Thread: API rating

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default API rating

When manual says oil needs to meet API rating of sl,sg,sh OR sj, that only means oil need to ONE of the rating, right? Not all of the ratings??? It doesn't look like any oil has ALL of the ratings.

So MA 1 or 2 plus any of the API ratings and that oil should be good to go?
    Thank you and MA 2 is supposed to better than 1?
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    When manual says oil needs to meet API rating of sl,sg,sh OR sj, that only means oil need to ONE of the rating, right? Not all of the ratings??? It doesn't look like any oil has ALL of the ratings.

So MA 1 or 2 plus any of the API ratings and that oil should be good to go?
    Thank you and MA 2 is supposed to better than 1?
    All you need one , Most will have some or all the API rating's on the containers.
    But if you get the oil labeled Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki it will only have the MA. rating.

Spyder Garage

All you need is one, but many oils will have several listed. Remember that BRP specifically cautions against use of API SM oils. JASO MA2 oils have better wet clutch performance than MA1 oils. The old rating was merely MA, and covered the spectrum. Some oils recently have been labeled with both JASO MA and API SM ratings. They should be mutually exclusive, IMO, but they are both listed. Not sure of their actual performance...use at your own risk. BRP does not mention the JASO rating. I'd love to see Rotax and BRP adapt the JASO MA spec (probably MA2) one of these days.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. I think these valvoline full synthetic will work out fine. Ma2 and sj, sh, sg rated.
    Once I put them in and works out, I guess I will stockpile them before sale is over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was not a "which oil is the best" type of thread. It was a simple question that I needed answer to.
    If you don't want contribute or read about it, you can simply move on to another thread.