Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    chickridin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    None of you have owned a BMW K-bike. The Spyder is Honda cheap, by comparison. My last K12 had an electrically actuated hydraulic center stand that was replaced twice -at $1195 each, plus $500 in labor… Annual oil changes and check-up were in the $1,000+ range, and the tupperware was harder to remove…. but the bike was a dream to ride - loaded up and two up, it could carve corners with the sport bikes…. bottom line is, that youse gets whats youse pays for….
    After hearing this.....I'm even happier to own a Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Who the heck said FREE....... What i said is I was tired of dealers using the excuse that they have to remove the panels, thats why they charge so much. Its a quick job and does not take long. Take the 50.00 you worked up off a 240 dollar oil change and its still 190.00. Panels off a Hayabusa and oil change 42.00, Panels off an R1 Yamaha and oil change 51.00

Average miles ridden in a year = 12000
    Thats 1 valve adjustment at 1200
    4 oil changes at 240.00
    2160.00 in scheduled maintenance for 1 year, not including air filter, bearings, etc that BRP requires.

Are the Spyders fun? Heck yes, but they arent cheap, by any means
    I'm not arguing with you Dave, I agree for the most part. They will never compare favorably to the Japanese bikes, although they do compare much more closely to the BMW, Ducati, and Guzzi maintenance costs...especially when you add in tires. I would love to see the valves be more accessible...nothing beats my BMW R-bike for that. I would love to see less frequent oil changes, and maybe less oil volume to pay for...I put less oil in my Beemers, less often. The design is what it is, however, and the reasons for the added costs, whether justifiable in an owner's eyes or not, are pretty well fixed for the reasons I have mentioned. A prospective owner needs to consider the total costs of ownership, and not be completely focused on the look or the safety features alone. He or she should compare those to similar touring or sport touring machines, however. This is no Model A Ford, and it takes a bit more to to keep it ticking.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'm not arguing with you Dave, I agree for the most part. They will never compare favorably to the Japanese bikes, although they do compare much more closely to the BMW, Ducati, and Guzzi maintenance costs...especially when you add in tires. I would love to see the valves be more accessible...nothing beats my BMW R-bike for that. I would love to see less frequent oil changes, and maybe less oil volume to pay for...I put less oil in my Beemers, less often. The design is what it is, however, and the reasons for the added costs, whether justifiable in an owner's eyes or not, are pretty well fixed for the reasons I have mentioned. A prospective owner needs to consider the total costs of ownership, and not be completely focused on the look or the safety features alone. He or she should compare those to similar touring or sport touring machines, however. This is no Model A Ford, and it takes a bit more to to keep it ticking.
    Would love to have a model A though. I'm just hoping all potential buyers dont get blindsided like i and others did with regards to maint costs. This site is doing great at informing buyers that take the time to do research. Your posts have been a great help with many people on here. i have a friend, on limited retirement that changed her mind, due to the maint. If they take the 12k valve adj off the plan, as i and many others have been told would happen in Chicago and again in Daytona, that would be a great selling point. Keep up the posts.......

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2160.00 in scheduled maintenance for 1 year, not including air filter, bearings, etc that BRP requires.
    Or, free Spyder upgrade @ every 1,2K.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dealer used to offer prepaid maintenance but the guy that posted just before this one ended that. I cant imagine how that could have happened.

Spyder Garage

The maintainence of the is definately more expensive than most motorcycles. Most of us bought the because it was unique from most motorcycles and did not even give a thught about maintainence costs or poor mileage. I am smarter now, but still do not want to give up the .

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's just part of the cost of being different...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

zrc

All you people follow the rules to well

I see the "suggested" maintenance chart in the manual, but thats just how I see it. Also, you assume some level of miles ridden. Add that in with paying a dealership for their parts / stuff can get Xpensive.

Do like I do, call the dealer, ask you if you can do parts of it, and what the cost for other parts of the maintenance would be, ask if you can bring the items that will be changed out. You will be surprised at how this effects your pricing.

My 12k service cost me 282 bucks, plus 6 quarts of oil at 9.69 each (and some tax) and a set of filters from Bajaron (and throw in some spark plugs + new wires) around 100 bucks. So just 450ish (total) for the 12k, and new plugs, plug wires.

Spyder Garage

We pre-paid for our service plan through our dealership when we bought our 2011 RS-S and saved some money off the cost of each service. It includes our 600, 3000, 6000, 9000, 1200 services. It allowed us to reduce the maintenance cost on our Spyder but I understand that some can't afford to pay for a service plan up front. It was something we used as a negotiating tool for money off our purchase of the Spyder as well -- saying if they took off money on the Spyder we'd buy a service plan so they'd get our business for maintenance. Which in our area we have 3 dealerships local who culd do our maintenance and the dealer knew it. Worked out in the long run for us.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will say that if you do your own oil and filter changes the cost is a lot more reasonable. By doing my own oil and filter change my 600 mile service was only $95.00. It took me a couple of hours to do my 1st oil change but it was not that bad. it is just learning what to take off and how. take your time and it isn't too bad.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is timely since I am considering the spyder along with sport tourers. I always consider the upfront price and the maintanence prices for anything I buy (Fool me once...). Good thing I change my own oil, adjust valves, change belts, and whatever else is even remotely possible to do.

