Spyder Garage

Default hottttttttttt feet lol

I have a 2009 gs spyder and bought two brothers single pipe. Now when I ride the heat is gettin gto be too much on long rides, is there something like a heat shield i can attach?

Spyder Garage

Default One possible solution...

Check out Spyderpops (one of the sponsors on this web-site). They have 2 things that might help. One is called the "Air Management System" and the other is the "Missing Heat Shield". I've installed them and they do seem to help a lot. It can still get hot on my right foot sometimes....but not as bad as it was before. Somebody really needs to come up with something that gets the heat past our feet! Good luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desert Spyder View Post
    Check out Spyderpops (one of the sponsors on this web-site). They have 2 things that might help. One is called the "Air Management System" and the other is the "Missing Heat Shield". I've installed them and they do seem to help a lot. It can still get hot on my right foot sometimes....but not as bad as it was before. Somebody really needs to come up with something that gets the heat past our feet! Good luck!
    I had the same problem with my 08 GS and followed the instructions above and it works great. They are easy to install and make a heck of a difference.

Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is wrapping the pipe a possibility??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    2008 GS - My left foot gets hot sitting at a light. Spyderpops helped a little. Wrapped the pipe last fall, still waiting for a hot day to see if it made a difference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We'll await your report as soon as the weather co-operates a bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have added both Spyderpop shields and they worked great the first year. The one that mounts right by your foot gave the most relief. Right now my foot is very hot again. I found that the right side exhaust gasket has gone out again (using the Honda 18392-MAM-000 gaskets). I have wrapped my exhaust but am dissapointed with the results so far.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    . I found that the right side exhaust gasket has gone out again (using the Honda 18392-MAM-000 gaskets).
    Just wondering how many miles did you get on the Honda gasket?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Just wondering how many miles did you get on the Honda gasket?

I got about 8000 miles from both OEM and Honda gaskets. I had hoped that they would have lasted longer. I have more ordered and will see if they last any longer.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I got about 8000 miles from both OEM and Honda gaskets. I had hoped that they would have lasted longer. I have more ordered and will see if they last any longer.

This is a first for hearing that the Honda Gaskets did not last. from what I hear, they last wayyyyyyyyyyyyy longer than 8k miles.

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust wrap

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I wrapped the left side last week, and applied the spray (use in well ventilated areas ). Even though I'm getting a slight burn smell, which I hope it will go away, I'm getting quite a bit of relief. I'm waiting to see how well you have done on the right before I use the rest of the tape.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Be careful when wrapping pipes. My technician told several of us that wrapping a pipe could cause issues. Think about it, the machine was designed to have that heat radiate off the pipe, but when you wrap the pipe the heat has only one place to go and that's to stay within the pipe which could cause O2 sensor issues because you've now increased the amount of heat going thru it.

I can honestly say that when I wear 'proper' motorcycle boots, I have no issues with heat. I've never ridden any of my 2 wheelers without these boots, so I cannot say that the heat is any better or worse on them, but I do believe that the gives us more confidence with our riding skills which causes us to be a bit more relaxed about the gear we wear and we end up being more vulnerable to the environment. Just my own opinion.

Spyder Garage

Default Heat

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Be careful when wrapping pipes. My technician told several of us that wrapping a pipe could cause issues. Think about it, the machine was designed to have that heat radiate off the pipe, but when you wrap the pipe the heat has only one place to go and that's to stay within the pipe which could cause O2 sensor issues because you've now increased the amount of heat going thru it.

I can honestly say that when I wear 'proper' motorcycle boots, I have no issues with heat. I've never ridden any of my 2 wheelers without these boots, so I cannot say that the heat is any better or worse on them, but I do believe that the gives us more confidence with our riding skills which causes us to be a bit more relaxed about the gear we wear and we end up being more vulnerable to the environment. Just my own opinion.
    Good comment. I can deal with heat below by using proper footware, but my left knee was toasted, and needed relief. I wrapped approximately 24" from the dash to the downward curve. I think the objective is just to wrap critical areas, not the whole pipe. The heat needs to dissipate somewhere...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I only wrapped down to the Y pipe and the gasket was already bad. I may not have needed the wrap had I realized that the gasket was bad before I started. I rode 3000 miles over the winter and had no problems. On the first warm day my foot was hot again so went ahead and did the wrap. Rode 2400 miles total for Spyderfest and thought my right foot was going to blister. New gaskets are on the way so we'll see what improvement I get this time.