Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've still yet to hear anyone give a good reason why 'texting' checkpoints would be any different than 'DUI' checkpoints......

So using the 'keep people safe' logic..... 'texting' checkpoints should be done also. Hand your phone over and let the cops see if you've been texting while driving. Anyone really think this would be okay to let the cops read your texts at a checkpoint?
    The cop would never be able to prove in the court of law that you were actually texting while driving unless he caught you red handed. A sobriety check is pretty cut and dry. You are drunk behind the wheel or your not.

I understand your point, but it would never work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    The cop would never be able to prove in the court of law that you were actually texting while driving unless he caught you red handed. A sobriety check is pretty cut and dry. You are drunk behind the wheel or your not.

Probably wouldn't work... but if they had say had 'Point A' where you just drive by and a cop records your time... and then a 'Point B' where another one stops you and checks your phone.... if you're alone in the car and texted between the points.... busted.

Just an example of course.

I did hear that some of the state cops were actually pretty nice to 'out of towners' ......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Probably wouldn't work... but if they had say had 'Point A' where you just drive by and a cop records your time... and then a 'Point B' where another one stops you and checks your phone.... if you're alone in the car and texted between the points.... busted.

Just an example of course.

I did hear that some of the state cops were actually pretty nice to 'out of towners' ......
    It could be possible, but with a good lawyer you can probably get off even with that. Around my neck of the woods, hands free devices are still legal, and it would be up to the cop to prove to the judge without the shadow of a doubt that you were on the phone at the time illegally.

...And yes, the cops in Cuba were nice with me on more than one occasion, so I really cant complain.

Spyder Garage

for common sense.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could be possible, but with a good lawyer you can probably get off even with that. Around my neck of the woods, hands free devices are still legal, and it would be up to the cop to prove to the judge without the shadow of a doubt that you were on the phone at the time illegally.

...And yes, the cops in Cuba were nice with me on more than one occasion, so I really cant complain.
    it would not be hard to prove at all your dates and post time are all on texts so a quick download of your phone and your busted if you are driving
    Last edited by r1100rider; 05-03-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: change

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    it would not be hard to prove at all your dates and post time are all on texts so a quick download of your phone and your busted if you are driving
    And what if you are pulled off the road or someone else is using your phone. Not so easy is it.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The truth be told, Even if you can beat the ticket in court the time and cost will be nothing compared to the aggravation you'll go though fighting it, That's why most people just pony up and pay, And the courts know that,.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    The truth be told, Even if you can beat the ticket in court the time and cost will be nothing compared to the aggravation you'll go though fighting it, That's why most people just pony up and pay, And the courts know that,.
    Actually it's easy to fight them. Most will offer a plea/deferral by phone or mail.......you rarely have to go to court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    And what if you are pulled off the road or someone else is using your phone. Not so easy is it.
    What if your the only one in the the car and the text shows it was just in the last few minutes and your on a freeway with no reststops easy bust and the burden of proof is always on you innocent until proven guilty is yesterday just try to beat a ticket nowadays

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What if your the only one in the the car and the text shows it was just in the last few minutes and your on a freeway with no reststops easy bust and the burden of proof is always on you innocent until proven guilty is yesterday just try to beat a ticket nowadays
    Could have texted from the shoulder of the freeway or before you got on the freeway at the last on ramp
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Could have texted from the shoulder of the freeway or before you got on the freeway at the last on ramp
    Lot of things. could have been but when you are in court the cops are the good old boys and whatever they say is the gods honest truth and your just some scumbag who lied to try to get out of a ticket and what if the last on ramp was 10 miles ago ,was it an emergency or were you were a hazard which is another ticket

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually it's easy to fight them. Most will offer a plea/deferral by phone or mail.......you rarely have to go to court.
    Fly, I'm curious about something...
    If you're driving where the posted speed limit is 55 and you're doing 70 and know it... If you get written up; would you fight it or admit the truth, own your mistake and pay the fine?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Fly, I'm curious about something...
    If you're driving where the posted speed limit is 55 and you're doing 70 and know it... If you get written up; would you fight it or admit the truth, own your mistake and pay the fine?

