Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall a thread similar to this from last years SF. Here in NC, there are "Booze it and loose it" checkpoints set up frequently. Especially around holidays. Then there are the standard checkpoints used to check for valid DLs and plates and seatbelt use. Everyone is fair game no matter what you're driving. They've even caught LEOs violating the laws, and they were prosecuted as well. If you approach one of these checkpoints and turn around you'll be pursued and pulled over. I was a juror on a trial of a man who did turn and run. He was charged with DUI. During the trial he claimed police brutality, racial profiling, and violation of his civil rights. He lost his case and his license for one year. These checkpoints don't bother me.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I rode through it. I don't drink. But I fear them. I my mind they are a symbol. A representation of tyranny.

History is a never ending list of people or nations that, one by one, gave up a principle in the "name of the common good" (and I use that word good in the loosest context imaginable). The end result was a police state. I do not, will not agree with so called checkpoints. We've been on the slope for decades, the pace of decent is increasing and there is no end in sight. They are another centimeter in the slippery slope I refer to as the "Fall of the USA."

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?umstgp
    I'm mobile using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is my way of dealing with a check point.

Spyder Garage

You have to think, do they have check points normally on Thursday nights in Cuba? I doubt it. They did it to us last year and this year too. That crap of "if you haven't did anything you don't have anything to worry about" was what put people like Hitler in power. Wake up!
    Rudy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The whole 'doin nothing wrong' defense is just nuts. I'm not doing anything wrong in my house either--- but I'll be damned if I'll let them search it whenever they want. They Can if they have probably cause and a Warrant!. Again-- the issue isn't drinking and driving. Drinking and Driving Kills!--- it's about the checkpoints. Checkpoints are legal and help keep drunks off the road where they kill people!. If the real purpose of checkpoints is to save lives- then you should all support them stopping you and checking your texts and phone calls Not Yet Legal as texting and phone usage is more dangerous than drinking and driving.

For them to target a group of people bringing tens of thousands of dollars into their town is what ticks me off. Then Drink in Your Motel Room.

And for those that don't think it's about money--- you've got to be kidding me! DUI fines are huge money makers.
    Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Well, there are plenty of other things the cops could do check points for too. How about they do a texting checkpoint where they take your phone and search your texts to see if you've been texting and driving? Would that be okay?

Checkpoints are BS and unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned. Pull me over and want to search my vehicle---- they better have a warrant! Their main goal is to make money- safety is secondary.

I got into it with a Idiot I work with because he pulled this its unconstitutional stupidity . Please you go tell that to someone who had their family or child taken from them from a drunk driver then I bet you wont like the answer ,That guy Ill call him Jeff got knocked out for saying that infront of someone he didnt know because that someone he didnt know had his kid killed by some drunk driver that if the check point had been a hour earlier would have caught that drunk SOB. So if it takes an extra 5 to 10 minutes of my life or your life I dont care , if your plate light it out or even if they are being a$holes and ticketing for everylittle thing . One extra drunk off the road is with it, Getting to point B is the main goal . Ill tell you what next time I get pulled into a check point , Ill pull that horse crap from above, only if you come bail me out ... deal ?

I heard that Cuba PD was all up everyone's rear end last night and that really really sucks . Im glad no one was dumb and drank and rode . sorry after seeing what having your kid taken from you did to my friend from above if you drive and drive or ride your plain out stupid . Sorry that im being 100% honest I usually like peoples opinions and like seeing things from one point or another but on this never. I mean could you live with yourself if you killed someone .. or watched it happen ? what if it was your child who was killed and a check point might have saved their life would it be worth it ???? would you give ANYTHING to have a check point save their life ? I will bet the answer is YES so before you come off about gun laws or your house or blah blah blah .Before you open your mouth ( or type ) if you kid or parent was killed by a drunk driverand a check point COULD have saved them .. would it be worth it .
    Last edited by Smokinspyder; 04-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kinderhook View Post
    I happen to reside near Osage Beach, Mo, a community that welcomes thousands of visitors every weekend during the summer months. Last year the Osage Beach police set up checkpoints near favorite night clubs and bars. After stopping 300 or so autos they found only five or so drivers over the limit. Now, is it reasonable to inconvenience 300 persons to catch 5? In a free country is it reasonable to allow police to stop and question every driver without probable cause? Is it fair to target selected business to inconvenience their customers? Would all these officers do just as well patroling the streets in trouble areas and watching for signs of impaired driving? Do we live in a free country or a police state? Just a few questions to ponder.

