Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Elka shocks

Spyder Garage

Default New Elka shocks

We had new Elka shocks put on at Spyderfest and I definitely felt a huge difference in handling, especially in the wind and on corners! A big Thanks to John for the adjustments . Made our ride home in the rain so much easier!

Spyder Garage

I told you

Spyder Garage

And...you were right .

Spyder Garage

It was good to spend some time with you guys. Hope you can make it to the BBQ one day.

Spyder Garage

Nice spending time with you too...love the stories ...we hope to make the barbeque, fingers crossed. Did your wife like her skull?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Macca View Post
    Nice spending time with you too...love the stories ...we hope to make the barbeque, fingers crossed. Did your wife like her skull?
    She did but it had one piece that broke on the ride home. She said she can fix it.

Spyder Garage

I am glad you like them, and it was a true pleasure to meet you and your husband at Spyderfest. It was cool to talk music with a fellow musician !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks

I also had the Elka shocks at Spyderfest and they are great wished I done it a long time ago. A couple named Joe and Kathey recommended them highly so I said what the heck and had them installed just wanted to say thanks to all the hard work everyone done on all the installations we Spyder owners had done Great Job see you next year.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We had them installed all the way around and found them to be great also. We had the Michelin Hydroedge installed about 4000 miles ago and love that tire also, but when we ride 2 up which we always do when we hit hard bumps or dips the panel above the rear tire would rub slightly on the tire, and I was worried that we might rub a hole thru that panel and open up a world of trouble on rainy roads. We don't have to worry about that anymore with a lot of clearance thanks to the Elkas. Thanks to Len and his crew for the installation and to John with the Elka tent for the final adjustments! Love the Elkas!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Same for me...

I had the Elkas done at SF. John set them up normal and I came back the next day and he added one more turn of pre-load and WOW!

Did anyone who got the Elkas notice that they smoothed the access road up to Cowtown while they were being installed?

Also, I rode my favorite twisty here at home yesterday... smoother, flatter, faster, better, easier! Thanks to John for installing, setting up and helping me to understand this fantastic technology... and to Len for even finding me a set !!!
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I am glad you like them, and it was a true pleasure to meet you and your husband at Spyderfest. It was cool to talk music with a fellow musician !
    Nice to meet you too!!!....until next year

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post
    I had the Elkas done at SF. John set them up normal and I came back the next day and he added one more turn of pre-load and WOW!

Did anyone who got the Elkas notice that they smoothed the access road up to Cowtown while they were being installed?

Also, I rode my favorite twisty here at home yesterday... smoother, flatter, faster, better, easier! Thanks to John for installing, setting up and helping me to understand this fantastic technology... and to Len for even finding me a set !!!
    Yeah!!!

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Was looking at the elka site, considering them for my Spyder. Be nice if there were prices posted there. Guess if you gotta ask for pricing, they are too expensive.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Cool Elka

I too got the shocks, incredible difference. Worth the investment.

How were your Cheerios?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Got the Elka shocks as well

Had those shocks installed at Spyderfest and the passenger noticed almost faster than I did that the ride improved, was more stable in the wind and we were not as affected by semis on the interstate. I also want to thank-you John for assisting in getting that set of shocks and helping saving me with my shoulder issues. Those shocks are great and made the ride home Sunday in somewhat "wet" weather a much easier ride!

Thanks again John and everyone at Cowtown who made it happen!

Diana

Spyder Garage

I too bought a set of Elkas at Spyderfest but I was late getting there so they were sold out. I am still patiently waiting to experience the ride everyone is talking about. Good thing Len and Cowtown are close to do the installing when they come in.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default What kind of price?

I haven't considered the Elkas only because the pricing seems to be a secret. After dropping $30k on the new RT Limited, $1500 for Corbin seat, and several hundred in additional lighting in the last 2 weeks (and I didn't go to Spyderfest) I don't know what the budget can spare or the real worth of the shocks. If they stop the crosswind and semi-truck induced swaying they might be worth buying. But at what price?

