Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CB Radio Issues

Spyder Garage
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Well the dealer had me call 2 customer services phone numbers for Can_Am. I assume they were to Canada as I had to choose option 2 for English. Both customer service reps said they could not help me. Only the dealer could contact Tech Support . The only option the customer has , if he doesn't get the help he needs from his current dealer, is to go to another dealer.

So I called the dealer back . The Service Supervisor said he will make a written case request to Can-Am Tech Support after I told him that Can-Am told me to go to another dealer , and I asked for a new CB radio. The service supervisor asked I give him 24 hours. That was Thursday afternoon. Have not heard back yet.

Spyder Garage

Spoke with the dealer today. Can-Am responded to their written case request saying to start with replacing the current antennae. Can-Am has not had a report as bad as mine. Dealer to call when new antennae is in. They hope to have a Gold Wing ( they are a Honda dealer) there that they can use to test the new set up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope this helps

We along with many others have seen the CB issues. Our tech was actually one of the ones who was originally in contact with BRP engineers regarding the limp mode issues on the bikes. They have since corrected the issue. As far as the high pitch noise some are experiencing, if you have a J&M they are not supposed to be 100% compatible. According to the engineers, there are 2 wires that are backwards compared to the BRP setup. This causes interference, thus the noise. We have had 100% success with the CB's we have installed since the update when using BRP headsets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schronce_Powersports View Post
    We along with many others have seen the CB issues. Our tech was actually one of the ones who was originally in contact with BRP engineers regarding the limp mode issues on the bikes. They have since corrected the issue. As far as the high pitch noise some are experiencing, if you have a J&M they are not supposed to be 100% compatible. According to the engineers, there are 2 wires that are backwards compared to the BRP setup. This causes interference, thus the noise. We have had 100% success with the CB's we have installed since the update when using BRP headsets.
    The thought that the Can-AM CB would only work with Can-AM headsets reared its ugly head to me once. It seems to be just a money making deal if true. Since I own 2 other bikes with CB's, it would be quite expensive to buy two new helmets and two BRP headsets just to use the CB with the Spyder. One of the selling points of the J&M headsets is you only need the appropriate lower cord to use one helmet and headset with different bikes. No one, dealer or J&M, has told me that the J&M headsets are not compatible to the Spyder's CB.

Thanks for your information.

Spyder Garage

Default CB update

Well the snow and ice and then rain, finally broke so I took the Spyder to the dealer for the installation of a new antennae set. The dealer replace everything from the CB radio to , and including, the antennae. The tech did note that the original coaxial cable from the antennae that screws onto the CB unit had a center wire that was thicker in the bottom half than the top half, while the new cable's center wire was "straight". So the original antennae cable may not have gone into the CB fully.

Testing transmissions from my Spyder to a hand held CB were successful and without any squeals. Also , on the way home I was able to talk to a trucker on channel 19. Did not see any Gold Wings to test transmissions on channel 1 , but no squeals when pressing the PTT lever as before. Tomorrow, weather permitting , I plan on taking the Spyder to the weekly Gold Wing dinner ride to test transmissions on the road with the Gold Wings , which is why I got the CB in the first place.I will post the results.

Spyder Garage

Default CB update II

Rode with a couple of Gold Wing friends. Was able to transmit without any squeal . They reported they could understand me. The transmission does not sound as clear as with the CB on my Gold Wing, but my friend thought the Spyder's CB sounded better than the J&M handlebar CB on my ST. The Spyder's CB's transmission sounded tinny and with some "snow". I see in the DIY thread some tips to improve the transmission.

Spyder Garage

Default CB radio Issues

Not wanting to use the CB sold for the Can Am, I used the J&M handlebar CB unit off my Honda VTX1300 and transferred everything over to the Spyder. Did order the CB antenna for the Can Am from J&M but radio sounds better than it did on the X. I have a friend who had the dealership install the CB for the Can Am and she has had nothing but trouble also. There are options.

Spyder Garage

Unable to substantiate from other sources.

However, my dealer (RideNow here in Las Vegas) told me just three days ago that BRP/Can-Am will no longer be "providing" a CB as an optional accessory for the RT.

