Thread: Shock Saga

Spyder Garage

Default Shock Saga

Bought Elka front shocks and had them installed at a local shop not a can am dealer. Took Spyder to dealer for service contract, found front shocks were installed upside down so dealer corrected installation and other shop returned the fee for the first installation. I asked dealer to be sure to adjust headlight aim as ELKA'S sit higher. The dealer forgot. I had to take it back. $60.00 later the headlights were 3 feet higher than the standard so they were adjusted. Now I find the rear adjusting air shock does not adjust so once again I return to the dealer with $120 an hour labor charge. UGH! I love my , I just want it fixed correctly without anymore returns for service.

Spyder Garage

How crazy... I believe you're the *second* person in recent weeks to report that a dealer installed their Elka shocks upside down. How the heck does that happen?!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    How crazy... I believe you're the *second* person in recent weeks to report that a dealer installed their Elka shocks upside down. How the heck does that happen?!
    As much as I love my Elkas, the instructions are poor (for the average DYI person). But still for a DEALER to do that is inexcusable!

Spyder Garage

When the shocks are on the bike you should not have to turn the bike over to read the "Elka" logo right side up.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    The Elka's configuration is the opposite of the OEM shocks, so they have to be installed with the spring on the bottom instead of the top. Easy for a tech that had never seen them before to make this mistake.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I hate to sound stupid.
    Well, actually I must enjoy it because I do it often enough but:
    I'm curious, why do the shocks have a "this side up" orientation. The spring doesn't care which side is up and as long as there is enough clearance, what is the difference ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I hate to sound stupid.
    Well, actually I must enjoy it because I do it often enough but:
    I'm curious, why do the shocks have a "this side up" orientation. The spring doesn't care which side is up and as long as there is enough clearance, what is the difference ?
    The spring doesn't care, but the hydraulics do. The Elkas were designed differently.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!