I HATE web sites that make you send a quote request. I spend thousands $$$ on-line every year for my farm & sawmill business and my expensive ham radio addiction and NEVER buy when I have to request a quote first just to get a ball park figure on cost. I hope Elka reads this.
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

pitbull

Glad every one likes there new elkas, I love them too!!! I've been an elka fan longer than there has been spyders!!!

On the price quote there will soon be a new elks direct site up and running with a discount code for all spyderlover members. You will be able to but in your weight, passengers weight, and percentage of 1up verses 2up and riding stlye, plus buy on line. It will be up and running soon elka's made easy, there will also be a dealer section so you can get your local dealer to start stocking the product. Going to change they way we do bizz but will better serve the entire community, for dealer and customer, and be user friendly, Elkadierct.com comming soon
    Last edited by pitbull; 05-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
    I too got the shocks, incredible difference. Worth the investment.

How were your Cheerios?
    Hey Big bad Bob....no cherrios for us, we had a delicious breakfast!!! We have a great picture of you 2 that we hope to post today.

Spyder Garage

Default New Elka's

you guys made it back home safely. No cheerios here either, breakfast on the road home was delicious.

Hope to see both of you soon.

BobBadBob and Fancy Nancy.

Spyder Garage

I having a prob. finding that "sweet spot" on mine. I am a little guy and out of the box they was to stiff, set on the bike and the do not move. hit a hole and you would think that the whole dash was going to be thrown off. I loosen off the springs and I get body roll. I guess I will get it some day... any input would be great. I stand at 140 to 145 lb. my wife at 125ish. 2010 RT
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    I haven't considered the Elkas only because the pricing seems to be a secret. After dropping $30k on the new RT Limited, $1500 for Corbin seat, and several hundred in additional lighting in the last 2 weeks (and I didn't go to Spyderfest) I don't know what the budget can spare or the real worth of the shocks. If they stop the crosswind and semi-truck induced swaying they might be worth buying. But at what price?

I HATE web sites that make you send a quote request. I spend thousands $$$ on-line every year for my farm & sawmill business and my expensive ham radio addiction and NEVER buy when I have to request a quote first just to get a ball park figure on cost. I hope Elka reads this.
    What price did you guys pay? Which model did you buy?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I too have to applaud the good folks at Elka.
    When I first got my RT-S, I felt that the handling was dicey and sometimes downright scary! The sensitivity to buffeting was terrible. The machine also exhibited a strange "double roll" when cornering. It felt that the machine would roll, then the tires would roll. It made for some shaky jig jogging while cornering hard.

Well... Ekla to the rescue!! They are worth every single penny! They completely transform the handling. Stable as granite at high speed and in windy conditions. The cornering is like a go cart now. The best thing is that sideways "bobble head" motion is gone!!!

Bravo! Bravo!

Spyder Garage

Default my up date

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I having a prob. finding that "sweet spot" on mine. I am a little guy and out of the box they was to stiff, set on the bike and the do not move. hit a hole and you would think that the whole dash was going to be thrown off. I loosen off the springs and I get body roll. I guess I will get it some day... any input would be great. I stand at 140 to 145 lb. my wife at 125ish. 2010 RT

Install shocks, put jack under frunk and you want to raise front of bike about 1/2 in. befor the wheels come off the ground. if not ether, tighten or loosen the springs equally to get that 1/2 in of travel. NOT the travel of the shocks, but of raising of the front of bike. I had to loosen 5 turns on mine, but I don't weigh much. Then I found that sweet spot on the bottom adj. at 20 clicks closed from fully open. Mine rides great now. This advice came from Cowtown this past week over the phone.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Farmboy, do you do this with you on the spyder? Should it be done loaded for two up if that is the way you ride most often?
    I called John at Elka, and he said that there was no need to set the "sag" on the spyder. I do feel the ride to be a bit "flinty" if you know what I mean.