Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio Issues

Spyder Garage

Default CB Issues

As a prospective 2014 buyer, I know of some problems w/2014 CB'S, My buddy just got his installed in his 2014 wks. ago. Also BikeMP3 is working on an A.M. CB radio for the spyders. I spoke to them @ WingDing last week & they said it will be available thru them in a month or 2. They also said this CB is being made by the same Co. that makes them for Honda, Kaw. Can Am etc. So if i purchase & the dealer made me a sweet offer today, I will wait to see what BikeMP 3 has to offer. Thanks, MarcusB

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Update on my CB issue.

Just thought I'd update everyone on my CB woes. After reporting all my CB issues to the dealer, and demonstrating those that I could, they finally contacted BRP who told them to replace it. They went to order one and we're told they were on back order till October. Obviously the supplier is having problems. I wish BRP would change suppliers. So...if you're having CB issues on your RT, you're not alone. After paying a grand for a CB this is ridiculous. I'm sure glad I had the dealer install it, or they'd, no doubt, be trying to blame it on me.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CB issues

Hi, I have a 2012 RT and Have had problems with the CB It took me a year to discover that the CB is VHF when I thought it was UHF. I can't find anywhere where a UHF set is fitted to a Can am. The original works but we don't use them anymore. I would like to listen to the UHF channels to get highway updates etc. Hopeless on VHF. Anyone got any ideas?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kj2352 View Post
    Hi, I have a 2012 RT and Have had problems with the CB It took me a year to discover that the CB is VHF when I thought it was UHF. I can't find anywhere where a UHF set is fitted to a Can am. The original works but we don't use them anymore. I would like to listen to the UHF channels to get highway updates etc. Hopeless on VHF. Anyone got any ideas?
    An Aussie will need to pipe in to help you as the US uses an entirely different scheme for CBs I think. I've no idea if ours is UHF, VHF, AM, or FM, just that there are channels 1 to 40 in the CB band.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Bad CB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanwheeler View Post
    I found out that the CB is manufactured by 'Radio Sound Inc' out of Ky and is the same company who makes the CB's for HD. I would think that the two CB's would be virtually identical but who knows. Assuming they are the same unit than that narrows the issues down to wiring, antenna and headset. So I guess my best option at this point is to spend more money and I really don't like the idea of paying for a product and then having to spend more money to make it work right - know what I mean? But if I were to bit the bullet and do that I need to purchase a JM Corp Antenna for $99 and have it installed. NOTE: I was in a motorcycle accident any my left arm does not work properly so I have to find someone to help me do installs. Anyway, since I'm going to order the new Nolan n104 helmet I may as well order the hardwired cord from JM when I order the antenna. And finally, find a CB shop and have the antenna tuned. In theory, I should then have a working CB Radio.

This is most likely the steps I will take later this week. The burning questions is WHY HAVE WE BEEN PUT INTO A POSITION AS CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO DO THiS??????? Shouldn't BPR and it's dealers be addressing this issue and fixing the problem? Is this an indication of what we can expect when other issues arise?
    I too, am exwinger. Bought a 2011 RT-S and had CB installed. From day one had problems. Took back to dealer 6 or 7 times to get it fixed, 75 miles one way through Cleveland, Ohio. Changed dealers, and the new dealer found that the CB was not tuned to the coax cable. Changed out the coax and it worked beautifully. Bought a 2014 RT S with stock CB from this dealer and have no problems.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Finally CB might be working

The new CB finally came in, at the end of riding season, near the end of October. Dealer installed it and this one seems to be working. One of my helmets has a very old J&M audio system which seems to not work quite right, so I replaced it and the new one seems to be working OK. Won't really know about total performance until riding season starts up again in the spring of 2015.

Spyder Garage

I had the factory CB/Intercom on my 2010 along with the J&M headsets.
    Honestly, I didn't realize how badly it performed until I got the Sena Bluetooth setup on my 2014.
    The handheld CB radio I use with the Bluetooth wireless works better than the factory installed CB on my 2010.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure someone here will let me know if I am.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Mine worked wonderfully until the coax connection at the CB radio module broke. BRP changed out everything and now it hardly works at all. The conversation is staticy and has about 100 foot range. The old one was crystal clear with at least 1/2 mile range. Very disappointed to say the least.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default can't transmit