AJ
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Unable to substantiate from other sources.

However, my dealer (RideNow here in Las Vegas) told me just three days ago that BRP/Can-Am will no longer be "providing" a CB as an optional accessory for the RT.

AJ
    I wonder if it has anything to do with all the issues they had, and continue to have, with their "CB" and the fact it appeared not only did BRP engineers not understand how important this item was for touring riders on a "touring bike", but failed to properly train their techs in understanding, i.e. troubleshooting & repairing, the system itself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    I wonder if it has anything to do with all the issues they had, and continue to have, with their "CB" and the fact it appeared not only did BRP engineers not understand how important this item was for touring riders on a "touring bike", but failed to properly train their techs in understanding, i.e. troubleshooting & repairing, the system itself.
    That was my first thought!

But CBs for bikes are W A Y overpriced. It's only a basic CB with a "remote" head and waterproof case. Unidens top of the line @$105.00 add waterproofing and remote, price should not exceed 250.00. As for repair, not worth the tech time or equipment. Remove and replace module inside "waterproof box" and bad unit goes in the trash or back to factory for refurbishment.
    Today with digital finals should be able to autotune (ham radios been doing this since 90s) removing the need to tune for VSWR. It's not rocket science. All the tech is there to do it easily and inexpensively.

AJ
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

In another threat it was said Sound Radio ( or Radio Sound) made the CB for Can Am and also Harley. I went to their website where they announced they were making the OEM CB's for Can Am. However, a customer can not contact them directly. Only the OEM companies.

Spyder Garage

Angry Unbelievable

Took the Spyder to the local Gold Wing meeting. Afterwards went on a ride. First time I tried to transmit on the CB got the same old squeal .Squealed every attempt, even with the passenger push to talk button. I thought the CB was fixed. It worked the last two rides. I wonder if the CB unit is effected by exhaust heat as it is located above the muffler on the front edge of the right saddlebag. Tuesday I will be calling the dealer. A new CB unit is suppose to be the next step in resolving this problem. I think money back will be the final option.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation A surprising discovery

After my dealer called to tell me BRP approved a new CB unit for my Spyder, I tried the current CB with the CB on my Gold Wing. Setting side by side, the squeal was there. But this was almost expected when you have two units so close together. Moved the Spyder down the driveway. No squeal. Closer than about 15ft , squeal. This was with both bikes idling and just the rider headset connected. Then I tried it with the passenger and the rider's headsets connected. SQUEAL! with either PTT button. Disconnected the passenger's headset, No squeal. I have three helmets with headsets. Tried various combinations on the Spyder and with the Gold Wing. Every time both the passenger and rider headsets were connected at the sametime, the Spyder's CB squealed. If only one headset connected ,to either passenger or rider's cable , no squeal

I lead the Gold Wing chapter's dinner ride tonight on the Spyder. The girl friend had to work, so no passenger headset connected. Absolutely no problems with the Spyder's CB. Transmissions were clear. Everyone could hear my instructions and I could hear the drag's replies. The dealer never tested the Spyder's CB with both the passenger and rider's headsets connected.

Still, the Spyder's CB unit should work with both headsets connected. The RT is build to carry two. Any ideas why the CB squeals only with both heasdsets connected ?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonST View Post
    After my dealer called to tell me BRP approved a new CB unit for my Spyder, I tried the current CB with the CB on my Gold Wing. Setting side by side, the squeal was there. But this was almost expected when you have two units so close together. Moved the Spyder down the driveway. No squeal. Closer than about 15ft , squeal. This was with both bikes idling and just the rider headset connected. Then I tried it with the passenger and the rider's headsets connected. SQUEAL! with either PTT button. Disconnected the passenger's headset, No squeal. I have three helmets with headsets. Tried various combinations on the Spyder and with the Gold Wing. Every time both the passenger and rider headsets were connected at the sametime, the Spyder's CB squealed. If only one headset connected ,to either passenger or rider's cable , no squeal

I lead the Gold Wing chapter's dinner ride tonight on the Spyder. The girl friend had to work, so no passenger headset connected. Absolutely no problems with the Spyder's CB. Transmissions were clear. Everyone could hear my instructions and I could hear the drag's replies. The dealer never tested the Spyder's CB with both the passenger and rider's headsets connected.

