Thread: extra fuel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default extra fuel

any one have any pics/ideas of a gs pulling a trailer with extra gas ( jerry can ) not looking for the reda unit or the self fuelling keg type, any ideas on mounting a 2 gallon can ????

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS TRAILER

GAS TRAILER, You are not serious...Please tell me you are not serious,....Someone tell me He is not serious.......I will send you money for gas as long as you DON'T DO THAT.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    GAS TRAILER, You are not serious...Please tell me you are not serious,....Someone tell me He is not serious.......I will send you money for gas as long as you DON'T DO THAT.....Mike
    I agree just get a TDI or some other convertable car if you need 400 mi range

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm---seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me.

Although I agree, IMHO hauling a trailer is generally a bit of overkill, once you've take the step that you need a trailer for extra clothes etc, taking a gas can as well is not much of a stretch.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I completely understand he need for "extra gas".
    it fine if you always ride with Spydy folks on small tank low mileage folks or 100 mile folks but if you ride with the big tank hi mile hi mileage folks it becomes a real pain in the arse for the to stop every 100 miles or half tank so that you can fill up. Believe me I have been on both sides if this coin.

I guess however that carrying extra fuel still requires a stop so that problem is not addressed. Oh well, plan for a longer day I guess
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

Send the check to Forrest... He tows a trailer that has a gas tank !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS TRAILER

I think there is a Difference between bringing "some" extra gas and towing a "GAS" TRAILER......The gas trailer will have zero protection so in the accident that amount of gas will create an enormous FIREBALL or am I missing something........Mike.........

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think there is a Difference between bringing "some" extra gas and towing a "GAS" TRAILER......The gas trailer will have zero protection so in the accident that amount of gas will create an enormous FIREBALL or am I missing something........Mike.........
    I would prefer the Reda. Much safer. BTW. How much gas are you planning to haul?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Gas in a trailer

I pull a BRP 622 and had a 2 gal gas can in it incase I ran out or somebody else did same. Eventually i pushed my luck and got with in 50 foot of one gas station( up hill) and maybe 75 ft of another. Had to use the gas. Good thing I had it too. Because if you run out it's almost a gaurantee the gas station you get to WILL NOT let you "borrow" a gas can!!! I forget how many miles I went on that tank before I ran out but it DOES help if ya keep an eye on the guage!!! And I pushed it and lost.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    This is how I carry my extra gas. As I've stated many times I wouldn't own a Spyder without it. I've rode up there in your area and gas can get pretty far between stops so I understand. Yes it is definitely more expensive but oh so worth it!

Beside it allowed me to this with just 4 stops for gas!
    OK!! u got my attention! where did you get that? How much does it cost? If you installed it urself, is there a HOW TO? Thanks. I've pushed the gas level and lost!!! had to walk pretty far to get gas, only for the place not to have gas cans... Small shop and owner was nice let me (cough cough) fill up to big cups and carried them down the road like i was holding to drinks ( complete wit lids n straws).

Spyder Garage

It appears the OP asked about attaching a Jerry Can to a trailer, rather than install an extra gas tank.

I am not in favor of exposed gas cans on vehicles--since they can be a problem in the event of an accident.

Maybe someone can assist.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

No reason to run out of fuel if the darn gas gauge was meaningful ( interesting double entente).
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Spyder Garage

This is how we carried gas on a trailer, used Rotopax gas cans. http://www.rotopax.com/

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

RotoPax (1 Gallon) on the RT. With the RotoPax extension adapter, I put two 1 Gallon RotoPax with key lock. Chrome Rack from Inspector Gadgets:

http://www.spyderrt.info/1_2_Products.html

http://www.spyderrt.info/web_images/crome3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    any one have any pics/ideas of a gs pulling a trailer with extra gas ( jerry can ) not looking for the reda unit or the self fuelling keg type, any ideas on mounting a 2 gallon can ????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Max LTD; 05-06-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not looking to haul a GAS trailer, just looking for that extra insurance. Do not want to run the GAS GAMUT and then WTF do I do now sitting on the side of the hiway. Did the camping thing without the trailer, using side bags, it is painfull unstrapping them to fuel up, and then moving everything from the pump so the next guy person can fuel. The trailer idea just seemed like a better plan, haul more stuff, less hassle at the the pump. I don't know. But am going for the gold on this trip.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Max LTD View Post
    RotoPax (1 Gallon) on the RT. With the RotoPax extension adapter, I put two 1 Gallon RotoPax with key lock. Chrome Rack from Inspector Gadgets:

http://www.spyderrt.info/1_2_Products.html

http://www.spyderrt.info/web_images/crome3.jpg
    I like it! The Rotopax tanks and mounts are about the toughest out there, and this keeps them out of the impact zone.

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    Not looking to haul a GAS trailer, just looking for that extra insurance. Do not want to run the GAS GAMUT and then WTF do I do now sitting on the side of the hiway. Did the camping thing without the trailer, using side bags, it is painfull unstrapping them to fuel up, and then moving everything from the pump so the next guy person can fuel. The trailer idea just seemed like a better plan, haul more stuff, less hassle at the the pump. I don't know. But am going for the gold on this trip.....
    Lots of people carry gas cans on their trailers. Some put them in a spare cooler on the tongue, with their tools and spares, or just attach them to the tongue. That seems to be the safest location. Others have underslung Rotopax tanks, mounted them on top, etc. Possible leaks keep most people from putting them inside the trailer. They would really stink up your clothes, and could ruin your food. There is good reason for still using the REDA or Rotopax tanks in these situations, though. They are of sturdier constriction (designed for this purpose) and have O-ring seals for the caps, as well as safety catches to prevent the caps from unscrewing. There are too many vulnerabilities with a standard gas can, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I saw another brand while looking at those mentioned above. Kolpin Fuel Packs. Look to be a bit less expensive and the same concept?
    Both are a great idea.
    For a small amount of fuel, one could use some of the Sigg aluminum fuel bottles with the pour spouts?