What are the charges like for the updates or to have it checked on BUDS?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Hi all,

just did several seaches to determine if the expected service costs on the spyder is higher than other bikes, but didn't really come up with anything but prices for the most part. Having no recent experience with motorcycles, I can't determine, if the costs are fairly standard across bike platfems, or if the Spyder is higher. Can those of you wih years of two wheel experience tell me what I could expect in that regard with Spyder ownership?
    Hey Midlife! First..... let me say I'm a newbie too, and have been lurking and reading for a few weeks now. That said, I too am interested in estimated dealer performed NORMAL service costs anually.

If 'Dave01' hits it close with these numbers:

"Average miles ridden in a year = 12000
    Thats 1 valve adjustment at 1200
    4 oil changes at 240.00
    2160.00 in scheduled maintenance for 1 year, not including air filter, bearings, etc that BRP requires."

Asumming his numbers are close enough for government work and 12,000 miles is ones anticipated anual usage - and you add anual fuel cost (say roughly 4 bucks a gal 12000 mi (avg 27 mpg), plus insurance (say $500 (+ - anual), and registration (differs state to state so won't estimate). Overall operating cost come out somewhere around .40c a mile - plus any money spent on candy. (Just a rough gestimate mind you).

Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Default Extended Warranty

[QUOTE=chickridin;442032]If you have an extended warranty, and the repairs fall under that warranty, you should not be paying anything, let alone labor. The only thing you might have to pay is a deductable if it applies.

You, of course, are correct. What I really should say is, in my case, with this maintenance agreement, after 3 years (and maybe less based on 6 oil changes and 6 inspections) my out of pocket mx costs will naturally go from zero to what ever it takes for normal things. I've got to put my son, 2 sons-in law and 4 grandsons on notice that I expect a lot of help in a couple years, so read up.

Tuck

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My dealer used to offer prepaid maintenance but the guy that posted just before this one ended that. I cant imagine how that could have happened.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's just part of the cost of being different...
    Agree.

chickridin

Smile

[QUOTE=TuckMiddle;442371]
    Quote Originally Posted by chickridin View Post
    If you have an extended warranty, and the repairs fall under that warranty, you should not be paying anything, let alone labor. The only thing you might have to pay is a deductable if it applies.

You, of course, are correct. What I really should say is, in my case, with this maintenance agreement, after 3 years (and maybe less based on 6 oil changes and 6 inspections) my out of pocket mx costs will naturally go from zero to what ever it takes for normal things. I've got to put my son, 2 sons-in law and 4 grandsons on notice that I expect a lot of help in a couple years, so read up.

Tuck
    Ahhh....now that makes sense. I'm jealous.....I wish I had a crew to train!

Spyder Garage

My maintenance costs equal the parts total and I do the labor as I have all the time in the world to do it.
    Dealer had it in the shop for a month early on to check computer things and its been in for bulletins and the DPS and ALL that cost nothing.
    If your retired Getting to know the Spyder can save a LOT of $$$.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I had to take off the front tupperware the other day to put on some of the lights on my wife's RT and will never gripe about $$ of maintenance again!! what a pain in the,must be 20 pins and about 6 screws,most of the pins are in the tunnels and hard to reach. I don't know how often they have to pull off the front but I never want to again!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    I had to take off the front tupperware the other day to put on some of the lights on my wife's RT and will never gripe about $$ of maintenance again!! what a pain in the,must be 20 pins and about 6 screws,most of the pins are in the tunnels and hard to reach. I don't know how often they have to pull off the front but I never want to again!
    Note to self, Do not attempt to pull off front Tupperware.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

The maintenance fees charged by dealers are absurd! I guess they have to cover the cost of all the watercrafts and T Rex that they have in the showroom that aren't selling.

I learned how to do my own oil changes(invest in a cordless drill).. Last week I had to replace the rear tire. The brp dealer wanted $134 for the tire and $250 to mount/install

Talked the dealer down to $121 for the tire took to a custom bike mechanic and had it installed for $60 and it was all done in less than and hour.. That saved me $200+... The best part was having all the custom HD and chopper riders asking questions as well as the mechanic coming up with ideas to trick her out.
    BIOSAB

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The maintenance cost can be high and the frequency sometimes seem excessive but I am learning to do much of the maintenance myself. This has actually added to my enjoyment of the Spyder. My plan is to do the 3, 6 and 9k maintenance my self and letting the dealer do the 12k less the oil change and front end lub which I will do. I will also only take it to a dealer who has a BRP trained mechanic. I now have about 31,000 happy miles on my RT.

Spyder Garage

Default 600 mile svc

Just had my 600 mile svc and it was 149.99.
    $64.40 hr labor at my dealer, same as all of there bikes they sale and very informatent staff.
    Is that comparable with other dealers?
    mtbear

Spyder Garage

Never mind I heard about prices already lol.
    mtbear

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtbear View Post
    Just had my 600 mile svc and it was 149.99.
    $64.40 hr labor at my dealer, same as all of there bikes they sale and very informatent staff.
    Is that comparable with other dealers?
    mtbear
    just called my local dealer and they said $340! Definitely need to find someone mkre reasonable, but almost all of our bike shops are owned by the same rip off artist