Spyder Garage

Default Loading Spyder into Toy Hauler

Anybody do this? Back in or drive in? Does nose hit the ramp? Any imput will be appreciated, thanks.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

It's probably easier to drive the bike front end first rather than backing it up a ramp.

The trick to getting the bike up the ramp without hurting the front bumper bottom is to come in at an angle (turn the bike to the right or left like you're starting to go into a curve), not straight up because the wheels will keep the bumper from hitting the ramp.

ETA: Learned about riding the bike up by watching the guys at Cowtown do it several times on a number of bike loading times
    Last edited by SpyderMeLucky; 05-01-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I use 2-2"x10"x16" and set them on end of ramp door. It all depends on angle of where your parked at. It always changes. In all of my travels this has always worked. Also drive in foward. Spyder don't like going in backwards. Its is not good to do that also it will just spin.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    Anybody do this? Back in or drive in? Does nose hit the ramp? Any imput will be appreciated, thanks.
    I have 2the RS Spyders I load in my toy hauler together. I drive one in forward and I back the other one in and neither ones nose touches.

Spyder Garage

It really depends on the toy hauler. They are not all the same.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We backed the RS into the toy hauler but we did that so there was room for another motorcycle. Didn't have any issues with scraping the nose on the RS.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default loading spyder in toyhauler

At first try my nose hit the ramp also , so I put down two 2x6 for the front wheels & a shorter 2x6 for the back wheel , since my rear wheel was wet from the wet grass I still could not make it up the ramp so I drove up the ramp as far as I could , then lucky for me I bought a come along from my neighbors auction , tied to the front axle on both sides of bike put the bike in netural & winched it up the ramp , piece of cake. If your back tire & boards or dry you do not need the winch. You may want to use 2x8's since my 2x6's did bend a lot but did no t break. Walt
    Last edited by project.618; 05-02-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel spinning

I always back in, & to solve the wheel slippage, I painted the ramp with anti-slip paint. It worked.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a good idea!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the suggestions, the toy hauler already has a non-slip mat so it may back right in (then I'll just have to see how the weight sits), it's an '08 Puma Unleashed that I'm getting from a buddy who bought a diesel pusher. I'm pretty familiar with it as he and his wife frequently invited us to come along for trips.

arntufun

Spyders in the ADKS 7-28-11 222.jpg

On mine the nose of the Spyder does not even come close to hitting. I back mine in.

I just installed indoor/outdoor carpeting on my ramp yesterday and I will let you know how it works when I go camping next week.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No slip paint

I made some plywood ramps and needed an anti slip surface. So I took some sand and sifted it through some window screen. Then i washed the dirt out of the sand, and added about a cup of it to a quart of latex paint. This worked well.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Tie down points

I'm looking under my 2014 RT and I'm not seeing a lot of places to hook on to tie down the beast? Any suggestions? I put straps around each front wheel and tied toward the back and around the back wheel and tied toward the front. It worked ok, but I'm concerned I'll screw-up the alignment????

Spyder Garage

I load them with air bags down due to my 44 ft toy hauler and use wood blocks on all three wheels long ones work great. And when you unload I do it on the road befor setup. Always ck ground tops to back where vere you go..

Spyder Garage

Default Winch my Spyder

I ride a 2013 RT Limited and we just bought a 2018 Coachman Catalina Trailblazer 26TH. A great toyhauler pull behind just under 30'.
    2013-CanAm-Spyder-RT-Limited5.jpg 26th.jpg winch.jpg

The Spyder needs to go in rear-first in order to clear kitchen counters. After a couple attempts to prevent bottoming out, here's what we did.

