Spyder Garage

Default Another GPS question

I know, I know, there are hundreds of questions about GPS but I have got another. I have 2012 RT Limited with Zumo 660. Would like to change location to left side of dash. So question is how to power? Yesterday I unbolted holder from center of bars to try to disconnect power cable there, no go, cable connects to the bottom of the black GPS holder and is to big to get through the hole in the handlebars. Also the Zumo 660 I have doesn't have a external power plugin, the only power plugin is behind cover on back of GPS, and its plugin for computer. So how do I get power to a different location for GPS? And secondly when I move GPS what do I do with bracket and cable at current location?

Spyder Garage

The mount, the part the Zumo clamps to, and the bracket, that bolts to the handle bars, are 2 different pieces. You would reuse the mount in the new location with new way of fastening to the dash. Many have done this same thing and if you do a search you may find something and likely someone will post what they did.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is how I did mine. Not a Zumo but this was the idea.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...V-outlet-video

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

billybovine
    The mount, the part the Zumo clamps to, and the bracket, that bolts to the handle bars, are 2 different pieces. You would reuse the mount in the new location with new way of fastening to the dash. Many have done this same thing and if you do a search you may find something and likely someone will post what they did.

Billybovine I know the bracket that bolts to handlebars and the black plastic bracket that the GPS mounts on are 2 different pieces. I would like to reuse the plastic bracket at new location but it will not fit through the hole in handlebars so I can relocate, and it will not come apart. Any other ideas?

Spyder Garage

Bob watched you video before posting question. What you did is great idea, but as they say different strokes for different folks. I am going to relocate GPS either to the left handlebar or on the left side of dash. Have had in this location on a number of bikes and it works for me. As I mentioned really 2 questions, how do I get existing cable and plastic bracket relocated, and secondly if this is not possible how do I get power to Zumo 660, it not having external hole for plugging in power?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could use the car mount that came with the Zumo 660.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    billybovine

Billybovine I know the bracket that bolts to handlebars and the black plastic bracket that the GPS mounts on are 2 different pieces. I would like to reuse the plastic bracket at new location but it will not fit through the hole in handlebars so I can relocate, and it will not come apart. Any other ideas?
    Disconnect the wires going to the radio. Power and Audio wires. The connectors are located at the right rear of the gas tank. Then pull the harness out the top of the handlebars.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You could use the car mount that came with the Zumo 660.
    You could but that mount is not watertight and it will put the Zumo in car mode.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billybovine I thought of doing that just after posting reply. Thanks, it takes some of us a little long to figure things out.