Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil jug...

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDon View Post
    I never leave home without my oil jug, a ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle I found at wally world for very little money. I use about a qt every 3000 miles, always have, don't like it but I've gotten used to it. By the way that squeeze bottle really helps to get the oil into the oil fill hole without spilling.
    Great idea!
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    I have had 2 RTs and neither one used hardly any oil between changes. Adding 12 oz in just 1,000 mi sounds like a lot to me.
    Surprising there is such a wide difference between RTs!
    +1 same here. no oil use between changes. I wonder if its how people broke in their spyders. the first 50 miles make a big difference. I followed the recomendations online from this website and been fine ever since =
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

followed the non-dyno directions. found an open highway and had an SUV follow behind to block traffic and did multiple roll ons once engine was heated up. after 3rd gear roll on a small puff of smoke and the valves were sealed! mine is manual RTS. use full synth BRP and now Full Synth 5W40 Motul.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I changed my oil at 600 miles and used Amsoil 10/40 motorcycle oil and I now have 2800 miles on it and it is at the same level as when I changed it. I keep it right in the middle between high and low. it has not changed. Maybe if you change your brand of oil it will help.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is the relationship between hot ambient air, consistent hard driving (80 mph+), and oil consumption vs. the opposite. Is it fair to assume the former causes more heat in the engine and thus burns up the oil quicker?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Shewhoprays's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool

My dealer is Cowtown and I do and use whatever they tell me. So I know I'm using the right oil. We brought some extra at Spyderfest so we'd have some since we are 90 miles away. The service dept were the ones who told us we could wait until 12,000 miles to get our oil changed at the same time as the 12,000 miles check up. I guess I just have to believe they know what they are doing. We just got back from a 500 mile trip and didn't get the message one time. So maybe it was just a freak thing. bj