Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Bob,

I got your PM yesterday.

I want to thank you for opening up an old wound. Long story short. There was a human error at the factory when assembling my Spyder that could have had dire consequences. To get it corrected it cost the $50 per incidence under the BEST warranty. I just sent a letter to Carlo or his partner, if Carlo is not back yet requesting a reimbursement since it was not a part failure.

If interested, I'll shoot you a PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I really have given a TON of thought to taking that course of action...
    I decided against not notifying them only because this is a safety issue (At least it is to me...) They need to know so that procedures in their shop can be monitored so as not to let something like this happen again...

Normally I'm about the most non-confrontational guy you'd ever meet...
    110%.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PM me brother!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I really have given a TON of thought to taking that course of action...
    I decided against not notifying them only because this is a safety issue (At least it is to me...) They need to know so that procedures in their shop can be monitored so as not to let something like this happen again...

Normally I'm about the most non-confrontational guy you'd ever meet...
    I would notify them, perhaps in a letter or an email. I might even write a letter to the BBB, but I wouldn't rub anybody's nose in it. In the end, they won't give a good gosh darn anyway. Recently the local Ford dealer had to replace the air conditioning compressor in my truck. In the process they removed the steering idler arm. They stuck it back in place, but merely inserted the bolts, leaving them backed off an full inch! If they had not said that I needed brake pads (I did not!) I would never have found it. It could certainly have killed me in short order. When I took the photos to the service department manager, he was apologetic, but initially took no action, nor did he offer to repair it or provide a refund. I had to ask him if he was going to even notify the mechanic. A shoulder shrug was not a good answer. If a shop doesn't care enough to be careful about their work, they are unlikely to change. Notify them why you are going elsewhere from now on...then do so. That's what I did, as inconvenient as it may be.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I would notify them, perhaps in a letter or an email. I might even write a letter to the BBB, but I wouldn't rub anybody's nose in it. In the end, they won't give a good gosh darn anyway.
    I'm not so sure about that. I contacted the owner of my current dealership (through e-mail) regarding the service mgr. In 15 minutes the service mgr. contacted me back and ask that I call. I called and she apologized and has been very pleasant to me since the incident.

Spyder Garage

Bob,

PM sent.

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents.................for sure notify them. Then see how they absorb your concern and what they offer to do about it. They have to know there mechanics mistake and they have to talk to the mechanic to ensure he pays greater attention to the "details" when he completes his work. Also I would like to hear them say that they have introduced some sort of post repair inspection process to ensure a higher compliance to quality service. Even if they say they will be reviewing this mechanics each and every repair for the next 6 months to ensure higher quality this is something.

Sadly, flat out mistakes happen in life. Most of us sadly have made mistakes in our professional careers and we have all had to ensure it will not happen again. I assure you for the most part a quality technician does not start out the day thinking "what can I forget today that may kill someone"? This is a professional development tool that the shop manager needs to be aware of so that he can work with his mechanic to ensure he minimizes the chance of it ever happening again.

If you get the right answers and if you are satisfied with their actions, this may be the safest place for you to ever have your Spyder worked on again? This can act as real wake up call as fortunately through your knowledge of your bike you were able to know something was wrong and no one was injured.

Lastly if you come away feeling the dealer did not respond appropriately then by all means "let the dogs of war" wreak havoc to ensure public safety.
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buttsy,
    I think that you must have been reading my feeble mind... That is exactly how I'm going to be proceeding. I'll be gauging their responses to this issue and then taking what I feel is the appropriate action.

Mistakes DO happen in life: I've certainly been responsible for more than my fair share of them... But I try to own up to them and then learn from them so as to become a "repeat offender".

Spyder Garage

Buttsy,
    I think that you must have been reading my feeble mind... That is exactly how I'm going to be proceeding. I'll be gauging their responses to this issue and then taking what I feel is the appropriate action.

Mistakes DO happen in life: I've certainly been responsible for more than my fair share of them... But I try to own up to them and then learn from them so as to become a "repeat offender".
    I am a "Field Service Manager" by trade also known as "Live Target" so I am slanted in the way I look at things. Thumbs up to you for giving the repair facility the opportunity to behave responsibily first, drives me crazy when a customer doesn't give me an opportunity to treat them right. Lot's of repair facilities do awesome work and know how to treat a customer. This doesn't mean they are immune to mistakes or a difficult diagnosis that can drive them crazy as well. In today's computer world how many times do you encounter an intermittent problem, trust me it is difficult to repair something you can not make happen. Used to be the manufacturers would allow the repair facilities to just replace under warranty the "suspected" part but not anymore.

