Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions before I take the '11 to the shop?

I'll be running by the local dealer tomorrow to show them a few issues we have and make an appointment. This is on our 2011 RT.

• windshield rattling, loose.
    • left saddlebag hard to open.
    • rear air suspension slow leak.
    • brakes squeal.
    • gas gauge all over the place.

I don't have a list of TSB's or common issues. I'm reading here about an issue with the throttle body. What other common issues should I make sure they look at?

Spyder Garage

When my spyder was in for scheduled maintenance this past Thursday, I asked about the fuel guage. I was told there was no fix about it from BRP, so I live with it. I set my trip meter and decide when to fuel up from that. On occassion my windshield will rattle but it depends on the road condition.

Other then those I really have not had a problem with my ryde. I guess I could be one of the lucky ones.

Really like my Spyder, shame I will miss Spyderfest this year, but we are scheduled to visit the house of the mouse the first week in May. We are what some would call Disneyholics so it was a hands down decision on where we will go with our first vacation of the year

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Slightly off topic.............but maybe not?

My understanding of the "Budds" system that BRP uses for diagnostics and what not is as follows. The dealer updates the "Budds" unit regularly and in doing so all of the warranty campaigns and software updates are automatically loaded into the diagnostic unit. Then once the dealer hooks the system onto the Spyder it automatically performs software updates and advises all the "alterations" that may be neccessary on an affected model?

What I am trying to say is if the dealer updates and downloads their diagnostic unit (Budds) they will know all outstanding issues on a model of Spyder that there are? Does the owner really need to keep track of the TSB at this rate as long as the dealer updates? Of course if you don't take your Spyder in then yes you will need to keep track and take it in for the updates? And of course rattling windsheilds and difficult to open side bags are totally different?

Curious and wondering..................
    2011 RTS SM5

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    I'll be running by the local dealer tomorrow to show them a few issues we have and make an appointment. This is on our 2011 RT.

• windshield rattling, loose.
    • left saddlebag hard to open.
    • rear air suspension slow leak.
    • brakes squeal.
    • gas gauge all over the place.

I don't have a list of TSB's or common issues. I'm reading here about an issue with the throttle body. What other common issues should I make sure they look at?
    to address some of your issues
    1. windsheild can be fixed by requesting that they get the hardware they are now using on the 2012 models instead of pin they they went to barrel screw no movement at all after install they had to contact brp for those. had to be pulled from production.
    2. gas gauge, well you can have them replace it free of charge been a long recall on this or just disconnect the gas and water temp gauge must do both then it will appear on the computer.
    3. air suspension, could be the airbag is defective have them check it out.i have read some threads here in s.l. about this.
    sorry can't help you on the rest just have them check it out i.e. show them the problem don't just tell them better that you show and tell then just tell.
    and best of luck to you.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Windshield - Some rattle worse than others. The 2012 hardware is supposed to help.
    Saddlebag - Most need to be nudged to open because they weatherstip pushes the lid against the latch. Adjustment may or may not help, but most get better over time.
    Suspension - Check for a leak at the valve core of the Schrader valve under the seat. Many leaks are just loose valve cores.
    Brakes - Break them in properly, then use them good and hard from a speed of 45-50 repeatedly, once in a while. They often become glazed and hard use helps break the glaze. They also need to be kept clean.
    Gas Gauge - Yep, even if they replace it, it may start bouncing again after a while. Most of us learn to ignore it and use the trip meter.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'd think the tech would have to do a little research by entering the VIN into BRP's database, to confirm what software upgrades, recalls and TSB's have been performed. I'm still trying to get all the info I can before going there. This will be the first time going to the dealer with any warrantee issues and I'd like to get everything done in one trip. Past experience with other vehicles tells me that often if a symptom is not complained about, there's no reason for the dealer to do a TSB repair.

I've checked the Schrader valve for a slow leak at the core. Nothing found. Pump it up to 50# on Monday and by Friday it's at 30#. It pretty much STAYS at 30 once it weeps down that low.

Windshield can be moved side to side about an inch at the top. Not an annoying rattle.. seems waaay loose. I'll ask about the '12 hardware 'fix'.

Saddlebags opened fine from day one. One bag seems to need a little extra effort to get it to pop loose, now. I figure an adjustment of the latch or replacement of the arm that extends out to open the bag. No BFD but one of those things that will get fixed.

With 2 gallons remaining in the fuel tank, the gauge will swing from e to 1/4 as the fuel splashes. Yes, it's only an annoyance and I've recommended to the spousal unit to rely on the trip meter. I figured there'd possibly be an update to dampen the sending unit's signal, like pretty much any other vehicle has.

Looks like from reading more and more on this forum.. I need to ask them to check the belt tension as that appears to have been revised by BRP.
    Last edited by millers1; 05-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    .....I've checked the Schroeder valve for a slow leak at the core. Nothing found. Pump it up to 50# on Monday and by Friday it's at 30#. It pretty much STAYS at 30 once it weeps down that low......
    Which model Spyder do you have? With the RTS or LTD the auto suspension system will adjust the air pressure to maintain the selected ride height, so any set air pressure level can soon be lost. I assume you have one of the manual versions. A system that leaks when high but levels off usually indicates a leak in the air bag. That one could be tricky to find if your dealer doesn't experience the problem for themselves. Expect a stay for a few days or more at the dealer if this is the case.

You are correct in that some TSBs apply only if you are experiencing specific problems. Others apply to a certain range of serial numbers, like the new throttle body update. When your machine is connected to BUDS or your VIN# is entered in the dealer's computer, the necessary bulletins should show and will be performed. It won't hurt to ask the service advisor to check up front. Your machine probably had some of this stuff performed on it before it was delivered, but new ones are issued periodically. BTW, make sure they are aware of the newest version of BUDS, just released, and have it loaded on their system before your service work. Many are not aware of it yet.

It doesn't hurt at all to bring some of these nagging issues to your dealer's attention. Some may be repairable and some not. I would certainly complain about the fuel gauge. Most bounce a lot at the top eventually, but are more stable at the bottom, where it counts most. Yours is unreliable from the sounds of it, and could use to be replaced.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RTS that wouldn't adjust the rear suspension while riding as it is supposed to. Wouldn't hold air. After several tries at solving the issue, BRP replaced the compressor. Works fine now. Only problem we've had.

2014 Cognac RTS-SE6 & RT 622
    1993 Teal Gold Wing SE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I expect the slow leak to be difficult to find. Yes, it's the manual fill type. Kinda hoping if nothing's found their protocol would be replace the bag and tubing kit.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

Had the brakes the replaced in March for the "skreeching". It didn't fix it so what is recommended for me to clean them. When backing up the brakes really squeal. The brakes will quiet down when going forward after slamming the brakes on several times. Its just annoying.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just an update... new rear air bladder, ECM updates, a few tech bulletins taken care of. Fuel gauge is "nature of the beast" and no more unstable than others. They adjusted the saddlebag so it'll open properly. Brakes are the latest compound / part number so it's just something to get used to. They also got us the '12 windshield hardware. No more rattle or slop in the windshield. Can Am dealers are pretty much spread out in this region so I'm hoping Ridersville Cycle stays 'top notch' in their service dept.
    Last edited by millers1; 05-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas guage

My original gas gauge looked like a windshield wiper........flipping all over the place.
    That one was replaced (free) and the second one didn't move at all.....just hung about 1/4-3/8" above the full marker.
    Dealership finally replaced the entire gauge cluster panel (warranty)......so far so good.