Spyder Garage

Default Drive System Maintenance Question

Looking at the RT's drive system maintenance schedule they call for inspecting the rear sprocket bearing and rear axle bearings at 12,000 mi. They also call for replacing the bearing seals , o-rings, and wear sleeves (which I can't find listed on any diagram). I had my rear tire changed last month (10,000 mi.) at a FL dealer and asked them to check the bearing while they had the wheel off. They said the bearings were fine but didn't say anything about replacing any seals, o-rings, or wear sleeves (or charge for any parts). Since they only charged me 1/2 hr labor for the tire change I'm wondering if they even checked the bearings.

Question I have is at 12,000 mi. should I have my regular dealer back home in VA pull the rear wheel, check the bearings, and replace the seals, o-rings, wear sleeves? Can the bearings be checked without replacing seals, O-rings, etc.? Do the front wheel bearings need to be checked at the same time? I'm not real comfortable with bearing maintenance but I plan to do the other 12,000 mi items myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Spyder Garage

I just changed the rear wheel on my 09 GS 17,800 miles this week (Brought wheel to dealer to change Tire).
    My Bearings were fine and I Didn,t have to replace either seal, O Ring or bearings even though I have ALL in a box ready to replace as soon as I hear any sign of them starting to go.
    The Sprocket bearing says 30,000 Miles in the manual for my GS.
    Now that I have removed and installed the rear wheel ONCE I can change the bearings when needed on a Liesurely afternoon.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!