Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 .45

Spyder Garage

Default 1911 .45

Any of you gun guys know who makes a good quality, not in the stratosphere priced 1911 .45? I'm looking at starting target shooting again and always loved the 1911.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I'm a Glock man...but since you stated 1911 AND reasonable...Glock does not make a 1911 style gun, and you took the Sig 1911 clone out or the pic due to cost...

How about the Smith & Wesson SW1911?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why are you coming back into the sport with a .45? I'd imagine that starting back out with a rimfire sidearm would be cheaper...
    But as far as .45s go; take a look at Springfield
    Good Luck and let me know what you decide though; I've been a paper-puncher for 30 years now....
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with Bob, why the heavy caliber for plinking?? Can do a whole lota rim fire rounds for the cost of 1 box of 45 ammo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 1911 .45

I have a Taurus 1911 .45 that is a truly awesome gun and it does not cost an arm and leg. It is very accurate and reliable. I also have a Springfield XD .45 that is a great gun, but not a 1911. If you want a 1911, I would recommend the Taurus.... Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Redjim View Post
    I have a Taurus 1911 .45 that is a truly awesome gun and it does not cost an arm and leg. It is very accurate and reliable. I also have a Springfield XD .45 that is a great gun, but not a 1911. If you want a 1911, I would recommend the Taurus.... Good luck.

I ended up buying a taurus as well, but for plinking you may want to get a .22 cal conversion kit

Spyder Garage

Colt IMO! And a Lee Turett press....haven't checked recently but I used to be able to fire hand loads for roughly the same cost as .22's.
    And you never know when a couple thou extra rounds might come in handy!
    '09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    The new Ruger is getting some great reviews-
    I've not handled one of them yet, but Rugers have tended to have the most MISERABLE triggers out of the box that I've ever seen!

I think that they've let their legal department kill of the the engineers and screw with the tooling themselves!

That having been said; I've owned 3 of the Mark II .22s and used them extensively in indoor matches. Once you get the triggers right; they do know how to find the center!
    I currently have a Colt 1911A1, a Springfield Armory compact, and a Smith & Wesson 4516... Love the .45!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 45's

Kimber and STI is what I perfer...
    2010 RTac, Utopia backrest, spyder pops heat shield, KewlMetal grip endcaps, Gps mount, hmt tail lights, day ryders, siebel horn, Kohmo ast tire.. oh yeah wife of 25 years always on the back seat with q2 headset!Correction!!!!.. the Bastrop fires engulfed the poor spyder after 16000 fun filled miles. Now riding 2011 metalic RTS with nbv footpegs, heat shield, hmt with strobe, Utopia backrest, and the same wife of 25 years with g4 headsets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Kimbers are great; but their prices aren't quite so nice...
    But they sure do shoot well!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Kimbers are great; but their prices aren't quite so nice...
    But they sure do shoot well!
    I like the Kimbers too, but I prefer the Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Its price is also not so nice. I'd lean towards Springfield or Ruger.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've "bolted" a ton of Ed Brown's parts into all of my .45s. (Like your Beavertail grip safety;got the same one!)
    I also dig the stuff from Chip McCormick; use his carbon fber triggers wherever I can!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have springfields, rugers &colts multiples of each in .45. springfields are my favs, have 2 compacts , 1 with cremson trace laser lite grips, these 2 are my everyday open carry weapons. .45's require a certain amount of practice to be proficient, but the practice is fun anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I salute you sir! Old Slabsides has worked out pretty well over the years and it's my favorite carry sidearm.
    Fullsized 1911A1 in a Galco SOB...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob, Been commited to open carry for some years now. Never leave the house unarmed,in montana it's quite common, when we ride in Wash, or oregon people can sometimes act like sheeple, but I got over that years ago. So I should be pretty easy to pick out, riding into Durango, what do ya think. Just following my bride on her , me on my harley. see ya there

Spyder Garage

I've "bolted" a ton of Ed Brown's parts into all of my .45s. (Like your Beavertail grip safety;got the same one!)
    I also dig the stuff from Chip McCormick; use his carbon fber triggers wherever I can!
    Thanks, that photo is actually one off the Ed Brown site. I was at work and didn't have access to a picture of mine. Here is what mine looks like. It is the same gun with an aluminum grip cover. The wood grip cover was a little painful sticking me in the side during concealed carry. The aluminum one is cool at first, but then warms right up. It doesn't poke me like the wood grip did. The wood grip felt like a bunch of needles.
    Kobra Carry.jpg
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 05-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Springfield for me. Original Colt if I can get one at a decent price would be nice too. For plinking, .22. However there are some indoor ranges that will not allow rimfire. May even want to consider a .380.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 1911

I think the Tarus 1911 has about the lowest price. The retail at my local gun shop was $699.00. A lot of the other brands were $1100.00 to $1200.00 and more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a "previously owned gem that was only "driven by a little old lady to Church on Sundays"... Some careful shopping and knowing what to look for and you'll save a ton of coin!

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Springfield for me. Original Colt if I can get one at a decent price would be nice too. For plinking, .22. However there are some indoor ranges that will not allow rimfire. May even want to consider a .380.
    I've not handled one of them yet, but Rugers have tended to have the most MISERABLE triggers out of the box that I've ever seen!

I think that they've let their legal department kill of the the engineers and screw with the tooling themselves!

That having been said; I've owned 3 of the Mark II .22s and used them extensively in indoor matches. Once you get the triggers right; they do know how to find the center!
    I currently have a Colt 1911A1, a Springfield Armory compact, and a Smith & Wesson 4516... Love the .45!

How is it you want me to accept your right to bear arms, but you could care less about my rights regarding police checkpoints ???

GOT YA !!!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because my right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America...
    Driving isn't a right; it's a priviledge that can be taken away if you misbehave...
    Got who????

arntufun

Because my right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America...
    Driving isn't a right; it's a priviledge that can be taken away if you misbehave...
    Got who????

I thought the 4th admendment is guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America...
    as well ???

GOT YA Again !!!!!

I hope Firefly a sees this thread.
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-04-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh it is... I'd certainly want them to show cause as to why they want to search me or my home... But if they have a good reason to; why not?? They'll get nothing but bored for their best efforts anyway.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up you can get a regent 45 for around 450.00

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Any of you gun guys know who makes a good quality, not in the stratosphere priced 1911 .45? I'm looking at starting target shooting again and always loved the 1911.
    on gun broker you can get a regent 45 for around 450.00 equal to any you would pay 850.00 for. i belong to gunsmith club and this gun has been highly rated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A few more details please... For That kind of money you've now picqued MY interest too!