5 out of 300, I say mission accomplished.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ornerydog7 View Post

5 out of 300, I say mission accomplished.
    Agreed!!!!

Spyder Garage

Yeah- everyone has a story about someone who was killed by a drunk--- yada yada--- not the point at all. You have to separate your emotions from this issue. Have any of you actually read the 4th amendment???

How about checkpoints on your way home from work to make sure you're not too tired?
    How about driving while you have the flu?

Random checkpoints just to check your insurance???

We need to see your papers???

Just because you're not doing anything wrong is the worst reason to allow a stop and search.

Pulling people over for what they MIGHT be doing???? Are you kidding me?

This was a BS sting trying to make $$$$. Pretty sure it totally backfired on them.

And yes, I realize this isn't specifically unconstitutional as when we get our licenses we sign what is considered implied consent.... but that doesn't make it right!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default VERRY WELL SAID !!

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    I rode through it. I don't drink. But I fear them. I my mind they are a symbol. A representation of tyranny.

History is a never ending list of people or nations that, one by one, gave up a principle in the "name of the common good" (and I use that word good in the loosest context imaginable). The end result was a police state. I do not, will not agree with so called checkpoints. We've been on the slope for decades, the pace of decent is increasing and there is no end in sight. They are another centimeter in the slippery slope I refer to as the "Fall of the USA."

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?umstgp
    I'm mobile using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I find it disconcerting that our founders based our government so heavily on a system that had already failed once before on such a massive scale. (Rome)
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

To Checkpoint or not to Checkpoint.................this seems to be the question. In my opinion we are "told" what we can and can't do far to often in modern day society.

If there is one area I don't mind being told what I can and can't do it is around drinking and driving. Inconvenience me, violate my rights, be insensitive to me, subject me to open air full body cavity searches, make me late for a social function...............but lock-up the frickin law breakers. This reminds me of the security checks at the airports, how many people in line "beeotch and moan" at having to wait and being subjected to "extra" searches. Lots of them after passing through security then get to their gate and wait for an hour anyway? These enforcement officers (cops or security inspectors) are there to make sure "you are safe" because society is full of potential "Jerry Springer" cast members that just don't get it?

This is one area I don't mind letting the goverment or the police departments have "free reign". Next time you are subjected to a "DUI checkpoint" or a "Security Check" at an airport, thank these people for making you safe from a bunch of lunatics that feel no sense of responsibility or accountability for their actions.
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HEY FIREFLY!
    Sorry to "yell";, but I need your attention for a moment or two...
    You have got me seriously wondering about your perspective here... I've been pretty transparent about my age and viewpoint; where are you coming from?
    Are you older than me; remembering "3 days of peace, love and rock & roll" with the kindness of time softening the edges a bit? Do you die a bit more each time Altamont is mentioned? Not trusting "Anybody over 30"; does that ring in your mind? How about "Sticking it to The Man"?
    Or are you just young enough to think that dispespecting the folks who are paid to run toward danger to protect you and your family is cool?

The Cuba PD probably set up their checkpoints to provide a presense... yeah; pick up the easy offenders who aren't smart enough to keep their paperwork in order or stop anhybody who's got a bit too much party on their mind early in the game...

But what's yor story??? Please PM me if you don'y want it out in the open forum because I am genuinely curious about how you can carry around so much "Us versus THEM" mentality... without poppping.

And don't you EVER dismiss a killed by a drunjk driver story with, "Yada yada" ever again! Those people have suffered, and you've just made a mockery of it...
    Sorry for getting a bit grumpy, but it can happen to the best of us once in a while...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    HEY FIREFLY!
    You have got me seriously wondering about your perspective here... I've been pretty transparent about my age and viewpoint; where are you coming from?
    Are you older than me; remembering "3 days of peace, love and rock & roll" with the kindness of time softening the edges a bit? Do you die a bit more each time Altamont is mentioned? Not trusting "Anybody over 30"; does that ring in your mind? How about "Sticking it to The Man"?
    Or are you just young enough to think that dispespecting the folks who are paid to run toward danger to protect you and your family is cool?

The Cuba PD probably set up their checkpoints to provide a presense... yeah; pick up the easy offenders who aren't smart enough to keep their paperwork in order or stop anhybody who's got a bit too much party on their mind early in the game...

