Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Roadster 2012-4 A Updated Throttle Body Actuator Protection B

This is just a heads up for all 2011-2012 RT owners. Your dealer should be contacting you but if you want to be proactive you can contact them and setup an appointment to have the 2012-4 done.

Roadster 2012-4 A Updated Throttle Body Actuator Protection B
    Middle Side Panel Grommet Replacement 2011 Models Only

All involved customers must be notified, all involved units must be corrected as per instructions herein

Product: Roadster
    Bulletin type: Warranty Campaign
    Bulletin no: 2012-4 (rbg2012-005 en AG)
    Revision no:
    Revision date:
    Campaign no.: 2011-0013
    2012-0004
    Publication date: April 4th, 2012
    Subject: A) Updated Throttle Body Actuator Protection
    B) Middle Side Panel Grommet Replacement (2011 Models Only)

YEAR MODEL MODEL NUMBER SERIAL NUMBER
    2011 Spyder™ RT All All
    2012 See attached list

PROBLEM
    Problem A
    In some conditions, the throttle body actuator could get damaged, which could lead to fault codes or limp home mode when trying to start the engine.
    IMPORTANT: For 2011 models, carry out this campaign even if campaign 2011-0008 was already performed on the vehicle.

Problem B
    One some 2011 vehicles, one of the middle side panels rubber grommets might fall off after multiple removal and installation of the panel.

SOLUTION
    Problem A
    Update ECM with revised software.

Just a little FYI on the ECM update.

The throttle body actuator protection portion of the bulletin is very important as updating the ECM software will greatly increase throttle body reliability. This bulletin applies to all 2011 and 2012 RT models. It does not apply to 2010 RT models. Under certain conditions, the ETA (electronic throttle actuator) could experience an over-current period which would overheat the electric motor and cause it to fail. This type of failure would result in the engine going into limp home mode at start up and trip any of these codes. P1614, P1610, P1611 or P1615. When this happens it is necessary to replace the entire throttle body. With this new software in place, the ETA cannot receive excessive current. Operation of the vehicle will not change in any way. There will still be the quiet humming as the throttle blades are held closed for 40 minutes after the engine is shut off. It will start and run exactly as it did previously.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont.

Chris

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update!
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Great timing, my Spyder is going into the Shop next Tuesday for its 1000 kms inspection.

Thanks Lamonster

[QUOTE=Lamonster;436381]This is just a heads up for all 2011-2012 RT owners. Your dealer should be contacting you but if you want to be proactive you can contact them and setup an appointment to have the 2012-4

Spyder Garage

got mine done two weeks ago as part of the "test"... all seems the same as you stated.

Spyder Garage

I have had mine done.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i just went into limp mode this afternooon good thing i wasnt even out of the garage when this happened called dealership told them what happen they said sounds like t.b. i'm going to bring this thread to there attention.

but heres what occured turned on bike fired it up oil pressure shot up to 53psi at 1750 rpms then after awile of just running the bike oil went to 35psi still to high but i did the ole start stop thing no good still in limp, chec engine mode rpms never came down below 1700 and occasionally would jump to 2000 then the engine would die now i can't even keep the engine running just wondering how i'm going to get on the trailer tommorow. is this a typicaly t.b. prob ev1 i've been reading all these threads and was knocking on wood don't let this happen to me and only 2wks from spyderfest too any feed back on this so when i take it in i can show them this want my spyder back on the road not a trailer. thats right going to say prayers for my black widow..

hope this bulliten will fix my bike on the spot

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    i just went into limp mode this afternooon good thing i wasnt even out of the garage when this happened called dealership told them what happen they said sounds like t.b. i'm going to bring this thread to there attention.

but heres what occured turned on bike fired it up oil pressure shot up to 53psi at 1750 rpms then after awile of just running the bike oil went to 35psi still to high but i did the ole start stop thing no good still in limp, chec engine mode rpms never came down below 1700 and occasionally would jump to 2000 then the engine would die now i can't even keep the engine running just wondering how i'm going to get on the trailer tommorow. is this a typicaly t.b. prob ev1 i've been reading all these threads and was knocking on wood don't let this happen to me and only 2wks from spyderfest too any feed back on this so when i take it in i can show them this want my spyder back on the road not a trailer. thats right going to say prayers for my black widow..

