Spyder Garage

Default unexplained codes

I've read where members have had codes appear in the cluster only to have them disappear once the spyder is shut down and then restarted; then, maybe weeks or months later the same code or a different code appears and then disappears again. In those instances where no component failure can be found there may be something else to check (along with the usual loose relays or battery connections). The tech at the dealer I go to checked my spyder with BUDS and found the cluster was missing the spyder model number; it's supposed to have both the vin and model number. He said he has seen strange things happen when one or the other is missing. I didn't get into what strange meant.

In my case it wasn't a code. I had the startup message reappear after starting my spyder. Last year they replaced the ECU, which corrected the problem. Then, after taking it out of its' winter nap and riding for 2 weeks, the startup message reappeared the day I took the spyder in for service.

The missing model or vin number is just something to think about when there is no component failure or loose relays or loose battery connections and you have codes appear.

I have a 2008 GS SM5.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Wylie!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Wylie!
    X2! Really good to know since I just had that happen to me. I hope the Parking Brake fault does'nt come back, but if it does I will keep this in mind.
    Last edited by Paulf10; 03-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze w/ Tan Seat