To all out there, give the repair facility a chance to make it right before pushing the "launch" key. I know I would appreciate it for sure!
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    To all out there, give the repair facility a chance to make it right before pushing the "launch" key. I know I would appreciate it for sure!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I'd forget the battle. There is nothing to gain. Let the other dealer repair your Spyder properly (and hopefully more quickly) and never darken the doors of the first one again. JMHO
    I have to ask....Why forget the battle. It is a pure case of a dealership not repairing the vehicle properly and letting it leave in an unsafe condition. Forget it and maybe it will happen to another owner. Nothing to gain? How about the peace of mind that you may have prevented something like this from happening to another. I would be burning them down on all websites and at the dealership when potential customers come in. I have had issues like this when on 2 wheels where the axle pin was not inserted and the rear axle backed off, causing the chain to lodge against the sprocket and locking up the rear wheel. Maybe that is why I am so passionate about it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Didnt they have the chance to repair it rught the first time? I agree that things can be overlooked, but a simple after-repair ride would have shown the person doing the ride that something was not right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I have to ask....Why forget the battle. It is a pure case of a dealership not repairing the vehicle properly and letting it leave in an unsafe condition. Forget it and maybe it will happen to another owner. Nothing to gain? How about the peace of mind that you may have prevented something like this from happening to another. I would be burning them down on all websites and at the dealership when potential customers come in. I have had issues like this when on 2 wheels where the axle pin was not inserted and the rear axle backed off, causing the chain to lodge against the sprocket and locking up the rear wheel. Maybe that is why I am so passionate about it.
    I have never seen a campaign like this be successful with a dealer that doesn't care. They seldom change, no matter what they promise...and Bob's dealer has already shown an immense capacity for lack of response, flimsy excuses, and broken promises. By all means they could be approached, and if the stars are aligned they may even respond favorably, but to enter into a battle would be fruitless. I wouldn't want that dealer to repair my vehicle after a major goof like that, so there is no sense in getting an ulcer over a battle whose victory is strictly symbolic. Far better to spread the word to chase others away than to stand at their door and chance being hurt or arrested, IMO.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You are very soft spoken about the whole situation. I would not be able to do that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry Bob to see this. Makes my neck get red
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Personally, I'd forget the battle. There is nothing to gain. Let the other dealer repair your Spyder properly (and hopefully more quickly) and never darken the doors of the first one again. JMHO
    Two different opinions: one has to choose between SURVIVAL and JUST STATISTIC.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I have never seen a campaign like this be successful with a dealer that doesn't care. They seldom change, no matter what they promise...and Bob's dealer has already shown an immense capacity for lack of response, flimsy excuses, and broken promises. By all means they could be approached, and if the stars are aligned they may even respond favorably, but to enter into a battle would be fruitless. I wouldn't want that dealer to repair my vehicle after a major goof like that, so there is no sense in getting an ulcer over a battle whose victory is strictly symbolic. Far better to spread the word to chase others away than to stand at their door and chance being hurt or arrested, IMO.

'09 SM5, Hindle pipe, K&N, sport rack, backrest, Givi shield EVO swaybar, Symtec grip heaters, Spyderpops belt guard....some other stuff.

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it,
    Be afraid of the one saying 'To Whom it May Concern'!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want to give them a chance to respond to the situation; you guys will definitely be the first to know how everything transpires...
    BTW... The Bike is going to a different shop for the repairs and I'm going to STRONGLY suggest that the original shop foots the bill for it. I don't know how it's all going to play out, but I'll be firm, yet tactful...
    "Tact is the art of telling somebody to go to Hell, and having them look forward to the trip."

Spyder Garage

Bob,

I only dealt with the owner once at the place in question. My first impression was that he was an alright guy. I hope he foots the bill or at least part of it. If he doesn't, I'll wear a protest sign on the May 6 ride.

By the way, if Carlo or his partner gives me some satisfaction, I'll give you a buck 299 since you instigated me. Oh, I forgot, that buck 299 is going to come out of the $10 that Randy is going to owe me. Do you hear me Randy?
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-16-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I am feeling a bit better...
    The owner of the shop called me a little while ago: absolutely Horrified that the bike got our of his shop in that condition. He was very apologetic and of course wanted me to bring it back to him for the repairs; but he did understand why I had contacted another shop for that chore.
    So there was no yelling, cursing, crying, tantrums or threats and the phone call was... friendly! He said he'll do anything necessary to make this right and I believe him.
    So far...so good!

Spyder Garage

I guess I'll be riding in his May 6 get-together without the protest sign.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate the offer Wylie! And I'm VERY glad that the sign won't be necessary...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I am feeling a bit better...
    The owner of the shop called me a little while ago: absolutely Horrified that the bike got our of his shop in that condition. He was very apologetic and of course wanted me to bring it back to him for the repairs; but he did understand why I had contacted another shop for that chore.
    So there was no yelling, cursing, crying, tantrums or threats and the phone call was... friendly! He said he'll do anything necessary to make this right and I believe him.
    So far...so good!
    Wow, great news for you. Glad to hear he stepped up and I hope he follows thru with his repair department. He should have offered right away to come and get the Spyder due to the nature of the issues. I have the OCCUPY signs made, but will hold off since I dont know what shop you used. LOL

arntufun

So......... what is this the third or fourth time this person has apologized to you over various issues ??? How many times are you going to feed into this ????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like good news. I hope he follows through and foots the bill for his shop's errors.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622