Spyder Garage

Default Anti-freeze leaking from somewhere

I ride my bike and then put it away hot and never see anything under it. Then the next morning I see a line of anti-freeze running toward the drain in the floor. I have read about some worm clamp that has had to be tighten before but don't see anything. Any ideas on this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Had the same happen to me this winter. No leaks during the riding season, then about a month into winter I see the little trail from under the front of the spyder. As soon as the weather warmed up, the trail went away, took the bike to the dealer last week and he tightened the clamp as he had seen several others leaking at that loose clamp. No leaks since then so off for a ride after work to get some "extras" added to the bike.

Diana

Spyder Garage

Could you tell me how to find this clamp ? Is there a panal I need to remove to find it ? I look around the best I can without getting under it and can't see any clamp. Thanks Rick

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Try checking this thread. Me, I let the dealer look at things but I know many others are mechanically inclined.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ntifreeze+leak

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Could you tell me how to find this clamp ? Is there a panal I need to remove to find it ? I look around the best I can without getting under it and can't see any clamp. Thanks Rick
    From the right-hand side of the bike, look in just behind the radiator fan. You will see two horizontal water hoses with Oetiker clamps, one vertical hose with an Oetiker clamp and one vertical hose with a screw clamp. That's it.

I wiped really good around the hose so I would know for sure it stopped. Also had a puddle on the splash pan below all these hoses. If you can mop up that puddle then you won't be faked out by a future drip that is just coming from the left-over puddle and not from the tightened hose.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    From the right-hand side of the bike, look in just behind the radiator fan. You will see two horizontal water hoses with Oetiker clamps, one vertical hose with an Oetiker clamp and one vertical hose with a screw clamp. That's it.

I wiped really good around the hose so I would know for sure it stopped. Also had a puddle on the splash pan below all these hoses. If you can mop up that puddle then you won't be faked out by a future drip that is just coming from the left-over puddle and not from the tightened hose
    Two turns with a screwdriver and it didnt leak in 3 years.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default coolant leak

Probably just tightening the worm drive clamp will do it. I cut my upper radiator hose to install a temp sensor and tried standard worm drive clamps. I had the same problem with leaking when cool. After some research I found a line of clamps that automatically adjust to temps to keep clamping pressure even. For those with cold leaks, such clamps will solve the problem. If the clamp is just "reefed" on when cold, the leak will stop but the hose may be damaged when hot. Of course, you have to establish which hose is leaking. That is the point of Oetiker clamps. The clamp can expand when hot and clamp tight when cold. I just have never had any luck getting Oetiker clamps to install correctly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Proper Tightness

Believe it or not, BRP has a torque spec for that clamp: 2.5 N-m or 22 lbf-in (note that's "inch pounds" not "foot pounds"!!) So get out your electronic torque-sensing screwdriver with remote and tighten away. What? You don't have one of those?

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I want to THANK everyone as I was able to find the clamp and see the shiney antifreeze around it. As I put a screwdriver on it and turned it a 1/2 turn it started to rotate around the hose. So now for the 64,000 dollar question, is the socket head on the clamp a MM size or an SAE size ? I put a 1/4 inch nutdriver on it but it didn't seen to fit so I didn't want to turn it and screw up the head.
    Thanks again now I at least know where to look. Rick

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I want to THANK everyone as I was able to find the clamp and see the shiney antifreeze around it. As I put a screwdriver on it and turned it a 1/2 turn it started to rotate around the hose. So now for the 64,000 dollar question, is the socket head on the clamp a MM size or an SAE size ? I put a 1/4 inch nutdriver on it but it didn't seen to fit so I didn't want to turn it and screw up the head.
    Thanks again now I at least know where to look. Rick
    Seeing every thing else is Metric, I would think the clamp is also.