there's more. If you are on the Harley forums as I am you'll know the tri-glide has had many issues, and the extra weight makes the 103 engine work very hard especially if you rides in twisties or hills. I guess even though I'm a harley guy till i die I look at the Tri-Glide an ancient technology and the Spyder as newer technology. Again just my 2 cents.
    When I rode the Spyder I was disappointed in two things only. Lack of tourque down low, yeah again Harley guys are used to tons of tourque so you miss it. The other thing I wanted for on the RT-S I test drove was a sixth forward gear. On the highway the revs were too high in my opinion to get good fuel economy and keep the buzziness to a minimum. One more gear would've been appreciated. Last year I rode my Ultra from the Cape to FLA twice and on long trips keeping the revs lower makes for better enjoyment and less tiredness at the end of the day.
    In closing I love my bike but medical stuff dictates I change to three wheels. My choice sadly is not the Harley, it is the RT-L next fall after I sell my Ultra Classic this summer.
    Again just my 2 cents and as a newbie here I would've never weighed in except our search paths seem to align.
    Good luck with your search and whether you buy the Harley or Spyder join the groups - socialize and make new friends for life, I loved riding with my HOG brothers and sisters and leading rides.
    Get involved!
    Doc
    I know what you mean about the torque with the Harley or other cruisers, I have high rpm bikes in my garage as well as low ones. I will admit that it is a little hard to get used to an engine that loves to run in the 5 to 7 thousand rpm range vs. 2 or 3. The Spyder Rotax redlines at 9, man these things love to run in that upper range. Gotta remember these are two totally different machines from the ground up. Both are great machines. I did get used to the lack of torque even while pulling a trailer after a few thousand miles. I would like to see a lower 1st gear and a 6th on the other end though.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

For me I was looking at "How Much Bang For My Buck" could I get without comprimising safety or creature comfort.

I got my RT-S SE5 fully loaded & with a 622 trailer out the door for a few grand more than a basic HD-tri. Then there is the "Wow Factor" which comes at no cost! IF you do decide on a Spyder, I would reccommend the purchase of the BEST PLUS warranty.

Good Luck and Enjoy whichever ride you choose!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    While on our cross country trip last September, somewhere in South Dakota, we happened to make two or three gas stops along with the same couple on a tri-glide. I was pulling the 622 trailer and the other couple was pulling a smaller but attractive trailer. The Tri guy made the comment that my gas mileage must not be any better than his as we happened in to the same gas stations more than once. We surmised that the mileage was close to the same with both bikes 6+ gallon tanks. (i could be wrong but i think he said his was six). We were running around 80 mph on the interstate so our speeds were similar. I think either bike would be lucky to get 28 to 30 running loaded and at those constant speeds. With all things being equal I am sold on the Spyders safety features. The footprints with the two up front and the 8 inch print in the back. Also I think the tri is in the mid 30's with the Spyder from 24 to 30 thousand. I love the looks of the Tri glide tho.
    Harley lists the Tri-Glide with a 6 gallon tank but that doesn't necessarly mean it will hold 6 gallons of fuel. Plus some people get a lot more gas in their tank than others depending on how they fill them up. With such a small tank the possibility of getting the same amount of fuel into even the same size tank is small. Even 1/2 gallon can make a lot of difference.

Then different people will pull off for fuel at different fuel levels too.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Harley lists the Tri-Glide with a 6 gallon tank but that doesn't necessarly mean it will hold 6 gallons of fuel. size tank is small. Even 1/2 gallon can make a lot of difference.

Actually it does holds a full 6 gal. And if you fill it right to the neck a little more.
    I wanted to see how low the countdown gauge would go, At 10 miles to empty it reads low, Stopped for gas then ; 207miles and it still didn't take 6 gal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I am also on my second RT

As was the case with the above poster I had a 2010 RT as well. I kept mine for about 12 months and sold it. I never felt I could go anyplace for fear it would go into "limp home mode," or worse. It had constant recalls and was never maintained properly by the dealer.

I had a Burgman motorscooter for a year but missed the RT. I bought a 2012 two weeks ago and found a dealer I liked and I spent some time talking to technician who gave me the confidence that the 2012 models had many of the items taken care of.

I know a number of people who own HD and they admit they are full of problems but love the entire HD culture etc. I wish BRP had a larger dealer network for my spider, but if al goes well I should not need one except for routine mainainance.

I rode a Goldwing trike and it was a beautiful machine, but did not feel as stable as the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=2manycars;451462

"I know a number of people who own HD and they admit they are full of problems but love the entire HD culture etc. I wish BRP had a larger dealer network for my spider, but if al goes well I should not need one except for routine mainainance."

I have to respectfully disagree hear with 2manycars. As an avid Harley guy the bikes in the last 10-15 years are fantastic machines with very few issues. Doesn't mean there aren't warranty issues but then reading this forum lets you know there are plenty of issues witrh Spyders too! It's how they are handled that matters. The days of bad boy Harley bikers with oil leaking on the garage floors is long over. My newest bike is an 08 Ultra with nearly 30,000 miles. Never been in the shop for a warranty issue and oil changes tires, brakes, all normal maintenance issues are all thats needed to keep it humming.

The decision about whether to buy a Spyder of a Harley Tri-Glide should be about two wheels in front veresus two in back not about breakdowns or warranty issues, any production machine can have issues. Between the two bikes I'd chose the Spyder at this point in my life and thats from a die hard Harley guy. Just sayin...
    Doc

Spyder Garage

I've owned three V-Rods, and loved every one - IMHO, the best bike Harley has ever built. I truly wish they would expand that line -

After my research, it appears that Harley has put little engineering behind the TriGlide - it has problems and flaws that do not appear on any other Harley - what other Harley has reverse? How about the parking brake from my 1953 MG TD? Then there are the rear wheels and plastic that cup the engine heat around the passenger and rider? Of course, let's not let the EPA's catalytic converter and ETOH requirements - driving up heat - off the hook. Finally, there's the fixed axel, rather than using the differential, commonly found on other trikes.

If Harley really wanted to build a trike, and put some engineering behind it, they could own the market. For now, one just needs to read some of the threads on their forums, an see how disappointed many owners are.

An earlier point was made that many of these technical issues can be corrected, but, according to my local dealer, only with illegal and warrantee busting fixes.

Personally, I would love to see Harley as a real and viable competitor.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I own a 2010 Spyder Rt-S and a 2011 Harley Triglide . Both have advantages and disadvantages. I love both bikes but ride the Harley more due to better gas mileage and maintenance costs. I have had a lot of problems with the RT-S with a lot of time in the shop. I have had only a few minor problems with the Triglide . The only shop time has been for normal maintenance . The Harley seems to handle better in high wind conditions. As I said I really love both bikes, however I have put more miles on the Harley.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs Harley

I still have not pulled the trigger on a trike. Been going back and forth between the two ,however I was trying to get a test ride at the Harley dealership and they would not let me since I do not have motorcycle insurance. Well why would I have motorcycle insurance when I no longer own my Heritage Softail Classic ? It looks to me like having a motorcycle license would be enough, when I was looking at a trike costing $32,180.00....I guess not. I guess they can just loose that deal over that ! So I started looking at the RT Limited but prefer the Pure Magnesium Metallic color. I asked the Spyder dealer to figure the price on the RT-S and add all the extras to bring it up to the Limited and that would cost me $2,073.00 more than just getting the Pearl White RT Limited. So now I just have to decide if I want to pay the extra to get the color I want or save the bucks and get the Limited !

Spyder Garage

I am 1/2 Harley person and 1/2 Spyder person. I have owned many Harleys, including a Harley Trike. I am on my third Spyder. I love them both.

In my opinion, the Spyder is safer. It is better to have the two wheels in the front. Imagine yourself going down a steep grade in the mountains and having to make a sharp turn. Now imagine where the g-forces are wanting to send you. The g-forces can get to be too much for the single wheel up front. I have had the front wheel going sideways on my Harley Trike to the point where I thought maybe I would roll the tire off of the rim. On a steep downgrade, the tendency would be to tip the Harley Trike over. This probably cannot happen with a Spyder. There is a wheel out in front of you that would prevent this. Remember what happened to the three wheel (one in front) ATV. It was outlawed because it tipped too easily. I believe you could not tip over a Harley Trike on a level surface. On a steep downgrade it is different because the weight shifts to the front.

If you get the Harley Trike, do not take the curves faster than the posted speeds. If you keep your speed down you will be able to maintain control.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

hogmanjem;
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that you would be able to get a paint job or a wrap for less than 2grand.
    Jmo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs Harley

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    hogmanjem;
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that you would be able to get a paint job or a wrap for less than 2grand.
    Jmo

That's for sure ! I may just go ahead and get the Pearl White Limited and add some artwork and /or pinstripes to it ! I've seen a lot of options for that on this site and they look pretty good!!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    hogmanjem;
    Jmo
    Yep. Pete could put together a magnesium color themed wrap together quicker than you can say
    http://www.powersportswraps.com !!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well needless to say we are getting the Spyder. We are getting the RT Limited in Lava Bronze with the tan saddle. One ride convinced us.

Thanks again all!
    You've made a great decision, my friend!!! I've had mine for almost three weeks now, got over 1,500 miles on it and love it to tiny little bits!!!!!!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs Harley Trike...update

Well folks, I finally made my mind up and pulled the trigger today! I just bought a 2012 RT Limited in the Pearl White, so I guess I may need to change my handle from hogmanjem to hoglessmanjem ! The only problem now is the wait, because the dealer has to put it together as it just came in on the truck as we were doing the deal. I bought it 105 miles from home up in Hamilton, Al, but the dealer said they would bring it to me when they get it done for free. I thought that was pretty good service on their part ! Just thought I would give you all an update and I thank each of you for sharing information with me on this site, it helped a lot! Thanks,all.

Spyder Garage

Default Have ridden both

Hi all, new to this forum.  Thinking about getting my first motorcycle and it has come down to the Spyder or the triglide.  Any input about these two machines would be much appreciated.
    I realize you might have already made your choice by now, but here's my 2cents. I am a female and rode the Street Glide Trike and the Can-Am rt. The trike has to be physically pushed and pulled on the handle bars to turn. I also found when riding where there are ruts in the road your constantly fighting it. Was seriously wanting to buy it anyway. Then tried the Can-Am. Totally different animal. The automated steering is awesome. As other new riders have described, when doing turns, it felt like it wanted to thrown my body off! But all you have to do is "think" about turning and it does.

I have now owned the RT SE5 for about 2 months. Have almost 1000 miles on it and love it to death. Rode Harleys for 11 years and have never experienced such care free riding. I did get the semi automatic. And with seat time and have learned to lean forward and into the curve when turning. Cami si NOT going to tip or throw you off, she is going to hug the corners and put a smile on your face.

So, that's my experience. I would have been physically exhausted on a long Harley trike ride. But love my Cami.

Spyder Garage

CANGRATS HOGMAN!
    May the mods begin?
    So now it's time to make a place for it to park inside. Go re-arrange the garage so your better half won't have to park her car outside.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hogmanjem View Post
    Well folks, I finally made my mind up and pulled the trigger today! I just bought a 2012 RT Limited in the Pearl White, so I guess I may need to change my handle from hogmanjem to hoglessmanjem ! The only problem now is the wait, because the dealer has to put it together as it just came in on the truck as we were doing the deal. I bought it 105 miles from home up in Hamilton, Al, but the dealer said they would bring it to me when they get it done for free. I thought that was pretty good service on their part ! Just thought I would give you all an update and I thank each of you for sharing information with me on this site, it helped a lot! Thanks,all.

We bought our 2010 RT A&C from them a year ago april. Enjoyed dealing with them.... bought the RT over the phone and have not regretted it. they did an excellent job seting ours up, and met us halfway in Arkansas for delivery.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    We bought our 2010 RT A&C from them a year ago april. Enjoyed dealing with them.... bought the RT over the phone and have not regretted it. they did an excellent job seting ours up, and met us halfway in Arkansas for delivery.

They are a great bunch to deal with for sure. I bought their service package to cut the service cost and I will have a nice 210 mile round trip ride to get it serviced.