Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlynBryan View Post
    I work on spyders and use this site and the new site on BRP. I find lots of great info and I understand what the customers are talking about because I can go look it up here too. For me the more info the better. The days of (won't start) just does not work with Spyders. I also can tell customers to come here and read about others that are having the same problems.This is a great site for customers and techs. Thanks Bryan
    You are the future of a well informed tech. I know their are some pita customers that think because they read it on a forum somewhere that they must have the same problem. We both know this is not always the case but when a customer can point a dealer in the right direction when it comes to service bulletins or recalls that they can verify in BossWeb then I don't see why they would get upset about that.

Bottomline is we both want the same thing, we want the bike/Spyder fixed right the first time and we want it to be in and out of the shop as soon as it can be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I had 2012-4 TB update done that came out earlier this month and no problems with gas gauge. Do I need to get another update?
    You would only have a problem if you didn't have the analog gauges. You should be fine.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Knowledge is power. Some of the weaker dealers are not too happy about the shift in knowledge and power from them to the rider/owner. A good test of the dealership is their relationsip to the forum and owners in general. Those that are forward thinkers would gladly recommnend that a new owner get educated even basicaly in the mechanical nature of their ride as it is easier to deal with a knowledeable rider than one who is at a complete loss. I would think that having this forum available to new riders would be a terrific sales tool, in particular for a new technology with limited dealer outlets.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Right or Wrong, Most multi brand dealers don't have the time to read all the info put out on the many Forums.
    Especially since some of the forums are getting like face book, It would be almost impossible for a mechanic to separate [Time wise] the posted mechanical problems from the, For lack of a better word, The nonsense.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Right or Wrong, Most multi brand dealers don't have the time to read all the info put out on the many Forums.
    Especially since some of the forums are getting like face book, It would be almost impossible for a mechanic to separate [Time wise] the posted mechanical problems from the, For lack of a better word, The nonsense.
    However, my dealer does listen when I explain what I found here. But, like recyclables, you have to do some separating.

Spyder Garage

My dealer recommended this site, he also took notes about some changes I would like to see on the Syder.
    The sevice writer mentioned updates to the son's owner and said that they need to hook up the budd's to the floor models and update them.
    Seems like a pretty nice place, even though I have to ride a 100 miles to get there lol.
    mtbear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While the forums are a good source of information ( when i trouble shoot I go to forums sometimes .. shhh thats was my little trick ) . Sometimes you cant fix a stupid dealer either i mean even if the company sends out directions to install a light this way they know better and wont and it screws up . Forums in my expereince is a great tool for the DIY'er . The rest of the time its jibberish to someone else , I mean If i started talking about how I had to test for this trigger or a second ignition and isolating circuits and diode isolating this and I have to put a 10k resistor inline to get this voltage most people would look at me cross eyed LOL. You will get people who think they know their a$$ from a hole in the ground and dont know anyhting and want to sound like they do or you get the guy who could be the next head tech at your dealer , PLEASE dont get me wrong when your dealer is saying no problem found and you STILL have the problem a little ammo goes along way to show you that your dealer is sorta either lazy or doesnt know what they are doing and needs some help .

For me it was never the forum helping people , it was the guy who came in acting like he knew more than I did and tried to do my job for me . Its like going to the dr and saying I have this because Dr OZ says so wiht out any tests, and finding out you just have something easy like a sinus headache after some tests LOL .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I have a problem with something, I'll research the issue, and if I have to bring it in, I'll say. "this is what is happening. I think it may be this or this because of this or this". I'm a really smart guy (true, but hey, I never said I was humble) and can usually puzzle things out, or at least have a pretty good idea of how something works, but I also know and can admit when something is beyond me. I'll do my research to hopefully save the tech time (and thus me money). As a computer tech and programmer, I also try to be as descriptive and accurate as possible, leaving no details out so there is less opportunity for misunderstanding or the absence of an important detail leading to an incorrect conclusions. I hate having to deal with incomplete info in my work, so I try to make things as easy as possible for others working on my stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that my dealer is in here...
    And he probably wishes that my computer would die a horrible death!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I know that my dealer is in here...
    Is that helping getting your Spyder fixed.

Seems like they've had it for quite some time now.?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I learned my lesson last month, it is worth going for the 1 hour ride to the dealer to have someone who cares about my Spyder. Never again will I go the easy route if it can be avoided.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Is that helping getting your Spyder fixed.

Seems like they've had it for quite some time now.?
    Now why'd you have to go and remind me of that??

Spyder Garage

Default Exceptional Dealer

I live in Citrus Heights, Ca (Sacramento area) and have haddealer problems for the past 3 years. IMHO there is only one good dealer in ourarea. Marina Boats Sales 820 Beckman Road Lodi, CA 95240
    (209) 367-1111. Twice this dealer has been able to fix my Spyderafter the ALL the other dealers in this area failed.

