Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cops in Cuba......

Having a GREAT time in Cuba... everyone is friendly... all the townsfolk are really happy to have us all...... so it's a great, positive experience.........

With one caveat......

The police are out in full force..... and last night (a Thursday evening), they set up a DUI checkpoint on 19..... exactly where most of us Spyder Ryders would be coming back from the party at the WildWood Lodge.

Last year they did this also.... but it was a Friday night.. and also was Prom night.

But this year... on a freaking THURSDAY? Seriously? REally???? Most here don't drink and ride. and those that do typically will have like 1 or 2 lite beers over the course of a few hours.

While I agree that drinking and driving is bad... emmmmkay...... I don't like checkpoints.... I feel they're profiling bikers and that's just wrong. They don't allow such checkpoints in Michigan.

Seems to me they were just trolling for extra $$$$. They had dozens of cops and cop cars set up to do this checkpoint...... and I think it fell flat for them as I have not heard of anyone getting busted.... so rather than taking in some $$$$ from drunk drivers... it seems the Cuba cops lost $$$ on this.

Hopefully they'll learn and not do this in the future.

Just my .02.

Otherwise--- I LOVE this town!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm real sorry to throw a wet blanket on you... but drinking and motor vehicles just don't mix...
    If you're gonna drink; stay put and have a meal and let the alcohol burn off...

Sorry about this, but I've had too many friends killed by drunk drivers.
    As an insurance agent I've see too many lives ruined by drinking and driving.
    The LEOs are out there to protect YOU from the guy who's been drinking; be thankful that they're doing what they're paid to do: their jobs.
    Sorry, but I feel what I feel...
    "We now return you to the Arts...."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree, Bob. Here in huntsville Al. when they have checkpoints in the area they tell the tv stations and they braodcast it. To me that is stupid. it's not going to stop someone from drinking and driving when you tell them where you are going to be they will just find another route. If you drink and drive you should go to jail. I have had 2 friends killed by drunk drivers.

Spyder Garage

Well, there are plenty of other things the cops could do check points for too. How about they do a texting checkpoint where they take your phone and search your texts to see if you've been texting and driving? Would that be okay?

Checkpoints are BS and unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned. Pull me over and want to search my vehicle---- they better have a warrant! Their main goal is to make money- safety is secondary.

Spyder Garage

This isn't about drunk driving-- no one is saying that's a good thing--- it's about checkpoints. I mean seriously--- on a THURSDAY night???? Right on the route they know 500 spyders will be coming back on? Total bs. Are the DUI deaths any lower in states with checkpoints? Texting and cell phone use cause more deaths and accidents than drunk driving does---- so are you willing to let them stop you and search your texts and phone call log to see if you were talking or texting while driving????

Exact same thing

Spyder Garage

You are both right (Firefly/Bob D.), and have valid points.

I cannot fault either argument. Checkpoints to make money and take advantage of a situation? That is also to me.

Checkpoints to enforce safety? That is a good idea--but I don't think certain groups should be profiled--it should be across the board.

I like a drink with a meal when I go out--but never exceed one, when dining out. Spend enough time in the restaurant after the meal to let the major effects wear off. Would not drive if I felt impaired. We all have our own ideas about this--so this may be an interesting thread--with a little spice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Checkpoints are a pain that no one likes. Drunk drivers are a lethal liability that no one should have to deal with.

If the checkpoint pulls EVERYONE over then that, at least, is 'Equal protection (or harrassment - depending on your veiwpoint) under the law'. What seems unlawful to me is when they just pull over motorcycles as if their operators are 2nd class citizens.

We can't treat Muslims differently in the airport, we can't treat Mexican's differently at the border, but we can single out and target MC riders? Something seems a bit askew with that.

Checkpoint operations are pretty expensive. Usually involving otherwise off duty officers (meaning overtime). If the revenue stream does not at least cover expenses then someone is going to be looking very closely at that aspect.

Have fun! Ride clean!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

arntufun
    Last edited by arntufun; 04-27-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Unconstitutional"?? Based upon what?? Unreasonable search efforts? Maybe you've just hit a raw nerve in me, but I am absolutely all for letting the LEOs loose so that they can do their jobs...
    They can stop me any time they want; I'm not breaking any laws so I have nothing to fear... I'm about the most boring law-abiding and law-enforcement officer respecting olphart you'd ever meet...
    I've lost 2 of my best friends over the years to drunk drivers; If all the checkpoints in the country keep just ONE innocent person from getting killed it's got to be worth it.
    If you want to drink; just do it smart... Or be willing to own up and pay the piper for it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

arntufun,

Isn't this where you and I met last year under similar circumstances?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Unconstitutional"?? Based upon what?? Unreasonable search efforts? Maybe you've just hit a raw nerve in me, but I am absolutely all for letting the LEOs loose so that they can do their jobs...
    They can stop me any time they want; I'm not breaking any laws so I have nothing to fear... I'm about the most boring law-abiding and law-enforcement officer respecting olphart you'd ever meet...
    I've lost 2 of my best friends over the years to drunk drivers; If all the checkpoints in the country keep just ONE innocent person from getting killed it's got to be worth it.
    If you want to drink; just do it smart... Or be willing to own up and pay the piper for it!
    I have to agree with Bob! I spent 6 weeks in the hospital and then 2 1/2 months in a body cast due to a drunk driver. Only thing I did wrong was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't like checkpoints myself, but if that is what it takes to get them off the road then so be it....
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Spyder Garage

Default Unreasonable stops.

