Spyder Garage

Default BRP ST-1 Helmet vents, need owners to check

I own the ST-1 helmet. I have the summer vents and it is still hot. Well, I saw this picture vent-holes.jpg of the Givi X.01 which is the same helmet. I went home to check my holes to see if I was getting full venting and they are nothing like above. helmet vent.jpgIt is all plugged up and there are no holes in the foam when feeling from inside the helmet. Are all the BRP versions like this? Can owners of this helmet check theirs?

Spyder Garage

Mine is the same as yours. I just assumed is was that way do to U.S. DOT regs.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 04-11-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Mine is the same as yours as well...

Spyder Garage

What is the purpose of the vents then, lol. There is absolutely no venting through those little holes. Feel the inside of the liner, there is no vent holes period. Plus push on those "holes" in there and the black part is solid as well. Matter of fact, here is a pic of the inside. inside helmet.jpg

Really? Really????

Spyder Garage

Maybe we should pull down the liner and drill some holes in the foam to match those in the shell?
    Last edited by stevedfive; 04-11-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how much it would help, those holes are pretty small. Although, very little air vs no air would probably be better. I am temped to drill a big hole in the indention. It would be covered by the "summer vent" so you would never see it. Just not sure how much you would be compromising the helmet by doing either. I think I am just going to get a new helmet. Wish I would have known that before I ordered it.

Spyder Garage

This is good to know. If I were to ever buy one, I'd probably just order one from Europe and get the vents.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I was looking to buying a new helmet anyway...really like the new Shark Evoline 2 ST....

I would also be concerned about compromising the helmet with any changes...

Spyder Garage

We love the helmets and own both jaw pieces. We have had them since Aug 10. They are very comfortable and light weight. I think I will just drill the holes in the foam to match the shell.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    This is good to know. If I were to ever buy one, I'd probably just order one from Europe and get the vents.
    Don't get stopped in a helmet state with a helmet that is not labeled DOT. It could cost you plenty!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I drilled the holes on top and it helped. Anyone know how to remove the side covers to access those holes? Thanks for pointing the issue out.

Spyder Garage

I can see on mine this afternoon. I think they just pop off, but if your worried about breaking it, I can do it this afternoon. If I break mine, who cares. I already got a new helmet (Scorpion EXO-1100).

Spyder Garage

Ha! You are the man, I mean the HAWK!

It would be better if they would have put channels in the foam, but better just the same.

Spyder Garage

My helmet has the same vent cover's and came with a winter cover as well. Changed but did not look for the vent holes. Guess I better do that. Bob

Spyder Garage

Steve,

I didn't get to it last night. But I did this morning before I walked out the door. They just pop off. Just put your fingers under the opening and pull out. There is a decent size hole under there (covered up by the Styrofoam of course). Good Luck!!

Spyder Garage

I tried on a ST-3 ($89) helmet at the dealer and while it fit decent the ventilation was terrible and the cushions were NOT removable?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Hawkman, I will drill them out later today.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't get stopped in a helmet state with a helmet that is not labeled DOT. It could cost you plenty!
    Ontario Canada : its the law here that helmets have a DOT or SNELL approval sticker ,if they don't and you are caught the fine is hefty.

Spyder Garage

Drilled the side vents. My buddy has a Shoei and it has the same size vent holes except there are channels in the foam. Thanks again for the info.

Spyder Garage

I went ahead and used a hole punch to push through gently. Then cleaned up by hand with drill bit. Then , had some thin aluminum tubing that I cut small pieces and inserted to create clear flow...

Spyder Garage

Ditch the aluminum tubing! In a crash you do not want those "bullets" to be driven into your head.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I was thinking that when I first came up with idea. Then was wondering if an impact would actually compact the helmet to create that condition..maybe swap out with air line tubing or something soft..

Thanks

have another idea...will post pic
    Last edited by Riker; 04-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Took a household drinking straw, cut it to size, then cut along the length allowing me to resize it .... BAZINGA !!

This should do the trick

Thanks for the R&D help Scotty ..

BTW ... Will sell the tubing kits for $50 ...
    Last edited by Riker; 04-22-2012 at 10:25 AM.