Spyder Garage

Default Communication between riders....

My husband and I are planning a trip to SD/WY/MT/ND and then back home to MN. We are trying to figure out a way to communicate without helmets between our 2 bikes.....I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, logical, illogical....off the wall anything....We were thinking maybe midland walkie talkies with the VOX...has anybody tried anything like that???? Thanks in advance for any help

Spyder Garage

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Without helmets??
    Interbike with helmets is easy; Cardo G4

Paper cups and string??
    Handsignals
    Screaming at the top of your lungs??
    Is the "without helmets" because you're not wearing them, or is it because you don't want to invest in a system to hook to them?

My Missus and I experimented with some Midland GMRS radios that I had bought to use while hunting... ran the PTT button down the sleeve and it worked pretty darn well, although it was bulky.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Interphone blueant F4 or F5.

The F5 can communicate with up to 6 riders .

All can listen to your music , talk on the phone and talk to other riders.

http://www.blueantwireless.com/shop/us/products/f4.php

http://blueexpress.com.au/index.php?...products_id=20

You can search for better prices on a pair , try amizon .

They have speakers that velcro to the inside of your helmet for stereo sound which is great , no problems at all with a full face , and does work with half helmets too.

There are alot of choices when it comes to headsets .

I hear SCALA headsets a lot too.
    Last edited by Dwanton; 04-29-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
    My husband and I are planning a trip to SD/WY/MT/ND and then back home to MN. We are trying to figure out a way to communicate without helmets between our 2 bikes....
    Seems like some of the responders missed the 'no helmets' note.

The Scala G4 units, clip on helmets and the tiny speakers go inside. My guess is that you could just carry the unit in your pockets but you would have to adapt the speakers. I think you could just cut and splice the wires and add in a set of ear buds with the wires running down to the Scala unit in your pocket.

The Scala set measures about 4 inches by 1-1/2" so it shouldn't be hard to stow it in a pocket or you could velcro it somewhere on the Spyder. There is a small antenna on the units that folds away. By mounting the unit somewhere on the Spyder, you could engage the antenna but you really don't need it with these units if you stay within a half mile of each other.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I asked about helmets;but not being sure of the actual situation I left some info for helmets in my response...
    I'm just not sure that you can get enough volume out of any of the options if there are truly no helmets in this equation... An earbud with GMRS radios might be the best option though.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have had 2 friends die that would of lived if they wore helmets -

Not preaching , and I know it feels great having the wind blow through your hair . I just can't get myself to ride without a full face now .

Here is what the guys in the desert use - may work on motorcycles

http://www.rzrforums.net/rugged-race...t-line-up.html

Think there are a couple that are full headsets
    Last edited by Dwanton; 04-29-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    2012 RSS orange / black SE5 , Sport rack , backrest , comfort seat , console protector , front trunk liner , yoshimura R-77 carbon fiber , two brothers juice box pro using PC map 6 , K&N air filter , factory fog lamps

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check out the Sena SPH10. These are advertised as helmetless. We have the Sena SMH10 and just love them. We had a wired headset with two-way radios before. Although this worked, we had a hard time understanding each other and were constantly asking "repeat". Also my husband hated being wired to his bike.

We got the Sena setup and it works great. Even with my husband's open face helmet, I can hear him clear at highway speeds. There is wind noise, but I can still hear him and we have both used our phones while riding and the people said they could hear the wind but had no trouble hearing us.

Look into the Sena SPH10. If they work like the SMH10s I think you would be happy.

Leslie

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustybell View Post
    Check out the Sena SPH10. These are advertised as helmetless. We have the Sena SMH10 and just love them. We had a wired headset with two-way radios before. Although this worked, we had a hard time understanding each other and were constantly asking "repeat". Also my husband hated being wired to his bike.

We got the Sena setup and it works great. Even with my husband's open face helmet, I can hear him clear at highway speeds. There is wind noise, but I can still hear him and we have both used our phones while riding and the people said they could hear the wind but had no trouble hearing us.

Look into the Sena SPH10. If they work like the SMH10s I think you would be happy.

Leslie
    I have all of the above. They are very good.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info everyone. Its not that we are not wearing helmets, just don't want to wear them constantly. I understand the dangers with and without helmets believe me, my uncle was killed on his motorcycle from head trauma while wearing a full face helmet. I think we are going to try the walkie talkies this time and see how that works. Both of our bikes are "ppt" capable just don't want to spend $700+ each to do it. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Headset-E...item416018b306 Since your gonna walkie talkies , you could try these. leave the ear piece in and push button to talk. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Uclear HBC200's can be used without helmets with the earbud accessory. They're made just for that. No wind noise, no microphone boom, etc. Should be available in the next month or so. Looks like they might do the trick for you.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

I prefer wireless communication to the wired helmet communication. My current set up is Cardo 2 and they work well.

No Helmets: I guess you just have to talk loud.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red