hope this bulliten will fix my bike on the spot
    The good news is that those symptoms are consistent with throttle body issues. The bad news is that if you have actually damaged the positioner, the TB will have to be replaced...the firmware update alone will prevent it, but not cure it. Those oil pressures seem normal, BTW...definitely not too high. If you want to know what is happening, push "MODE", SET", and the turn signal cancal simultaneously to display the fault codes. Any of the codes shown above in the summary of the service bulletin is grounds for throttle body replacement.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The good news is that those symptoms are consistent with throttle body issues. The bad news is that if you have actually damaged the positioner, the TB will have to be replaced...the firmware update alone will prevent it, but not cure it. Those oil pressures seem normal, BTW...definitely not too high. If you want to know what is happening, push "MODE", SET", and the turn signal cancal simultaneously to display the fault codes. Any of the codes shown above in the summary of the service bulletin is grounds for throttle body replacement.
    ok i just did that i got to codes p1615 and p160e what does this mean anyone??

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Thanks,taking Sofia's Rt in for 6K service Monday.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

ok i just did that i got to codes p1615 and p160e what does this mean anyone??
    It's in the first post

"This type of failure would result in the engine going into limp home mode at start up and trip any of these codes. P1614, P1610, P1611 or P1615. When this happens it is necessary to replace the entire throttle body."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    It's in the first post

"This type of failure would result in the engine going into limp home mode at start up and trip any of these codes. P1614, P1610, P1611 or P1615. When this happens it is necessary to replace the entire throttle body."
    ok i saw the p1615 but what is p160E?

Spyder Garage

ok i saw the p1615 but what is p160E?
    That's your ETA Electrical Throttle Actuator

Spyder Garage

That's your ETA Electrical Throttle Actuator
    ok so does that need to be replaced also? just trying to get all this info so when i get to the shop in thea.m. i can tell them this

Spyder Garage

ok so does that need to be replaced also? just trying to get all this info so when i get to the shop in thea.m. i can tell them this
    Let the techs do their jobs. Usually when you tell them up front, it just slows or confuses things. They will read the diagnostic codes, and order a throttle body if they don't have one. You might want to mention this latest warranty campaign, however. Sometimes they are not caught up on the new ones.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

What about the 2010 RT's ?? Do they have issues with throttle bodies or are they built differently?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 here that's throwing P1614s...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    What about the 2010 RT's ?? Do they have issues with throttle bodies or are they built differently?
    2010's will not throw these codes for the same reason, not to say that they can't have a TB problem. This has more to do with a software update that was done in 2011 to hold the throttle plates shut for 40 min. to prevent hot start issues. As with many software issues, you fix one problem only to create a new one.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update, made my appointment today for next week
    Me & My Babycakes

Spyder Garage

2010's will not throw these codes for the same reason, not to say that they can't have a TB problem. This has more to do with a software update that was done in 2011 to hold the throttle plates shut for 40 min. to prevent hot start issues. As with many software issues, you fix one problem only to create a new one.

Yup, I went in today to have them throw it on buds and do the update, it was done quickly and I was satisfied that my troubles were averted, until I looked at the gas gauge and saw that it was telling me my full tank was empty. It was working fine when I brought it in and now they say I will have to bring it back when I want to have that issue worked on, service tech says he probably has to tear my beautiful bike apart to figure out the issue. My plan for now is to bch about it here and then keep an eagle eye on my miles until I get sick of it and take her in for servicing.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default R.T.Smith

Thanks for the info. I will contact my dealer. I am a new member and I am learning a lot by reading the posts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R.T. Smith View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will contact my dealer. I am a new member and I am learning a lot by reading the posts.

Spyder Garage

They had to replace the throttle body last fall on my 2010. Had to cancel my last trip because of it. Better before than during. Doing what we had planned after Spyderfest. Tenn will still be lovely in May as it would have been in October.

Spyder Garage

Thanks took mine in today.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Service Bulletins

I have the 2011 RT limited.....what scares me is this is service bulletin 2012-4. I assume there were bulletin 2012, 1,2&3. Am I wrong? I try very hard to keep up with all the bulletins for my spyder. And on March 14th I had the spyder to the dealer for an ECU UPDATE, which was the 2nd throttle body update. So now is this the third one?
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl