Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio Issues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CB Radio Issues

Ok, I'm going to try and be as diplomatic as possible but right now I am not a happy camper. I purchased a 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited plus accessories, spending roughly $32,000! I am on my third CB and now this one is not working properly. With that said, my first question is, has BPR even acknowledge that they have a MAJOR issue with their CB unites? When my dealer calls NO ONE at BPR seems to know anything about the CB's, not even basic wiring or setting questions. Come on BPR you are better than that!

My second question is who makes BPR's CB? And is there an after market CD that will plug into the Spyders existing connections and integrate with the rest of the system.

My second issue is the headset. No matter what is playing sound only comes out of the left ear piece and then to top that off one of the dealers employees tried to tell me that that was normal.

Up until now the service has been outstanding and first class all the way but this is whole communications issue is really making my dealer look bad and most certainly make one question BPR's commitment to building a machine that can compete with high-end touring bikes such as the BMW 1600, Goldwing an H-D Ultra.

I am open for suggestions!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CB issues

We also have a a problem with our CB. They did replace it and it works better but not what I would call acceptable. What does it appear to do or more correctly, not do? Some things we looked at and discussed with other Spyder owners. Possible bad connections in the rear trunk due to moisture, needing better quality spark plug wires because the engine electrical noise is transmitting when the bike is at 5000 rpms, some additional modular items needing to be replaced. It is very strange as I have some friends with RTs that claim perfect CBs. We come from Gold Wings and are heavy CB users.please let us know what steps they have taken because our Spyder needs help also. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Default CB issues

We initially had some issues with reception with our CB but with getting the settings right we are good now and can talk between 7of us with CB's. I have a J&M CB on my RSS and had to move some wires since I was getting a lot of RF interference and engine noise. I moved the line filter and moved the antenna cable away from the plug coil and so far so good.

You should have sound coming out of both ear pieces so I would look at connections or wires. I moved our J&M headsets from our full face to modular helmets and found out that my wire mount on the outside had a bad wire inside and only worked on one side. Got a new mount and plugged it all together and we have sound.

You should be happy with the CB once it all gets sorted with the dealer so keep at it. Distance is not going to be the greatest. You are only looking at about 1.5 miles at best on a straight road with no obstructions and a tail wind with the stars in perfect allignment.

Spyder Garage

Hey Guys, I came from the wing world also and thought the CB was very bad. On a trip to the north wet (Seattle) I could not get more than 3 or 4 car lengths from my buddy on his wing or I could not hear him. They replaced the CB a couple of times, gave me some other info about the coax cable being pinched and such. The fixer for me... same CB, J&M CB antenna. No more problems. Now I have the same functionality as I did on the wing. Can't say it will help you, but for me made all the difference.

I also have the J&M headsets like I did on the other bike and have no problems with the audio either.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

To give you hope, we have the OEM CB with J&M wired headsets and we have no complaints. We are also Wingers and ride/communicate with those friends.

2014 Cognac RTS-SE6 & RT 622
    1993 Teal Gold Wing SE

Spyder Garage

Default antenna

You might need to get the antenna tuned at a CB shop. They are usually not tuned and get better reception at the lower channels, little worse in the middle and none at all at higher channels. I just installed a J&M on an RT and had to tune quite a bit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A Possible Fix

I found out that the CB is manufactured by 'Radio Sound Inc' out of Ky and is the same company who makes the CB's for HD. I would think that the two CB's would be virtually identical but who knows. Assuming they are the same unit than that narrows the issues down to wiring, antenna and headset. So I guess my best option at this point is to spend more money and I really don't like the idea of paying for a product and then having to spend more money to make it work right - know what I mean? But if I were to bit the bullet and do that I need to purchase a JM Corp Antenna for $99 and have it installed. NOTE: I was in a motorcycle accident any my left arm does not work properly so I have to find someone to help me do installs. Anyway, since I'm going to order the new Nolan n104 helmet I may as well order the hardwired cord from JM when I order the antenna. And finally, find a CB shop and have the antenna tuned. In theory, I should then have a working CB Radio.

