Spyder Garage

Default Muffler painting. Practical or problematic ?

I have a 2008 RS with the stock muffler. I have had it to a couple of shows, but, the color on the muffler is fading and chipping near the front end. I would like to repaint it, but I'm not sure if this is practical. The catalytic filter in the area of the paint chipping, I'm thinking that the heat is too extreme for after market paint. I was hoping for input and suggestions. I'm a, do it yourself er, low budget person, other wise I would just purchase one of those $500.++, new ones. I like showing my bike and the paint chipping is not winning any trophies.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

What have you got to lose? It can't look worse. Getting the chipped areas not to show would be the hardest part, you may have to strip the entire muffler. Be sure and use the higest heat rating paint you can find. The 1,200 degree stuff won't hold up over a cat converter.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I painted the stock muffler with flat black BBQ paint from Home Depot (600 degrees) with no problems. Then I found a semi-gloss rated for 1200 degrees at RS Hughes. It works fine and looks much better than flat.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

I had my stock muffler on a GS ceramic coated; got tired of the peeling. It cost me $60.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PAINT

Rustoleum specialty High Heat paint rated for 1200 degree's.....$5 to 6.....it works great....I use it on the headers on my Cobra and it lasts and they get a lot hotter than the Spyder ever will.....Mike..... There is another company called "VHT" they sell thru Summitracing.com and others it's rated at 2000 degree's , but I think that's overkill IMHO
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've seen some rated at 1500 deg but not sure where; maybe at Auto Zone or Advance. It was a spray non-gloss black.

How about powder coating? Will it stand the heat? If so, you can get it done in any color.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I've seen some rated at 1500 deg but not sure where; maybe at Auto Zone or Advance. It was a spray non-gloss black.

How about powder coating? Will it stand the heat? If so, you can get it done in any color.
    Powder coating is a low temp process. You can powdercoat in a regular kitchen oven (but your wife won't like it!). It has held up on some mufflers, but isn't a reliable solution, especially over or near the CAT.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use VHT on the turbo on my V-Rod and it lasts about 10k miles. Only issue is it is not only flat black but bordering on grey.

Have the same issue on the wifes Spyder and was going to paint as others have said will still look better than the chipping.

SteveO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOT PAINT

I 've seen turbo's glow red so I don't think it's a fair comparision to the muffler......JMHO.....Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am actually taking my stock RS muffler in tomorrow to have it ceramic coated in a gloss black. I was considering replacing it as I don't think it looks very nice with the rest of the bike shiny. Hopefully it works out or I will be buying a new one. They are charging me 65$ for this which if it comes out well is a deal. I will post pics once I get it back on. They said it would be 4-5 days so early next week. Timing works out fine as the waether is a bit cold and I will be traveling for some of this time.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to look into ceramics. I prefer Shinny, for shows, flat and not so black is what I have now.
    I sure do appreciate your help.
    Rod
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary