Spyder Garage

Unhappy Seat coming apart

I bought my RS-AC new in March, drove it from St Louis to Melbourne, FL and now have a bit under 2100 miles on it. The other day I noticed the stitching on the mid-left portion of the seat is coming undone...the threads aren't broken, they just weren't sewn correctly. Today I took it down to the local dealer to talk about it and was basically blown off. I was told they'd take a pic of it and send a ticket in, but Can Am would probably say it was "cosmetic" and that's all there was to it.

Now, to me, if a seat on a near $30,000 vehicle starts to come undone in 2000 miles because it was incorrectly sewn, one would think, at least in the name of customer relations, they'd fix it (near impossible) or replace the seat. I had something similar happen on a Star motorcycle some years ago and it was fixed just like that. I'm going to call another, larger dealer about an hour and a half from me and see what they say. If I'm going to be blown off completely over this, I may have to rethink the whole thing...which I really don't want to do. I really like this beast.

I really hope it's the dealer...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the dealer. If you don't receive satisfaction, contact Crystelle (or Carlo if he's back) at BRP Customer Support.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty. They were replacing RT seats for a cosmetic issue.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

X2... Good Luck and let us know what happens!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    I bought my RS-AC new in March, drove it from St Louis to Melbourne, FL and now have a bit under 2100 miles on it. The other day I noticed the stitching on the mid-left portion of the seat is coming undone...the threads aren't broken, they just weren't sewn correctly. Today I took it down to the local dealer to talk about it and was basically blown off. I was told they'd take a pic of it and send a ticket in, but Can Am would probably say it was "cosmetic" and that's all there was to it.

Now, to me, if a seat on a near $30,000 vehicle starts to come undone in 2000 miles because it was incorrectly sewn, one would think, at least in the name of customer relations, they'd fix it (near impossible) or replace the seat. I had something similar happen on a Star motorcycle some years ago and it was fixed just like that. I'm going to call another, larger dealer about an hour and a half from me and see what they say. If I'm going to be blown off completely over this, I may have to rethink the whole thing...which I really don't want to do. I really like this beast.

My seat was doing the same thing and the service writer at Daytona Fun Machine brought it up and and had it replaced, maybe you could talk to them. Course that is where I bought it. Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

This is good to hear. I'm going to give Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee or Daytona Fun Machine a call and see what they say. I think the dealer I went to just didn't want to be bothered.

Thanks! I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Warranty of defective seat

My wife's 2011 RT had the same problem, stitching coming loose. The machine was only six weeks old at the time. Took it to the dealer and it was replaced within two weeks. No question, no problem! Sounds like your dealer is unmotivated.

Spyder Garage

A seat deteriorating on a new machine is definately a warranty issue in most cases. It amazes me that some dealers still do not want to be bothered by solving problems with and for the customer. I would think that this is a good place to make some extra points with the customer.

What's the problem with contacting BRP, get a replacement part, and satisfy the customer? I can't believe it costs the dealer anything to please the customer in a situation like this.

Please keep us posted on your situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So who's the knucklehead dealer that couldn't be bothered to help?

Spyder Garage

I took my Spyder to Daytona Fun Machines today (an hour and a bit ride) and they fixed the problem without even a blink. Had a new seat ordered within 10 minutes. They also discovered the other dealer had not fixed a recall item even though they said they had. They took care of that, too. When I got home I contacted the other dealer (Rte 1 Motorsports, not that I'm telling...) and informed them that the problem they didn't think they could "fix" had been taken care of and I wouldn't be doing any more business with them.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WONDERFUL DEALERS

NOT !!!!!...It's totally amazing what some dealers will/try to get away with just to make you Happy.....NOT !!!!!!!...Makes me want to cry or lock and load.....Mike...
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-05-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

the seam stitching at the horn of the saddle
    began to come apart about a year into riding.
    I went to our dealership, had the svc advisor
    take a picture, send it into Can Am for review,
    and a week later... they were swapping out
    seats. no hassle, no question, no problem.

our dealership does a GOOD job at trying to
    accommodate the people that have concerns.
    it doesn't always work out... but they try pretty
    damn hard.

Spyder Garage

I took my Spyder to Daytona Fun Machines today (an hour and a bit ride) and they fixed the problem without even a blink. Had a new seat ordered within 10 minutes. They also discovered the other dealer had not fixed a recall item even though they said they had. They took care of that, too. When I got home I contacted the other dealer (Rte 1 Motorsports, not that I'm telling...) and informed them that the problem they didn't think they could "fix" had been taken care of and I wouldn't be doing any more business with them.
    Glad to hear DFM took care of you. Sure sorry to hear about the other dealer since they are closer to you. Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Spyder Garage

Default Wonder if...

I wonder if the first dealer blew you off because they knew you lived nearby but went out of state to buy your machine. It's too bad really they missed your original purchase and now they'll miss out on all your future purchases too! Sound like a lousy business plan!

Spyder Garage

About 1-1/2 years after I got my RT I notice the stitching on the right side by my leg was wearing very fast. Took it to my dealer and with no questions asked. I got a new seat.
    Steve

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default seat coming apart

my first seat came apart at the seam under limited sign and was replaced no problem, now second seat doing the same and dealer just said ok and ordered me another i just hope BRP GET THIS PROBLEM CORRECTED AS I SEEM THAT I WILL USE UP ALL THERE EXTRA STOCK. Good luck to everyone else 26000 miles and counting all good miles.
    Life is good when the wheels are turning.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my 2011 RTS SE5 in November of 2011. About 3 weeks to a month ago I noticed the stitching shredding where the horn meets the seat. I pointed that out to my dealer at my 3,000 + oil check and the other things they do during that visit.......$350 later!!!!!!!!!! I showed the owner the seat and he took a picture of it to send to BRP to see IF it was a warranty issue. IF????? I am calling him tomorrow to see what BRP says. This dealer is close to me and they know it.......the seat better be replaced. I haven't had it 6 months and I'm not a heavy person... My dealer won't even allow me in the service bay to see what they are all doing.....on this visit they also charge me for 3 hours labor and I was only there for 2........had to raise Texas hell with them to rectify their overage. What the heck is going on with some of these dealerships? They are so quick to sell these machines but follow up from them seems embarrassingly lacking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    I bought my 2011 RTS SE5 in November of 2011. About 3 weeks to a month ago I noticed the stitching shredding where the horn meets the seat. I pointed that out to my dealer at my 3,000 + oil check and the other things they do during that visit.......$350 later!!!!!!!!!! I showed the owner the seat and he took a picture of it to send to BRP to see IF it was a warranty issue. IF????? I am calling him tomorrow to see what BRP says. This dealer is close to me and they know it.......the seat better be replaced. I haven't had it 6 months and I'm not a heavy person... My dealer won't even allow me in the service bay to see what they are all doing.....on this visit they also charge me for 3 hours labor and I was only there for 2........had to raise Texas hell with them to rectify their overage. What the heck is going on with some of these dealerships? They are so quick to sell these machines but follow up from them seems embarrassingly lacking

It is baffling. When you think of how much it cost to repair these things, there is much more money to be made in providing great repair/maint. service than there is to making the sale.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that a fix is in the works and you've found a dealer who wants another great customer!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Just called my dealer...........AGAIN

Just called the owner of the dealership.......what a waste. I asked him what BRP said about my seat unraveling and he paused for a while, then regrouped and said just a minute and put me on hold. He comes back and said he sent an email to BRP weeks ago but they haven't responded. He will "try" again on Monday. Monday??? To send another email or actually pick up the phone and call them. He proceeded to hurry me off of the phone........AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG AGAIN!!!

I will be calling him again on Monday........wondering at which point I should look up the number to Carlos???
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

This seems to be a on going problem. My orignal RT seat was replaced with no problem. Dealer took a photo sent it in and a couple weeks later a new seat, but now this one is doing the same thing. Service rep they would check it out next week. 15K check
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Just to let everyone know, they replaced my original seat today. Took the beast in at 11am and was on my way by 1pm. Hopefully the new seat will last a little longer than 2000 miles...

Daytona Fun Machines did a great job and it only cost me the gas to drive to the dealer.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

this does seem to be an ongoing problem.

the last time I washed the RT, I noticed the
    vinyl is separating from the backing material,
    almost at the same spot. I have to take it in
    for the brake clip recall this week, so I'll have
    it looked at and see what BRP has to say. our
    dealership is pretty good at taking care of the
    problems. much of the delay for them is having
    to wait on BRP to respond and decide.

Spyder Garage

Default Why not the local dealer?

I wonder if the first dealer blew you off because they knew you lived nearby but went out of state to buy your machine. A good guess. In theory it should not matter, in practice at some dealers . . .

It's too bad really they missed your original purchase and now they'll miss out on all your future purchases too! Sound like a lousy business plan! On whose part? Needed a good saving on purchase to offset the now continous added cost.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    I wonder if the first dealer blew you off because they knew you lived nearby but went out of state to buy your machine. A good guess. In theory it should not matter, in practice at some dealers . . .

From what I'm hearing, I'm not the only person who has had problems with this particular dealer. It seems that after the purchase, they pretty much don't care.

And I would have bought from them if they would have budged some down from MSRP, take it or leave it.

Also, I didn't buy from the other two dealers in the area and I'm not having any problems with either of them.
    Phil

2011 Spyder RT-AC