Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good advice from Scotty, StanProff, Lamont and others. My understanding is that the throttle body problems on the 2011's were caused by a software problem. I'm not sure about the 2010's. I know that the butterflies on the throttle body that came off my 2010 felt stiffer (harder to move by hand) than those on the replacement. I don't know if there is any way to predict whether a given 2010 will have problems or not.

The shorter windshield on the 2011 is probably better but the only time I have any problem with mine is in the rain. Like StanProff, I have to look through the windshield even with it all the way down so if the light is just right and there's rain on the shield, sometimes it can be a slight problem but not serious enough to spend much money to correct.

Assuming that you can buy a 2010 for considerably less money than a 2011 0r 2012, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I expect to be riding my 2010 for quite some time.

Cotton

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Shocks and windshield...
    I wouldn't change out the shocks until I tried bumping the preload up from the stock (#3) position... It was definitely soft as delivered, but I moved mine to position #4 and have been pretty darn happy with it... But I'm also CHEAP!
    The smaller windshield will (might?) offer a bit better fuel economy; but they're expensive enough that you can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of one.
    Oh! I think that they also rewired the front trunk electronics so that you can open it with the button without starting the Bike up
    How exactly do you bump the shock to position 4? I was looking at the shocks and it looks like it takes a special tool. Does the RT come with the tool? There also seems to be a possible 5th position. is that right?

thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Good advice from Scotty, StanProff, Lamont and others. My understanding is that the throttle body problems on the 2011's were caused by a software problem. I'm not sure about the 2010's. I know that the butterflies on the throttle body that came off my 2010 felt stiffer (harder to move by hand) than those on the replacement. I don't know if there is any way to predict whether a given 2010 will have problems or not.

The shorter windshield on the 2011 is probably better but the only time I have any problem with mine is in the rain. Like StanProff, I have to look through the windshield even with it all the way down so if the light is just right and there's rain on the shield, sometimes it can be a slight problem but not serious enough to spend much money to correct.

Assuming that you can buy a 2010 for considerably less money than a 2011 0r 2012, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I expect to be riding my 2010 for quite some time.

Cotton
    Thanks to all the helpful people here, I'm looking at a 2010 now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    How exactly do you bump the shock to position 4? I was looking at the shocks and it looks like it takes a special tool. Does the RT come with the tool? There also seems to be a possible 5th position. is that right?

thanks.
    The tool is in your toolkit, under the seat. I suggest jacking up the Spyder to relieve the load on the front suspension, and spraying the spring adjusters with WD-40 to make things easier.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The tool is in your toolkit, under the seat. I suggest jacking up the Spyder to relieve the load on the front suspension, and spraying the spring adjusters with WD-40 to make things easier.
    Thank. I'll have to do that, if things go as planned and I'm a new Spyder owner.