Still, the Spyder's CB unit should work with both headsets connected. The RT is build to carry two. Any ideas why the CB squeals only with both heasdsets connected ?
    Does the CB work with the passenger headset only plugged in? Is the squeal the same kind of sound one gets by putting a microphone in front of a PA speaker? I'm wondering if a couple of wires are crossed in the entertainment harness or the the passenger headset harness. It sounds to me like the signal to the psgr headset speaker is being fed into the microphone connection. As soon as you push the PTT you have a signal being fed right into the microphone input. Just my speculation but the only thing I can think of at the moment. Have the dealer trace out all the wires from the psgr headset to the CB radio.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Every time both the passenger and rider headsets were connected at the sametime, the Spyder's CB squealed. If only one headset connected ,to either passenger or rider's cable , no squeal

You are experiencing FEEDBACK.

The two helmets MAY indeed work when both are being worn. Without the head to block, the sound from the speaker is feeding back into the mic.

AJ
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

You are experiencing FEEDBACK.

The two helmets MAY indeed work when both are being worn. Without the head to block, the sound from the speaker is feeding back into the mic.

AJ
    I have tried with and without heads in the helmets. Either way I get a squeal whenever the rider and passenger headsets are connected at the same time to the CB. With out heads in the helmets, no squeal if only one headset connect whether, her rider or passenger.

Spyder Garage

I have tried with and without heads in the helmets. Either way I get a squeal whenever the rider and passenger headsets are connected at the same time to the CB. With out heads in the helmets, no squeal if only one headset connect whether, her rider or passenger.
    Not sure if you mentioned this.

Does it squeal all the time they are connected or only when you press PTT?

One other question, when using the headset do you turnoff the External Speakers or are they still on; and if on, does the squeal also come through them?

AJ
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 03-30-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you mentioned this.

Does it squeal all the time they are connected or only when you press PTT?

One other question, when using the headset do you turnoff the External Speakers or are they still on; and if on, does the squeal also come through them?

AJ
    Squeals only when either PTT pressed.

The external speakers and headsets are on when using the FM radio. CB transmissions only come through the headsets. You can adjust the volume of the received transmissions in the audio screen separate from the radio. If the headsets are not plugged into the bike, there is no transmission from the CB. If you have the lower cable plugged into the bike but not connected to the headset, the CB will show a transmission or reception, but no sound from the speakers.The squeal is heard on my Gold Wing ( and friend's Gold Wing) through its headset or speakers,which ever the GW CB is set to when transmitting from the Spyder's CB ( if both headsets connected).

Spyder Garage

Squeals only when either PTT pressed.

The external speakers and headsets are on when using the FM radio. CB transmissions only come through the headsets. You can adjust the volume of the received transmissions in the audio screen separate from the radio. If the headsets are not plugged into the bike, there is no transmission from the CB. If you have the lower cable plugged into the bike but not connected to the headset, the CB will show a transmission or reception, but no sound from the speakers.The squeal is heard on my Gold Wing ( and friend's Gold Wing) through its headset or speakers,which ever the GW CB is set to when transmitting from the Spyder's CB ( if both headsets connected).
    With a cable plugged into the bike, there should be an "open" connection like a light switch in off and should never show an xmission unless one presses the PTT.
    Doesn't sound like the CB unit is at fault at all.

It appears the problem is with the lower cable (are the Can Am and Honda using the same lowers?) or the interface between the 2 sections or the connection from the lower to the bike since it's happening across 2 different bike manufacturers, but without schematics/wiring diagram it's impossible to be quiet sure.

Here's the logic tree.

Problem occurring across multiple bikes.
    Is the same lower cable being used on all bikes?
    If yes, look to the lower cable.
    If no, look to the headset/s (assuming same headsets are being used).

Good luck, Don - quite the puzzler

AJ
    2014 RT/S , Black