This is most likely the steps I will take later this week. The burning questions is WHY HAVE WE BEEN PUT INTO A POSITION AS CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO DO THiS??????? Shouldn't BPR and it's dealers be addressing this issue and fixing the problem? Is this an indication of what we can expect when other issues arise?

Spyder Garage

I just installed the factory setup and everything seems to be working. (no CB users around to check range) but yesterday my headset started acting up and I discovered it actually plugs down in to the clamp that mounts the head set to the helmut. I realize now that the boom and the cord can be removed when not in use which just leaves a 1/8" stereo jack (male end) sticking out. I pushed in on good an tight and I had stereo again.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 05-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanwheeler View Post
    I found out that the CB is manufactured by 'Radio Sound Inc' out of Ky and is the same company who makes the CB's for HD. I would think that the two CB's would be virtually identical but who knows. Assuming they are the same unit than that narrows the issues down to wiring, antenna and headset. So I guess my best option at this point is to spend more money and I really don't like the idea of paying for a product and then having to spend more money to make it work right - know what I mean? But if I were to bit the bullet and do that I need to purchase a JM Corp Antenna for $99 and have it installed. NOTE: I was in a motorcycle accident any my left arm does not work properly so I have to find someone to help me do installs. Anyway, since I'm going to order the new Nolan n104 helmet I may as well order the hardwired cord from JM when I order the antenna. And finally, find a CB shop and have the antenna tuned. In theory, I should then have a working CB Radio.

This is most likely the steps I will take later this week. The burning questions is WHY HAVE WE BEEN PUT INTO A POSITION AS CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO DO THiS??????? Shouldn't BPR and it's dealers be addressing this issue and fixing the problem? Is this an indication of what we can expect when other issues arise?
    The J&M CB Antenna comes pre-tuned, so you don't have to have it tuned. I just installed mine over the weekend and haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but hopefully a few of us will get out this weekend and give her a test run.
    I agree that the CB's certainly could have been A LOT better and BRP should have provided better setup and use instructions.
    I'm sure you'll be happy with it once you get it setup correctly. It sure is nice to be able to chat with others in the group and not have to guess what their hand signals might mean.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went back to the dealer today and they replaced the headset in the helmet and now I finally have sound coming from both sides. Makes a huge difference in understanding any thing coming over the CB. I kept missing with the CB setting an finally got it working better - not great but better. Plan on ordering the JM Corp Antenna in a week or so and hope that brings it up to par with the other CB's in our group.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It was all very helpful.

Spyder Garage

went to J&M antenna. no improvement in TRANSMISSION. we receive no problem but when transmitting there is a heavy background engine whine transmitting so hard to hear what is being sent from the Spyder!

can receive from a Car mounted CB about a mile! when stopped the background noise on transmission almost all goes away. was hoping it was an antenna issue but no go.

did get some help when had display cluster replaced (but that is a 2010 transmission sticking issue on the 2010 RTs and CB TX being stuck on). fixed with new cluster.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Default J and M Headset

Which model of the J and M headset are Spyder ryders using? I am wanting to change from the Can Am headset to the J and M headset. My wife's left earphone has never worked and my earphones work intermittently. We have the Fulmer M1 modular helmets. Thanks in advance for any and all information regarding J and M headsets.
    Regards,
    Reese
    Last edited by rcantrell52; 05-01-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanwheeler View Post

I think the dealers just doesn't know about CBs like a Honda dealer who sells GW. You just can beat a J&M headset.

Hope you get the CB working like you like it.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Headset