I happen to reside near Osage Beach, Mo, a community that welcomes thousands of visitors every weekend during the summer months. Last year the Osage Beach police set up checkpoints near favorite night clubs and bars. After stopping 300 or so autos they found only five or so drivers over the limit. Now, is it reasonable to inconvenience 300 persons to catch 5? In a free country is it reasonable to allow police to stop and question every driver without probable cause? Is it fair to target selected business to inconvenience their customers? Would all these officers do just as well patroling the streets in trouble areas and watching for signs of impaired driving? Do we live in a free country or a police state? Just a few questions to ponder.

Spyder Garage

Default Check points

Checkpoints that are selective in type of vehicle are BS. Georgia has done a few, but there was such a stink that I hope they have been cancelled. I have never been stopped for anything like this and as a matter of fact, don't even have one drink any more. I would hope that all riders are adult and concientious enough to refrain from alcohol while riding. Some truckers supposedly have certain aledged drug problems, I don't see all 18 wheelers pulled over around midnight on any interstates. Of course, they only weigh 80 times what our bikes weigh, how could they possibly hurt someone? It also must be tough for the police to not set up roadblocks at some of these motorcycle cruise-in nights. I understand their side, but as properly stated above, if we can't selectively search certain "groups of people" at airports and borders, how can they justify stopping bikers? BTW, they may be legal (?) to stop me and probably 90 percent of my motorcycle friends any time they wish - that doesn't make it right.
    Every law enforcement person I see on the road, is probably looking to see that I don't have 4 wheels. I wave at every police car or bike I see. Keep up the good work, folks.

Tuck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you do not drink and ride then you have nothing to worry about !!!

When I get stopped at DUI check points while out riding the spyder after business is taken care of, the LEO s always gather around and ask about my spyder and the line of traffic grows and grows.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DUI'S

As a former LEO driving is not one of the constitutional rights....it's a PRIVILEDGE...and I have cleaned up enough DUI accident cites to last me 10 lifetimes , Oh and notifying families that so and so is not ever coming home really sucks also.....and DUI check-points are not money-makers....parking tickets and moving violations are....I could on but I doubt I will convince anyone who has their mind made up on this......Oh and out in Long Is. N.Y. the DA prosecutes DUI with death resulting as MURDER....please stay safe and give an LEO a break ....Mike.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    As a former LEO driving is not one of the constitutional rights....it's a PRIVILEDGE...and I have cleaned up enough DUI accident cites to last me 10 lifetimes , Oh and notifying families that so and so is not ever coming home really sucks also.....and DUI check-points are not money-makers....parking tickets and moving violations are....I could on but I doubt I will convince anyone who has their mind made up on this......Mike.....
    Yicks after reading this thread, I was beginning to wonder if we would have anyone (remember) that driving is NOT a right! At least it is not in Canada, so i'm assuming it will not be in the USA. So thanks Mike for your post - a little breath of fresh air!

As for check stops..... I would much rather go through them than give the drunks a (free pass) on the roads!

Just my .02

arntufun

I hope all you supporters of checkpoints have the same view about guns as well. Take them all away if it will save one life. You should not be able to pick a choose what rights you think are ok to be violated and what ones you stand up for.

I would love to have a debate about how they are violating your rights with these checkpoints , but forum rules say we can't.
    Last edited by arntufun; 04-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FIREARMS

Randy, I'm glad you changed the subject and brought this up.....I carry at all times..........it sure raises eyebrows when I take off my jacket....some poeple even head for the door..... ......Got to love Vermont......Mike.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    As a former LEO driving is not one of the constitutional rights....it's a PRIVILEDGE...and I have cleaned up enough DUI accident cites to last me 10 lifetimes , Oh and notifying families that so and so is not ever coming home really sucks also.....and DUI check-points are not money-makers....parking tickets and moving violations are....I could on but I doubt I will convince anyone who has their mind made up on this......Oh and out in Long Is. N.Y. the DA prosecutes DUI with death resulting as MURDER....please stay safe and give an LEO a break ....Mike.....
    I wish they had the electronic ability to detect texters as they pass by ALSO-- Because they are out of control.
    Every time I,m on the highway I can always tell the texter by their Wandering around the lane!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I hope all you supporters of checkpoints have the same view about guns as well. Take them all away if it will save one life.

I would love to have a debate about how they are violating your rights with these checkpoints , but forum rules say we can't.
    Those "Cans of Worms," are not related to "altered dangerous driving states?"

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I wish they had the electronic ability to detect texters as they pass by ALSO-- Because they are out of control.
    Every time I,m on the highway I can always tell the texter by their Wandering around the lane!
    Texting is also a huge issue here in Canada... But I read on different Canadian sites that it will soon be law for phone makers/ cell providers to block all incoming and out going messages to a phone that is in motion above a fixed speed. The impression that I get it this will stop the use of the text function in moving vehicles.
    Interesting thought!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kinderhook View Post
    . After stopping 300 or so autos they found only five or so drivers over the limit. Now, is it reasonable to inconvenience 300 persons to catch 5?
    YES, It is; That's 5 potential killers off the road,.

Spyder Garage

Again

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Couldn't be said any better, doing nothing wrong then nothing to fear, small inconvenience for added saftey....

Spyder Garage

The whole 'doin nothing wrong' defense is just nuts. I'm not doing anything wrong in my house either--- but I'll be damned if I'll let them search it whenever they want. Again-- the issue isn't drinking and driving--- it's about the checkpoints. If the real purpose of checkpoints is to save lives- then you should all support them stopping you and checking your texts and phone calls as texting and phone usage is more dangerous than drinking and driving.

For them to target a group of people bringing tens of thousands of dollars into their town is what ticks me off.

And for those that don't think it's about money--- you've got to be kidding me! DUI fines are huge money makers.