Spyder Garage

Default Roast Spider... Extra crispy or rare?

I searched under "heat" and "hot". I'm curious about how these bikes handle 100+ heat in traffic. Nevada, Arizona, SW Texas, and portions of Cali. Stock performance... No mods.
    Limp mode? Timing get pulled? Curious what your findings were.

Spyder Garage

I headed west across Kansas the first part of July last year with the thermometer on the dash registering 115°F---pulling an RT622 trailer with the gauge running one bar below the red. Haven't had any heat like that out here in Northern Nevada, although the upper 90's have been absolutely no problems.

Spyder Garage

That's impressive. Didn't know Kansas could dish that out. Thank you for your response. Curious to see if any variances exist between models etc. I'd like to compare the responses to aftermarket equipment "solutions" and see how hot they run and how much hype is out there

Spyder Garage

I ride every day here in Las Vegas, last summer the temp gauge was the highest at 122 but I was just riding north on I-15 at speed limit or something close to it, lol 70-75 and not a problem at all.

Spyder Garage

They do good. I have a 2010 RT AC that I thought was running hot when the outside temps would go above 100, but it was just a bad temp gauge. Unplugged the guages and it has not went over 1/2 on the LCD temp guage.

I had a 2008 GS before my RT, and on 100 degree days sitting in traffic or at stop lights, the temp gauge would creep up about 3/4 of the way and it never went in to limp mode. Not a problem if you can keep moving...

Spyder Garage

Ok... Good. I have an 08 GS and even at 80 degrees it's creeps to almost 3/4 in heavy traffic. I guess I'm used to cars and the needle being "in the middle".

I saw that rubber/plastic frame for redirecting more airflow, but if the spyder is in motion, cooling appears efficient. I wonder when the fan kicks on, and why they chose such a high temp. For activation.

I guess with can ams production line I always picture their vehicles in cold weather....

Spyder Garage

There is no question the Spyder loves the cooler temps.That being said it performs well in the upper temps and some have added modifications to make it perform better .
    Happy Owner

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    Ok... Good. I have an 08 GS and even at 80 degrees it's creeps to almost 3/4 in heavy traffic. I guess I'm used to cars and the needle being "in the middle".

I saw that rubber/plastic frame for redirecting more airflow, but if the spyder is in motion, cooling appears efficient. I wonder when the fan kicks on, and why they chose such a high temp. For activation.

I guess with can ams production line I always picture their vehicles in cold weather....

The fan kicks on when it get to five bars on your gauge. Lamont put a gauge on his and the temp is not that hot when the fan kicks on. It just seems like five bars is hot, but it actually isn't. The Spyder retains alot of engine heat because it's covered in plastic., and you will notice it on your right foot.

I have had an experience with my 08 overheating and going into limp mode. It was no fault of the Spyder, only my dumb dumb tech put the wrong size fuse in the fan slot when I had him put a twelve volt outlet in my frunk and it kept popping fuzes.
    Last edited by arntufun; 03-31-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

I was in a Parade ( with wlkers ), not the best idea in the world, but did it for a friend. It was around 90 or so, my Rt never went in the red, fan came on a couple times.
    Several HD's in the parade had awful problems, over heating so the rear cylinder quits working, even quitting periord. Lots of back firing and bucking. No, I am not picking on HD's. I did find out you can obtain a "police set up" from a dealer. I am not sure what that means, but I know they add a fan to "Cop Bikes"
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I ride in 100 to 110 degrees every summer in South Texas and I've never run hotter than 5 bars, even towing my 500lb. camper.
    Padre Spyder & Jenny
    Riding the Dream on a Dream Ride

Spyder Garage

Now we are talking...parades, towing in 100+... That's pushing it... And valuable experience... Thanks for sharing!