Always fight it. Those greedy insurance people will raise your rates with tickets !!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sooo... you're telling me that you would rather take the chicken way out and lie????
    Call me an old-fashioned pain in the , but a person who'd lie would also steal...

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sooo... you're telling me that you would rather take the chicken way out and lie????
    Call me an old-fashioned pain in the , but a person who'd lie would also steal...

You will never have to lie Bob, thats what my lawyer is for.

Spyder Garage

It still would not prove that I was in a moving vehicle. The officer would have to physically catch you in the act to be able to prove anything to a judge in a court of law. The judge would probably throw the cop out of the courtroom if all he showed up with was a cell phone text record.

I am not sure about the U.S., but thats the way it works up here in my neck of the continent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    You will never have to lie Bob, thats what my lawyer is for.
    See now... If you actually behave a bit better you don't need the lawyer... they're too expensive for my tastes anyway!

Where'd Fly go now that things are finally getting interesting again??

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H
    That's what i meant by ponying up. If you want to take it all the way[court] You'll get a quick lesson on how the traffic courts work $$$$

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was driving from Seattle back home to Vegas after heading up there for a funeral with my wife a few years back. We were on a long, straight, empty stretch of desert highway in northern Nevada. I had the pedal to the metal (it's a very long drive. About 16 hours as I recall). My intuition was telling me there was a cop nearby. So every time I saw any car on the horizon, I would slow down till it passed. After about three times of this, my wife said "just go". So I did. Very next car on the horizon was a highway patrol going the other way. Saw the lights turn on in my rear view mirror, and I pulled myself over before he even finished his u turn. There was no one else around he could have possibly been going after.
    I rolled down my window, provided my license and registration. He said "I clocked you doing 93 in a 75 zone. Did you know you were going that fast sir?" "Honestly, yeah." "where you coming from?" "Seattle" "where you going?" "Vegas" "what were you doing up in Seattle" "attending my wife's aunt's funeral". "alright, give me a minute sir."
    A few minutes later he came back. He said "I appreciate the honesty, so I only wrote you up for 5 miles over. Sign here please". We could have fought the ticket, and won as he filled out the registration section of the form incorrectly. The car I was driving was registered to my wife, not to me. Had he run that registration in the computer with her name, he would have seen she works for the Vegas MPD and we probably would have gotten out of the ticket completely anyways. But I did the crime so I paid the fine. Don't break the law if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences. Fighting tickets costs the state rightly deserved funds to improve our usually crappy roads. Not to mention the money it costs the court.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Fighting tickets costs the state rightly deserved funds to improve our usually crappy roads. Not to mention the money it costs the court.

This is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Rightly deserved funds, then you follow it up with they use the money it to fix the roads.

Getting out of a a ticket because your wife works for Vegas PD !!!!!!!! This further reassures the cops think there above the law.
    Last edited by arntufun; 05-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Arr MiHardies;449219. Don't break the law if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences.QUOTE]
    Amen...

Thank you for some good old-fashioned common sense!

zrc

Bob,

Last time I got a ticket, you can call and go to online school instead of appearing in court. I was speeding I admitted it, I was guilty and they didnt care because the School + Deferment fee is > ticket fee. It is also less time in the court.

So lets just take a minute and be honest, its about money.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    Bob,

Last time I got a ticket, you can call and go to online school instead of appearing in court. I was speeding I admitted it, I was guilty and they didnt care because the School + Deferment fee is > ticket fee. It is also less time in the court.

So lets just take a minute and be honest, its about money.

Don't say "it's about money" !!!!!!! You must say........ RIGHTLY DESERVED FUNDS.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default QUESTION

HAVE WE SET THE RECORD YET FOR MOST POSTS ON A SINGLE THREAD ????? ..IF NOT WHAT IS THE RECORD....ANYBODY KNOW ?????.....MIKE...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure that the thread about Lamont's NVBs has us beat by a country mile...