I finally got the new CB for my 2014 RT-S installed by the dealer. Worked fine in the garage between the Spyder and my Gold Wing. First chance to use it was on a New Year's Day ride with my Gold Wing chapter. I could transmit sitting in the parking lot, but once we got moving the CB squealed when I attempted to transmit. I could receive fine and the intercom worked. Any recommendations?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonST View Post
    I finally got the new CB for my 2014 RT-S installed by the dealer. Worked fine in the garage between the Spyder and my Gold Wing. First chance to use it was on a New Year's Day ride with my Gold Wing chapter. I could transmit sitting in the parking lot, but once we got moving the CB squealed when I attempted to transmit. I could receive fine and the intercom worked. Any recommendations?
    By any chance, do you have the BRP trailer hitch and were you towing on that ride? In the first year of the RT, there was a trailer harness ground issue that resulted in a problem like that. This would be the harness installed on the RT itself that the trailer would plug into. It also caused other problems.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the CB for the Spyders sucks, what i did the fix the problems I was having I went with the following

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CSCBA-300

ToM
    SpyderFest '15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    I think the CB for the Spyders sucks, what i did the fix the problems I was having I went with the following

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CSCBA-300

ToM
    SpyderFest '15

I have installed this same J&M antenna kit also. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to really test it out, even though I installed more than a year ago. I have heard good things about it, so hope it is a worthwhile upgrade.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I had the factory CB/Intercom on my 2010 along with the J&M headsets.
    Honestly, I didn't realize how badly it performed until I got the Sena Bluetooth setup on my 2014.
    The handheld CB radio I use with the Bluetooth wireless works better than the factory installed CB on my 2010.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure someone here will let me know if I am.
    I am going to be using the same set up as you on my 2015 RT. What antenna are you using?
    I thought about using a firestick no ground plane antenna, but have thought about using the rubber antenna that came with the portable midland cb.

I had the BRP CB/COMM system on my 2010 RT S and it was a total waste of money. Even with the J&M CB Antenna upgrade the cb did not transmit or receive very well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    By any chance, do you have the BRP trailer hitch and were you towing on that ride? In the first year of the RT, there was a trailer harness ground issue that resulted in a problem like that. This would be the harness installed on the RT itself that the trailer would plug into. It also caused other problems.
    I do not have a trailer hitch. Where would this ground be ?

It seems a shame that you would have to buy a J& M antenna kit to make the really expensive stock CB work. I wonder if a Honda Gold Wing CB unit could be mounted in the same place as the Can-Am radio. Probably would not work with the Spyder's computer.

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is a shame that BRP can not make an antenna that works with there own CB.

ToM
    SpyderFest '15

Life is Great
    ToM

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Comm Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanwheeler View Post
    Ok, I'm going to try and be as diplomatic as possible but right now I am not a happy camper. I purchased a 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited plus accessories, spending roughly $32,000! I am on my third CB and now this one is not working properly. With that said, my first question is, has BPR even acknowledge that they have a MAJOR issue with their CB unites? When my dealer calls NO ONE at BPR seems to know anything about the CB's, not even basic wiring or setting questions. Come on BPR you are better than that!

My second question is who makes BPR's CB? And is there an after market CD that will plug into the Spyders existing connections and integrate with the rest of the system.

My second issue is the headset. No matter what is playing sound only comes out of the left ear piece and then to top that off one of the dealers employees tried to tell me that that was normal.

Up until now the service has been outstanding and first class all the way but this is whole communications issue is really making my dealer look bad and most certainly make one question BPR's commitment to building a machine that can compete with high-end touring bikes such as the BMW 1600, Goldwing an H-D Ultra.

I am open for suggestions!
    Dump your Spyder and get a Gold Wing. I did and I don't regret it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oilslick1234 View Post
    Dump your Spyder and get a Gold Wing. I did and I don't regret it.
    I doubt the OP will ever see your comment. He hasn't posted here since May, 2012! The post you're responding to is dated April, 2012. Looking at his postings he came to a Spyder from a Goldwing. A wrecked one at that!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CB Problem

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 with a CB unit. First trip out with another bike with a CB and my unit worked great. Second time I went out with them, I push the PTT button and got a "loud squeal" in the helmet and my wife's helmet, couldn't use it. Off to the delaership and they replaced the unit, wiring harness and it was fixed according to the mechanic. Went out to check it, nope, still doing the same thing. Still waiting on BRP to decide how to proceed next, and this has been going on for the past month or more.
    You would think that they would fine another supplier for there CB units if there crap, especially after having problems with them the past few years and after BRP charging about 1000.00 for this accessory, it's about time for someone to take the bull by the horns and get with it, customers are not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

$1000.00 dollars for a CB is about $900.00 more than it ought to be. They probably make them for about $25 using Chinese discount parts. What a rip off!