But what's yor story??? Please PM me if you don'y want it out in the open forum because I am genuinely curious about how you can carry around so much "Us versus THEM" mentality... without poppping.

And don't you EVER dismiss a killed by a drunjk driver story with, "Yada yada" ever again! Those people have suffered, and you've just made a mockery of it...
    Sorry for getting a bit grumpy, but it can happen to the best of us once in a while...
    Well put Robert.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default My HOT button

Checkpoints for potential DUI's...absolutely...I spent several hours last night "listening" to my grandsons...a college buddy had just been killed..by a friggin' DRUNK driver...unfortunately we wouldn't need checkpoints if individuals would be responsible and accountable...but if you think that is ever going to happen...then lala land is where you live...bring on the checkpoints...I have always given law enforcement a thumbs up for the job they do...sure you can find a rogue in the bunch but the majority are there for you and me...interesting how when they are needed for a personal need they are awesome..but otherwise .... like I said this is a hot button I have a son who is career law enforcement...says those against checkpoints for DUI's are welcome to ride with him when he has to deal with the carnage from a DUI accident...oh yea it was his sons that just lost their college buddy....enough venting..time to celebrate this gorgeous sunny day in Cuba and the official final day of Spyderfest 2012 and what a grand time it has been and will continue to be....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Well put Robert.
    Please..I'm just a "Bob"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HEY FIREFLY!

Well Said Sir!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please..I'm just a "Bob"
    Well, they call me "Sweet Old Bob" at least I THINK that's what those initials stand for!!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    Well, they call me "Sweet Old Bob" at least I THINK that's what those initials stand for!!

thehawk
    Made my day as I read the morning news and have a coffee...... Well done

Spyder Garage

Well now that we've found our latest HOT thread; how is everyone enjoying Spyder feast????
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Well now that we've found our latest HOT thread; how is everyone enjoying Spyder feast????
    Well I am Loving It!
    And judging by the crowd at Friday Night Lights, I think most everyone is having a good time.

Spyder Garage

I guess some just don't get it. If the ends justify the means, then by all means.....let the police search your house, car and various orifices at will...without just cause.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Dri...103163004.html

Chief Justice Rehnquist had argued that violating individual constitutional rights was justified because sobriety roadblocks were effective and necessary. But dissenting Justice Stevens pointed out that "the findings of the trial court, based on an extensive record and affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals, indicate that the net effect of sobriety checkpoints on traffic safety is infinitesimal and possibly negative." 3 And even if roadblocks were effective, the fact that they work wouldn’t justify violating individuals’ constitutional rights, justices argued.

How about they come search your house for guns just because if they search 300 houses they might find 5 illegal weapons that might be used to kill someone?

How about they do checkpoints to search every car for drugs? You gonna let them search your car without a specific warrant directed at you? No way will I allow this.

Bob, FYI. I'm 46 and generally very liberal......but this is one situation where I'm with the conservatives. I don't hate the man, and respect cops very much.....just don't believe these checkpoints are right, nor have I seen any evidence of them lowering DUI accidents.

The ends don't always justify the means.

Oh, and I'll yada yada whatever I want, thank you very much.......;-)
    Tired of having to be overly PC just because someone might be offended.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I find it disconcerting that our founders based our government so heavily on a system that had already failed once before on such a massive scale. (Rome)
    The system did not fail. What happened is the people failed to adhere to the system and they failed. That is exactly what is being discussed here.

If the ends justify the means, then any means is justified.

Every democratic society in history has ended up in tyranny, and always for the same reason. When people realize that they can vote to themselves other people's resources it's all downhill from there.They make the step down to socialism and that always degrades into tyranny.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    It has been an awesome time. Amazing event put on by tons of hard working people. The whole town has been great----- and even the state cops have given some breaks to those caught speeding.

Spyder Garage

I do agree that it is uncomfortable to pass through check points. I doubt there are very many Spyder riders that drink and drive, and if these check points were due to the Spyder gathering then that kinda sucks. All the money that comes into Cuba for this event that one day could be like a Daytona bike week... If your breaking the law or riding crazy then you should be stopped by the police. If you are there to support the town and spend money why make a positive thing a negative by having check points. That can certainly be a turn off for future events in my opinion.

I think it is absouletely stupid to drink and ride or drive...Been there done that and got my pin years ago, stupid then and stupid now
    Last edited by Chazzman; 04-28-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    'Bikeless'