Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Something May Be Coming Down the Spyder Pike!

Too late for Spyderfest but should be in time for Durango.... I'm looking into something that may SWAY your RS and raise the BAR just a bit.

I'll keep you posted!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RAISING THE "BAR"

Hey Ron, if R/S 'S are gonna come equipped with a "bar" then make mine a double so.comfort/rocks please.... Mike.......and I sent you a PM about if you sold rain suits, and rubber boots I need that info ASAP spyderfest is around the corner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Please pass the bacon grease...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Is it the sway bar someone listed last week from Australia?
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Too late for Spyderfest but should be in time for Durango.... I'm looking into something that may SWAY your RS and raise the BAR just a bit.

I'll keep you posted!

This is fantastic news !!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    This is fantastic news !!!!
    What news?? I gettin tired of

Spyder Garage

I think he's just talking about SWAYING after leaving a BAR.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I believe I resemble that remark.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Is it the sway bar someone listed last week from Australia?
    You're half right... the good half!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hey Ron, if R/S 'S are gonna come equipped with a "bar" then make mine a double so.comfort/rocks please.... Mike.......and I sent you a PM about if you sold rain suits, and rubber boots I need that info ASAP spyderfest is around the corner.
    Sorry, can't help you there. Sounds like a whole 'nother project.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Actually, I think it is everything else that sways when you're in this condition.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    What news?? I gettin tired of
    I should have something in my hand after Spyderfest....And you won't need to pay shipping from Australia!

Spyder Garage

FYI... the 15mm sway bar shipped to America is 310.00...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee67 View Post
    FYI... the 15mm sway bar shipped to America is 310.00...
    Has anyone tried the 15mm bar?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JTF View Post
    Yes I have, we just did a trip around the Snowy Mountains in NSW (Gundagai to Braidwood via Khancoban and Jindabyne)
    The bar makes my 2010 RSs a lot more stable on the soft setting, I had the 14mm & it was ok around town, but the 15 is a lot better on the Highways, And there is a new bar available soon for the RT's
    I like the names of those places.

I may have missed your first post; so, welcome aboard!

Spyder Garage

Yes I have, we just did a trip around the Snowy Mountains in NSW (Gundagai to Braidwood via Khancoban and Jindabyne)
    The bar makes my 2010 RSs a lot more stable on the soft setting, I had the 14mm & it was ok around town, but the 15 is a lot better on the Highways, And there is a new bar available soon for the RT's
    Were you running the 14mm bar at the stiff setting? I'm running the Evoluzione 14.3mm bar at the stiff setting and I'm not sure I'd want any more.

You can get too much of a good thing. A too stiff sway bar can cause more issues than it solves when you reach the limits of traction and centrifugal force.

arntufun

Just an observation Ron, but are you looking to build the 02 mod as well ??? This is just a rumor I'm starting because your looking to purchase one in the for sale section.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Just an observation Ron, but are you looking to build the 02 mod as well ??? This is just a rumor I'm starting because your looking to purchase one in the for sale section.
    Why is the 02 mod so popular now after they are not made anymore. I have one in my RS and when I get around to it I will be taking it out and going back to stock, sure I love the extra torque it gives with the Hindle but at the same time I lost almost half of my fuel economy and sometime on hard acceleration it spits fire out the exhaust in the process and that can't be good and to me it's not worth he extra pep it gives having to fill up so often. I must be missing something here with the 02 mod or maybe I need something more to go along with it to get better mpg's.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Has anyone tried the 15mm bar?
    I have the new bar on my RT( one is being made for the RT) I had the EVO bar on before and I found the new bar a lot more firmer than the EVO the bike is more stable cornering and braking.
    I did the Kancoban Loop also which is 80Km of very twisty roads going up to the one of the highest mountain in Australia.
    I found the EVO bar did not make the same improvement on the RT as it did on my RS but the new Signature bar a lot better.
    My will reads "being of sound mind and body,
    I spent it, go make your own!"

VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER.