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    Which model of the J and M headset are Spyder ryders using? I am wanting to change from the Can Am headset to the J and M headset. My wife's left earphone has never worked and my earphones work intermittently. We have the Fulmer M1 modular helmets. Thanks in advance for any and all information regarding J and M headsets.
    Regards,
    Reese
    Here is a link to the Can-Am page. If you have any questions the owner of the company usually answers the technical questions. I just got my new Nolan N-104 helmet with headset installed and a J&M antenna to install on my RT next week. I recommend going with the top of the line Elite headset. May as well do it right from the start.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I just installed the factory setup and everything seems to be working. (no CB users around to check range) but yesterday my headset started acting up and I discovered it actually plugs down in to the clamp that mounts the head set to the helmut. I realize now that the boom and the cord can be removed when not in use which just leaves a 1/8" stereo jack (male end) sticking out. I pushed in on good an tight and I had stereo again.
    I fixed this by two small drops of super glue in the bottom of the plug area not near the jack. now it stays connected. we had our come loose way too often. and no time were we ever removing the boom cord from the helmet ... we use them all the time.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadPenny View Post
    You might need to get the antenna tuned at a CB shop. They are usually not tuned and get better reception at the lower channels, little worse in the middle and none at all at higher channels. I just installed a J&M on an RT and had to tune quite a bit.

Why don't you just buy a no-ground plane antenna with cable from J&M? Sure would solve a lot of your problems I would think. Also be sure and tune the antenna once you have it installed. When companys "pre-tune" an antenna on the bench it is NOT tuned to your radio.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the1stwingrider View Post
    Why don't you just buy a no-ground plane antenna with cable from J&M? Sure would solve a lot of your problems I would think. Also be sure and tune the antenna once you have it installed. When companys "pre-tune" an antenna on the bench it is NOT tuned to your radio.
    Welcome to the club!

Oops!

I see you are a new poster. Just a word of caution. Be sure to check the dates on postings before you reply. You replied to a nearly 2 year old message. Topics that old have often been overtaken by events, new information, technology changes, people passing or moving on, etc. If you really do find an old post that you have good reason to revive then make sure everyone knows that you know you are doing so on purpose by saying something like, "I know this is an old topic, but...."

Thanks,
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am a new member so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. I just had a CB installed in my 2014 RTS and I have a horrible squeal in the headset when I key up the CB. After running some tests I'm sure it's RF getting into the audio. Is this something common? Will BRP know how to fix it? Anyone have any suggestions? I am using a Nolan helmet with J&M audio components.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vern2014RTS View Post
    I am a new member so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. I just had a CB installed in my 2014 RTS and I have a horrible squeal in the headset when I key up the CB. After running some tests I'm sure it's RF getting into the audio. Is this something common? Will BRP know how to fix it? Anyone have any suggestions? I am using a Nolan helmet with J&M audio components.
    Hopefully, your dealer shold be able to help. setting/playing the settings on the display can be a pain in the ..., but use the book to try. I have decent, but not gret with mine.
    Good Luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Hopefully, your dealer shold be able to help. setting/playing the settings on the display can be a pain in the ..., but use the book to try. I have decent, but not gret with mine.
    Good Luck
    Oldmanzues
    I have tried adjusting everything that is available to adjust and nothing helps. I've read about people putting a big braided grounding strap on the radio and wondered if that might help. When they do that, generally what are they trying to solve.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default while we're talking CB,

My 2010 RT has always had the irritating habit of holding the channel open for about 10 to 15 seconds after releasing the ptt button. This occurs 50 or 60 % of the time. The dealer always says he can't duplicate the problem. Reception and range seem OK.

Spyder Garage

Genr8r, your issue is the instrument cluster. It caused the PTT to stick. Those with that problem in 2010 were replaced under BRP warranty. I know this because my 2010 RT was one of them.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-06-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vern2014RTS View Post

I had the same problem on my 2012 but only when I had a passenger on. Found that if the passenger would actually hold the cord that goes from the helmet to the bike the squeal would go away. I put a couple of the old magnets that used to come with monitors (the little ones that wrapped around the monitor power cord) on the headset connectors and the problem went away. Just have to take a little plastic off to get underneath the connectors on the bike. Have not had the issue on my 2014.

Willy

Spyder Garage

However, two weeks ago on a SRA ride in Big Bear, I had a CB malfunction. We had just left to come home when I pushed the PTT to transmit and tell the other spyder something. When I did that all communication and sound went dead. No CB, no Intercomm, no AM/FM radio, all nothing. I looked down at the screen and no TX indicator. No matter what I did, nothing, no sound from anything. Rode that way all the way home. The next day, started up the bike and it all worked.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.