When my 6000 and 12000 mile services were due to bedone I called and make a appointment with them to have the service done. I toldthem that I was a 100 mile round trip away for me and would like to wait forthe services to be done. Both times we agreed on a time and day that was bestfor me. Both times when I arrived they took the Spyder into the shop and gaveit to the tech that I requested to do the work (Dave) and I was out of there ina few hours.
    I know of Spyder riders who live in the San Franciscoarea (180) miles round trip that that take their Spyders there to have workdone at this dealer...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Spyder Ryder View Post
    I live in Citrus Heights, Ca (Sacramento area) and have haddealer problems for the past 3 years. IMHO there is only one good dealer in ourarea. Marina Boats Sales 820 Beckman Road Lodi, CA 95240
    (209) 367-1111. Twice this dealer has been able to fix my Spyderafter the ALL the other dealers in this area failed.

When my 6000 and 12000 mile services were due to bedone I called and make a appointment with them to have the service done. I toldthem that I was a 100 mile round trip away for me and would like to wait forthe services to be done. Both times we agreed on a time and day that was bestfor me. Both times when I arrived they took the Spyder into the shop and gaveit to the tech that I requested to do the work (Dave) and I was out of there ina few hours.
    I know of Spyder riders who live in the San Franciscoarea (180) miles round trip that that take their Spyders there to have workdone at this dealer...
    Just wondering, Does your dealer sell and service all brands of bikes or mostly BRP product's.

chickridin

Excuse my ignorance but......what is BUDDS????

Spyder Garage

BUDS is the computer system that BRP designed to plug into the Spyder and diagnose issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just came from my dealer, which just happens to have the same owner as the dealer referenced by the OP. I was there for my 600 mi and I told him about a vibration problem. Because I had spent considerable time researching it here, I added that it sounded like a problem others were having with their belt tension. He rolled his eyes, told be it probably wasn't the belt, and warned me about using an internet forum to diagnose a problem (like I was a little kid). When I picked it up today, he admitted that the belt was as loose as he'd ever seen at 600 miles and that he'd cranked up the tension. It's like a different bike now.

I understand how service people can get tired of every snot-licker walking in thinking they're a damned expert. As a retired engineer, I've had the same problem getting a customer to give a concise description of the SYMPTOMS and quit trying to tell me what the PROBLEM is. But I also think that if a customer has indicated that he has done some research and found others that experienced similar symptoms, he should appreciate the input and be a little less condescending.

Since it's under warranty, I suppose it doesn't really matter to me how long it takes him to diagnose a problem. But if it's my nickel, I want to get him focused on the solution as quickly as possible.

chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by larrymz3 View Post
    BUDS is the computer system that BRP designed to plug into the Spyder and diagnose issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thank you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Doodah;445415]Because I had spent considerable time researching it here, I added that it sounded like a problem others were having with their belt tension. He rolled his eyes, told be it probably wasn't the belt, and warned me about using an internet forum to diagnose a problem (like I was a little kid). When I picked it up today, he admitted that the belt was as loose as he'd ever seen at 600 miles and that he'd cranked up the tension. It's like a different bike now.
    QUOTE]

Good catch on your part, and at least he admitted that you were right! He'll listen closer the next time you tell him something...

"Snot lickers"???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a great phrase to assist with forums are good to a point today but to be honest I lost my train of thought . I was thrown into some overtime tonite for a "ghost hunt " at the campus I work at .It was WAY more to the point and true that what I will ever say so sorry blame my job today for my memory loss ! If I think of it I will post it LOL . SORRY its been a long day and I should be somewhere south of Chicago right now

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my dealership (White's Cycle & Marine, in Chattanooga, TN) is VERY receptive to customers being informed. they take forum posts with a good attitude and try to learn from it. your dealership is
    setting themselves up for FAILURE with that attitude.

I found out about the latest brake recall.... before the dealership did. which concerns me a bit about the pace of recall notification to a dealership. with today's technology, there should only be a few hours before the entire world knows.

if a dealership cops a piss poor attititude about you being informed... cop a new dealership !!!

just a suggestion... put your concerns on paper, when turning a bike in for svc or repair; and attach it to the repair order. keeps from having some of the misunderstandings of what you said, and what they thought you meant.
    Last edited by SpydeRider2010; 04-26-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    I don't want to upset them because they're close and the next two closest dealers ( same company ) have bad ratings.
    LOL. As soon as I read that, I scrolled back up to see if you live in Columbus.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now why'd you have to go and remind me of that??

Don't know who you are using. Rusty Palmer in Honesdale PA., is an awesome dealer and not too far from you. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Still cant think about what I wanted to say ... cause it was damn funny tooo !!!! . Well everyone at home and riding be safe, if you are in Cuba be safe and have a safe ride home !!!!!