Spyder Garage

Yes I tried a 14mm bar that my husband had made here in Australia for me, and I tested it on both soft and hard, the Hard was fine around town, I weigh 65kg and stand 4'13" tall, but once I hit the highway the 14 (hubby asked did you take in to account the paint thickness? .3mm?) tends to want to drag me wide similar to the OEM bar but nowhere near as bad!
    The 15 is stable even towing our trailer, My hubby has been working together with the manufacturer to make sure the bar works effectively on the Spyder, my friend Lynn has a EvoBar on her 08 and she looks as comfortable as I feel, but she has had her spyder atleast a year longer than me!
    Another friend (and Lady Rider) is going test the 15 on her 2011 RSs next week!

1st take on the RT bar is good, but after talking to Wtwing, hubby has asked for some minor changes, so the RT bar is still coming and he hopes to release it by the end of April!

Julie

PS road speed limits in Australia 50-60kph around town
    80-100kph single lane highway (130kph in the Northern Territory)
    100-130kph multiple lane highway

In English 100kph = 62.5mph
    14.3 mm is the bar thickness before paint (or powdercoat in this case). What I would like to know are the characterists of the 15mm bar on the Spyder as it reaches the limits of traction and stability. It is possible to have too much of a good thing.

With the (we will call it the 14mm bar) this edge is reached in a manageable way. Everything begins to lose traction at the same time and by the same amount. You can feel it coming and loss of traction (control) is quite manageable. As a sway bar gets stiffer it will resist centrifugal force longer, giving you better cornering characterists and allowing you to go faster through turns. The problem comes as you reach the limits of the machine. If the bar is too stiff you will get less warning, things will happen more abruptly with more severe results.

What you're looking for is the best of both worlds. Improved resistance to centrifugal force with manageable edge characterists. Of course 'Manageable' depends on your skill level and other things like quality of shocks, road and tire conditions.

With the stock sway bar you lose control over the front end first (raising the inside tire) while the rear tire still has plenty of traction. Because this happens long before any traction issues are encountered it gives the novice rider plenty of warning and plenty of time to react (also, the Nanny kicks in sooner which also gives a greater degree of manageablity).

A stiffer sway bar converts that inside tire lift energy to increased front wheel traction. Both front tires stay in contact with the pavment longer, the center of gravity is kept lower, the Nanny is happier, stability is increased and your ability to go around curves is greatly enhanced. But you can only go so far with this. You do not want to reach the limits of the system suddenly. You want some early signs and enough wiggle room to make corrections.

Obviously, increased control is what you're looking for. But it is important that the sway bar give you this in all conditions. The 15mm bar may well be the way to go. But I would not want to sacrifice control at the edge for additional performance at lower speeds.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

JTF, is 4'13" tall. Is that the same as 5'1" tall?

Spyder Garage

.....You do not want the front end traction to exceed rear wheel traction. It is much better for the front to give way first rather than the rear. .....
    I have to argue with you on this one, Ron. "Loose" or oversteer, is usually more controllable than "tight" or understeer as far as I am concerned. Maybe that's because losing rear end traction is pretty natural for those of us that grew up in snow country with rear wheel drive vehicles? Or maybe it's just the "drifter" in me? In reality, the only real solution is balanced handling. That's what we need to strive for.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Steering

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have to argue with you on this one, Ron. "Loose" or oversteer, is usually more controllable than "tight" or understeer as far as I am concerned. Maybe that's because losing rear end traction is pretty natural for those of us that grew up in snow country with rear wheel drive vehicles? Or maybe it's just the "drifter" in me? In reality, the only real solution is balanced handling. That's what we need to strive for.
    with Scotty on this one. I would much prefer the rear to break loose rather than the front.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You are right, got my wires crossed on that one and I changed the post. What I was trying go get at was the stiffer the sway bar, the later and more severe the results when traction does fail.

I have ridden the current sway bar to and just beyond its limits so I am comfortable with what occurs when I get there. I am not saying a stiffer sway bar is not a good idea. But I am not sure how much stiffer you can go and still push it to the edge safely.

Thanks for pointing out my error Scotty!