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Loud Squeal

Quote Originally Posted by spydercamp13 View Post
    I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 with a CB unit. First trip out with another bike with a CB and my unit worked great. Second time I went out with them, I push the PTT button and got a "loud squeal" in the helmet and my wife's helmet, couldn't use it. Off to the delaership and they replaced the unit, wiring harness and it was fixed according to the mechanic. Went out to check it, nope, still doing the same thing. Still waiting on BRP to decide how to proceed next, and this has been going on for the past month or more.
    You would think that they would fine another supplier for there CB units if there crap, especially after having problems with them the past few years and after BRP charging about 1000.00 for this accessory, it's about time for someone to take the bull by the horns and get with it, customers are not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Same problem I am having ( see my first post above). Called the dealer and the service manager said to bring the Spyder in and he will have the tech look at it. Asked if they had had this problem with any other Spyder's CB. Service manager replied," No.". I am assuming you have the latest CB that came available after October 2014. It will be next week before I can get the Spyder to the dealer ( 127 miles away). Two motorcycle dealers closer to me are getting Spyders this month. One handles Gold Wings and has a dedicated accessory man who installs and handles their CBs. Talked to him last night. He said he has no information on the Spyder's CBs and no idea why the Spyder's CB would do this.

Spyder Garage

Default CB issues

I came from a GoldWing and sure do miss the hassle free audio system. From what I read in the J&M website, their antenna should solve the short transmitting range of the oem Spyder CB.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

I do not have a trailer hitch. Where would this ground be ?

It seems a shame that you would have to buy a J& M antenna kit to make the really expensive stock CB work. I wonder if a Honda Gold Wing CB unit could be mounted in the same place as the Can-Am radio. Probably would not work with the Spyder's computer.
    The ground problem was in the wiring harness that is a part of the trailer hitch assembly and is installed on the Spyder itself. Again, this information is from the 2010 RT, so may not apply to newer models.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Well, I dropped the Spyder off at the dealer who I bought it from. Talked to their mechanic, who admitted he knew nothing about CB radios, although he was the one who installed it. Said he will call BRP on Tuesday . Then the service writter is suppose to call me. I left my helmets with the headgear so they could test the CB with them.

Before I left home, I tried the transmitting with the Spyder's CB to my Gold Wing's CB. Again, when both bikes are sitting still ( Spyder was running), The Spyder CB worked at low Gold Wing CB volume ,but the Gold Wing CB only squeaked with its volume turned up. On the way to the dealership, I tried talking to some truckers. I could hear them loud and clear , but got no reply when I asked if they could hear me.

I will post what I hear from the dealer next week.

Spyder Garage

Well, I dropped the Spyder off at the dealer who I bought it from. Talked to their mechanic, who admitted he knew nothing about CB radios, although he was the one who installed it. Said he will call BRP on Tuesday . Then the service writter is suppose to call me. I left my helmets with the headgear so they could test the CB with them.

Before I left home, I tried the transmitting with the Spyder's CB to my Gold Wing's CB. Again, when both bikes are sitting still ( Spyder was running), The Spyder CB worked at low Gold Wing CB volume ,but the Gold Wing CB only squeaked with its volume turned up. On the way to the dealership, I tried talking to some truckers. I could hear them loud and clear , but got no reply when I asked if they could hear me.

I will post what I hear from the dealer next week.
    Well, the dealer reported that the tech checked the CB and antennae wiring and harness. Made sure all grounds were connected. Then the tech rode my Spyder with my helmet on while transmitting to a handheld CB the service adviser had. The problem, the adviser said, was my squelch was too high and my microphone setting was too low. After these were adjusted, the Spyder's CB worked while being ridden by the tech.

I am not totally convinced these are the cure. I don't recall having the squelch set high effecting transmission , only reception. I have not had a CB with a microphone setting before.

I will not pick up the Spyder till Saturday, and then might not get to ride with my Gold Wing friends to test the CB until next week. If the CB still has a problem, then a new dealer may be in order. I will post the results .

Spyder Garage

I picked up my Spyder yesterday from the dealer. As noted before, they said the CB , antennae, and wiring harness were OK. The problem was my squelch was too high and microphone too low. They tested the CB's transmission with my helmet while the tech talked to another holding a hand held CB while the bike was being ridden.

Well, on the way home I could hear truckers talking on channel 19 but could not get any one to response to my transmission. At least the CB did not squeak when the PTT lever was pulled.

At home, we tested the Spyder's CB transmission to my Gold Wing while they were separated by the length of my driveway. Both had their engines running but where not moving. The CB worked as it should.

So encouraged that the CB was fixed, we rode the Spyder to the Gold Wing chapter meeting. Afterwards rode with a buddy who was on his Gold Wing. No matter how I changed the settings of the CB, it squeaked every time I pressed the PTT button. My buddy said he could here me in the background , but I could not hear myself over the squeak. The intercom worked once I adjusted the sensitivity down to 3 bars and the microphone ( which the instruction sheet says is for the intercom, not the CB) almost to the top of its scale. The CB squeaked when my girl friend use the PTT button on the passenger's audio cable. The CB squeaked even when we were idling outside the garage when we got home, no matter what settings were used.

Any ideas?