Thread: Camera mounting

Spyder Garage

Default Camera mounting

I have a Nikon Coolpix L-110 that I have been trying to use in HD video. First time I used a suction Ram mount on the left saddle bag cover. I was too shaky. So, I took the Ram mount that comes with my Garmin Zumo and mounted in on the left passenger grip. Still too shaky. Also, the sound is like rocks rattling around a wooden box.

Where is a place that would be OK to mount a light weight camera for shooting video? It won't shoot through the windshield because of the auto focus. I have an original GoPro and it's OK but I wanted sound. I'm trying not to fork out money for another cam.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have mine mounted on the middle of my dashboard, but the bike gives of to much RF so it scrambles the SD chip in the camera.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure of the size of your camera but I mounted mine like Lamonster did and it works excellent.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...er-RTW-Project-
    SpydermanCT

2010 RT-S SE5 Timeless Black PE # 794 ~ RT-622 Trailer ~ Can-Am Garmin 665 GPS ~ Elka Front Shocks ~ ESI Brightsides with Rips Kit ~ ESI RT Fender Tips Kit ~ Rear Brightsides ~ HMT Brake Light ~ Tricplate rear running / Brake LED's ~ ESI Mud Flap Lights ~ LED Day Runners ~ Right Side Inlet Covers ~ Street Magic Scuff Guards ~ IPS Key Cover ~ KewlMetal Kewlocks ~ Spyderpops Radiator Block Off Plate and Catalytic Converter Shield Set ~ Carbon Fiber Kit ~ Corbin Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't underestimate the impact of your shock settings. I had a camera suction-mounted to my windshield, and when my shocks were at "3" it was smooth. Once I moved my shocks to "5", it was extremely shaky.

Spyder Garage

So, when I upgrade at SpyderFest with new shocks the shaking will be gone completely?

I went to the above link and ordered two of the plastic ball mounts from GPS City. Let's hope that
    the USPS doesn't damage the package and they loose part of the contents again?

The camera weighs 14.4 oz with card and batteries.
    Last edited by Cavman; 04-02-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Suction mount to the lower air deflector works well, as does a suction mount to the front trunk (my personal favorite) works best for me. I do have a remote with my Drift so stopping and starting recordings or pictures is relatively simple. Another option, as described by Lamont previously, is to mount a Ram Ball on your upper or lower deflector with a short arm and 1/4 inch thread adapter from RAM that will secure your camera.

I found that there is too much vibration associated with a dash, windshield or handlebar mount. Anything secured to the actual body is the way to go.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was on a PGR mission awhile back where a guy had tethered one of those small tripods, like for doing macro shots I assume, on his back case. Granted he had a GW with a box and rack in back. He had a simple bungee system to secure it and never had any problem. He, too, had one of those gyroscope lens or whatever it is.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is the mount I use with my drift..versatile and easily mounts to various areas. I currently have it mounted on the mirror arms close to the body..
    http://www.advdesigns.com/la1ulclmofor.html

Spyder Garage

Look into helmet mounting. I have done that and had no vibration issues.

Spyder Garage

Taking some of the info on this thread, I ordered two of the Ram ball mounts. Got one mounted on the left wind deflector on the outside cause I'm using a small camera with HD video. I used a 1/4-20 stainless bolt and stainless fender washer. I put some double sticky tape on the washer for some cushion.
    DSC_9154s.jpgDSC_9160s.jpgI drilled down into the ball end with a big drill to get rid of the nut shape that was too small and to get some more depth because the bolt was a bit short. I use a nylock Ram nut.
    Since I will be seeing the back of the camera, I'll know if the video starts filming. It was guess and miss when the camera was behind me?
    I'll give a test to see if there is any shackin' goin' on?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    So, when I upgrade at SpyderFest with new shocks the shaking will be gone completely?
    Negative. Don't expect high performance shocks to give you a more comfortable ride, they're designed to improve handling not comfort. As with a sports car expect a harsher ride but with better handling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Taking some of the info on this thread, I ordered two of the Ram ball mounts. Got one mounted on the left wind deflector on the outside cause I'm using a small camera with HD video. I used a 1/4-20 stainless bolt and stainless fender washer. I put some double sticky tape on the washer for some cushion.
    DSC_9154s.jpgDSC_9160s.jpgI drilled down into the ball end with a big drill to get rid of the nut shape that was too small and to get some more depth because the bolt was a bit short. I use a nylock Ram nut.
    Since I will be seeing the back of the camera, I'll know if the video starts filming. It was guess and miss when the camera was behind me?
    I'll give a test to see if there is any shackin' goin' on?
    I'm liking the versatility of RAM Mount more and more. Recently I bought an iPad mount for a wheel chair for my SIL. It included a clamp, 18 in gooseneck, a yoke like device, and the iPad holder. It works very good. I tried it out on the back grips of my RT first. If I bought another, mama could be on FB or playing games on the way to Cuba and leave the driving to me.

I just installed a drinking cup holder on my handlebars, which is a very weird shape might I add, that uses a band instead of a ubolt. No drilling. Haven't tried it on the road yet.

I don't see why the gooseneck couldn't hold a camera on the byke as well. Well, most cameras. I wouldn't put a BetaMax or VHS on one.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was asked to put up a couple pics of my camera and gps mounts....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I was asked to put up a couple pics of my camera and gps mounts....
    That'll work. Can you attach a lanyard to it in case of catastrophic incident? And what are those crazy wind wings? I have never seen a byke with those? Your own design?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I think I'm going give up on mounting the camera and stick with the first generation non-HD GoPro Hero cam.
    I drilled a new hole in the deflector near where it's attached to the Spyder. I moved the ball mount to that location.
    I even tied some para cord to the mount and to another location for some extra tension. I mounted the camera and took it for a video test run.
    The video gets weird and stops and goes in playback. I have one of the high end cards in the camera too for video.
    The camera even shakes when the Spyder is stopped. Vibrations from the engine are making it shake. SUCK!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    That'll work. Can you attach a lanyard to it in case of catastrophic incident? And what are those crazy wind wings? I have never seen a byke with those? Your own design?
    The air wings are put out by Madstad, same folks that make the adjustable windshield and one of the forum sponsors. They're a great mod for the price. Don't need a lanyard...that sucker isn't going anyplace...

Spyder Garage

Default camera shaking

i have the go pro hero i have been also trying to mount it on my 09 rs and the console area shakes way to much and vibrations in the handlebars is bad for it i tried on the side of the body it wiggles bad i even places a stick on mount on the detachable bags and it shakes badly on the road

sigh wanted to video some of the trip but with these results its useless

the rt shakes a lot less i guess and the rss with the large wind sheild the entire console area mirror to mirror shakes side to side

any other locations anyone can sugest i thought about on the a arm for the front end between the fender and body there is a flat spot to plant a adhesive mount

thanks

Spyder Garage

this is my "adjustable special edition camera holder" (selvemade)
    kamera-mann.JPG
    and here is the result - wanted to check my display ...
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/m...etails&mid=276
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I mounted my GoPro on the top of the dash to the left of the GPS. It sits at a slight angle and shoots throughout the windshield. It seems to work OK there.

I just stuck one of the mounts there so I can remove the camera when I'm away from the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Camera mount on a RS

Them ideas are great for a rt I don't have one of them
    wasnt really wanting a helmit cam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best places I have found is on the helmet or the chest harness. There are a few places on the rt that are decent for mounting, but all vibrate. Even the chest harness and helmet have some shaking, but the rips body dampens most of it.