1. I bought an AC 1,500lbs winch (come-along) at Harbor Freight, assembled it onto the mount.
    2. Measured distance to each of two 5,000 floor anchors and attached the winch to sections of chain from each end of the mount (using shackles that stay in place) to the anchors with rated slip hooks (that easily go on and off). The winch sits on a thick foam pad to protect the floor.
    3. Placed a short tow strap on each side through the passenger hand grips, linked them together, and attached to the slip hook on the winch cable. The grips are plenty strong enough because the bike is rolling and not dead weight.
    4. My wife works the winch while I guide the bike up backwards (walking next to it). Once it's off the ramp, we unhook everything and roll it into place.
    5. The trick is to maximize the tongue height. I do this by using plenty of wood under the front power jack so when it's time to lift the front end up, I get plenty of height. Be sure to lower the rear stabilizers once you jack up the front. The higher front end (well beyond level) makes the angle of the ramp flatter and the bike rolls right in!
    6. The winch stays hooked up until we reach our destination and then once we unhook from the truck, we jack up the front and roll the bike right out with the winch. Then we just slide the winch, on the foam pad, under a table and out of the way...ready for when we load back up.

No worry...no fuss...no big deal if the ramp is wet...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve635 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, the toy hauler already has a non-slip mat so it may back right in (then I'll just have to see how the weight sits), it's an '08 Puma Unleashed that I'm getting from a buddy who bought a diesel pusher. I'm pretty familiar with it as he and his wife frequently invited us to come along for trips.

Had the same issues. Purchased race ramps and it solved the problem. You probably want
    RR6 ramps

Spyder Garage

Default Tie down spyder

Quote Originally Posted by charles_1947 View Post
    I'm looking under my 2014 RT and I'm not seeing a lot of places to hook on to tie down the beast? Any suggestions? I put straps around each front wheel and tied toward the back and around the back wheel and tied toward the front. It worked ok, but I'm concerned I'll screw-up the alignment????
    Put a strap over in/the center of the rear wheel, run the strap under the spyder( the strap won't scratch the paint) and secure the strap in the front of your trailer.

Send a pm to Mike( Blueknight911) he can help you with this, he used the above on my 2012RTS-SE5 spyder, and the spyder did not move.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

We have tie down points thru bolted to the floor and use the Can Am tie downs that have padding for around the wheels. One each corner. The setup of the ramps is a bit much but it accounts for our approach angles...no scrapes for our 2013 ST limited or our 2014 RT limited. I do have room in my 12 foot garage to haul the ramps

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Spyder Garage

Where did you hook the winch?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Philmeeker View Post
    Phil, hopefully you realize that you are asking a question of nobody in particular, and doing that in a thread that has had no action for 3 1/2 years?

When asking a question, it's best to use the "Reply With Quote" button at the bottom of the post you are questioning. That will show up at the beginning of your post, much like your quote is shown at the beginning of my post here.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Philmeeker View Post
    As Steve W. mentioned, this is an old thread, but reading the post with the winch I believe he hooked to to the floor attachment points using a chain between to of them and attaching the winch to the chain between the floor hooks in line with where he wants to pull the Spyder to. He put the winch on a thick foam pad so as not to scratch the floor.

On our Winnebago Spyder 28KS the ramp is short and the rig is tall, and that makes for a steep ramp. The nose hits the ramp before the wheels touch it, and if I do get it up the ramp it high centers under the trike at the point the ramp meets the trailer. I lift the bottom the ramp with jacks and use a series of ramp I had at home. The ramps go into the back of the truck, and live under the trailer when we set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Here is an easy solution instead of ramps “if it is close.” With the trailer/ toyhauler attached to the truck simply take 3 or 4 (2x8’s) and nail them together to make a mini platform. I cut 45 degrees on one end. Put then in front of your “back tire” on the “truck.” Put the truck in 4x4 and drive onto the mini platform. Now the back of the truck is about 6 inches taller which lowers the back of the toyhauler. My 2 toy-haulers and snowmobile trailer don’t really need an additional ramp but at campground occasionally it not level and the back of the trailer is to high/ to steep of ramp. It works perfect rather than disconnecting the trailer and raising the tongue.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”