Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How much oil should a spyder rt be using

I have a spyder RT 2010 have 17,000 kilometres, brought it 6 months ago. I seem to be using a lot oil, what is a fair rate of consumption.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should not be using oil, you may be over filling it and if you are you are sending it into your air cleaner. You can not just check the oil cold. you need to read the oil checking procedure in the manual. My dealer told me to keep the oil level between the high and low marks and not to go over. What you get cold is not what you get when read by the procedure. I hope this helped.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

3500 miles and I have used half of a quart. no oil in air box. And I do check it hot.
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

There was another thread about this somewhere.

I remember it because I don't use any oil, and I was surprised at so many posts by others who thought using oil was part of the regular operation.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default My 2010 RT SE5 does use oil but.....

My records show that I use about 12 oz for every 1000 miles....BUT BRP and dealer all say "within range"....which translates to 'not doing anything about it!!'...so I always have extra oil with me...Ms. Spyder has used this from the beginning...no more no less
    I check as outlined in manual......what I consider a real pain in the butt!!! But what is required...so I whine and do it!!!!!
    the odometer is sitting at 25411...
    Last edited by murphybrown; 04-30-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I have a spyder RT 2010 have 17,000 kilometres, brought it 6 months ago. I seem to be using a lot oil, what is a fair rate of consumption.
    It might help us to help you' if you can tell us how much oil you use.

Spyder Garage

Default High Oil Use

Most RT owners I've spoken with all have the same comment... carry oil with you on long rydes! I check mine hot, as per the manual, and have no leaks whatsoever. I'm not exactly sure of the usage, but it would be safe to say I have to add almost two quarts between oil changes. Sorta surprised me.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have never added oil between oil changes and when i did go in for the schuduled mtc they are saying the oil was at normal level.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

I'm also using quite a bit of oil on my 2011. I can't say exactly how much, but 12 oz every 1000 miles is a fair estimate. Heck, if it werent for the filters I wouldn't even need to change the oil. I'm continuously dumping in a fresh supply. There are no leaks and the engine runs nicely, I don't get it. I also don't understand the huge differences between the different bikes. I don't think riding style could possibly create that much difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    There was another thread about this somewhere.

I remember it because I don't use any oil, and I was surprised at so many posts by others who thought using oil was part of the regular operation.
    I have had 2 RTs and neither one used hardly any oil between changes. Adding 12 oz in just 1,000 mi sounds like a lot to me.
    Surprising there is such a wide difference between RTs!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use between 4 and 6 oz each 1000 miles. My RT has about 32k and the oil use has not changed since new. The oil use may be determined by riding style and speed, higher rpm may result in more oil use.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

I use less oil now that I have switched to 10W/40 Amsoil. I know it is a bit thicker viscousity but I used it in my GS as well for two years. I found the BRP synthetic blend to thin in my thoughts that is and I did use a bit more then a quart in 3000 miles and I have cut that in half with the Amsoil now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by memphisdan View Post
    I use between 4 and 6 oz each 1000 miles. My RT has about 32k and the oil use has not changed since new. The oil use may be determined by riding style and speed, higher rpm may result in more oil use.
    After I got back from Spyderfest almost 1500 miles I ended up adding roughly 6oz of oil.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use Amsoil 10W40 on my 2010 RT and I use about a quart every 3000 miles
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default RT oil usage...

17,000 miles, and I have been adding about 8 oz. between changes. I've been using Amsoil since I removed the break-in oil.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

i am using semi synthetic in our 2010 rts ,,as long as i change it faithfully at about 3000 miles are not hard riders ,, it has never over 6000 rpms and never over 75 mph,,,it now has 16,000 miles on it.if i let it get closer to 3500 miles on it it will use a little.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I use Amsoil 10W40 on my 2010 RT and I use about a quart every 3000 miles
    Same thing with the first 2010 Spyder and OEM oil. Especially if driven over 70 MPH. Sorry, after a leak test of 7%, BRP wouldn't do anything about it. They said if it gets worse they would, yeah right. Roll of the dice I guess. So I traded it in for a 2012 and no problems so far. Currently about 1800 miles. Thank God. Good luck.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

I must say that the fun factor overrides the oil I add to my Spyder!!! I must say that this is the first vehicle I own that I have had to add oil to though!! My buddy has a Caddy SRX that needs a quart in 1000 miles, worse then my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

I never leave home without my oil jug, a ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle I found at wally world for very little money. I use about a qt every 3000 miles, always have, don't like it but I've gotten used to it. By the way that squeeze bottle really helps to get the oil into the oil fill hole without spilling.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

If your bike uses a little oil and is not leaking it; you know that the engine is getting lubrication!
    Better than the alternative, IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Use

I use ZERO oil it shouldn't be using alot.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Shewhoprays's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

It's interesting that this question has come up because I am having the "low oil" light come on every once in awhile. We check the oil and its okay. It is time for the 3000mi oil change but the dealer said we could wait until the 12,000mi check up. (we use the synthetic oil so apparently can go 5,000mi instead of 3,000,i) I have 10,500mi on it now. This past summer we appeared to have no oil when we checked between oil changes, and quickly put some in. We had no "low oil" light come on then at all. It was just a sense I had to check the oil since it was soooo hot outside. My question is: Is there a sensor that comes on when it is time to change the oil - like every 3000mi and has to be turned off by the dealer? My Prius has one just thought maybe the Spyder was smart enough for one also. My 2010RT appears to use oil as well. bj

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhoprays View Post
    It's interesting that this question has come up because I am having the "low oil" light come on every once in awhile. We check the oil and its okay. It is time for the 3000mi oil change but the dealer said we could wait until the 12,000mi check up. (we use the synthetic oil so apparently can go 5,000mi instead of 3,000,i) I have 10,500mi on it now. This past summer we appeared to have no oil when we checked between oil changes, and quickly put some in. We had no "low oil" light come on then at all. It was just a sense I had to check the oil since it was soooo hot outside. My question is: Is there a sensor that comes on when it is time to change the oil - like every 3000mi and has to be turned off by the dealer? My Prius has one just thought maybe the Spyder was smart enough for one also. My 2010RT appears to use oil as well. bj
    Brp calls for oil changers at 3 thousand miles. Might be a warranty issue if you stretch it too long!!
    And there is no sensor to let you know when to change the oil.
    Also the oil light tells you if the oil presser is low, not if the oil level is low.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhoprays View Post
    The oil light is "low oil pressure", not "low oil level". You likely have a bad oil pressure switch. Low oil level can cause low oil pressure, but it has to be real low.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C3517C View Post
    I'm also using quite a bit of oil on my 2011. I can't say exactly how much, but 12 oz every 1000 miles is a fair estimate. Heck, if it werent for the filters I wouldn't even need to change the oil. I'm continuously dumping in a fresh supply. There are no leaks and the engine runs nicely, I don't get it. I also don't understand the huge differences between the different bikes. I don't think riding style could possibly create that much difference.
    Perhaps it comes down to the type and brand of oil that's being used? Then again, maybe not.
    It would be worth examining.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.