Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS Options For the RT

I see the Garmin Zumo 660 with everything needed for $800+ is there something cheaper yet plug and play? I hate getting lost on a trip, so I need something soon. We have our annual "wrench party" next month and the guys will help as needed. One guy does all the electrical stuff and he is really good at it.

Any thoughts before I invest in the $800 model?

I did a search and read a ton of post, did not find my answer.

Thanks, Jim

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-zumo-660-GPS-Receiver-/120881904808?pt=GPS_Devices&has

How bout that one for $630?SC20120322-163830.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't look - Just listen - GPS

I hooked my GPS up to the sound system through the trunk audio jack. I find it easier to navigate (even in my car as well as Spyder) by listening to the voice commands. I don't really need to look at the GPS, and find the navigation works effectively every time. When I stop for a break, I can check the GPS visually to get bearings, but the voice prompts do a great job (in fact better than watching the maps) everytime, at least for me. My GPS does the job fine at $150 and isn't exposed to the elements attached to the handlebars or dash. Just like the more expensive models, my GPS is upgradeable online and can take me anywhere in No. America.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gps

Recalculating...

Quote Originally Posted by ZippE View Post
    I hooked my GPS up to the sound system through the trunk audio jack. I find it easier to navigate (even in my car as well as Spyder) by listening to the voice commands. I don't really need to look at the GPS, and find the navigation works effectively every time. When I stop for a break, I can check the GPS visually to get bearings, but the voice prompts do a great job (in fact better than watching the maps) everytime, at least for me. My GPS does the job fine at $150 and isn't exposed to the elements attached to the handlebars or dash. Just like the more expensive models, my GPS is upgradeable online and can take me anywhere in No. America.

Spyder Garage

Depends on what you mean by plug-n-play. There are cheaper waterproof GPS units, although you may have to forego some features like the integrated audio. An external GPS on an aftermarket or RAM mount will be easier to install. In addition, you can get a mount and harness for the Zumo 660/665 series units from BRP without the GPS, but that GPS series is expensive and the installation is far from plug-n-play.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a Zumo 550 - all of the advantages of the Big Brother, but priced in the $400 to $550 range.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is what I am thinking about doing.
    -Garmin GPS about 150.00 (I already have this)
    -Brica holder http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=11757013
    -Add a plug in the the front area which I want to do any way. Of course you do not have to add the plug

If you do not add a plug you are only out 170.00 If you need sound you can plug a earbud into the Garmin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOGJIM View Post
    I see the Garmin Zumo 660 with everything needed for $800+ is there something cheaper yet plug and play? I hate getting lost on a trip, so I need something soon. We have our annual "wrench party" next month and the guys will help as needed. One guy does all the electrical stuff and he is really good at it.

Thanks, Jim
    I bought the Garmin 765t from bestbuy refurbished for $109. It has all the bells and whistles except not waterproof. Then I add the mount and wiring from BRP for $139 off of amazon. It works great!
    It mutes the music and driving instructions come out the RT speakers.

Pic of what I bought. Part # 219400318 $139 on amazon
    gpsmount.jpg

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have a Zumo 550 with a wire all the way to the trunk for sound... A Kewlmetal mount... Got XM at the same time !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I bought the Garmin 765t from bestbuy refurbished for $109. It has all the bells and whistles except not waterproof. Then I add the mount and wiring from BRP for $139 off of amazon. It works great!
    It mutes the music and driving instructions come out the RT speakers.

Pic of what I bought. Part # 219400318 $139 on amazon
    gpsmount.jpg

How hard was it to wire using the BRP kit?

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

How hard was it to wire using the BRP kit?
    Not hard. You take a couple of covers off of the right side and then I popped the speaker cover out. I think you're supposed to take the headlight out to fish the wiring but I just did it with a clothshanger. There is a plug on the right side behind the saddlebag that you plug the harness into. I do remember thinking that the plug wouldn't fit then I figured out that you have to pull this little pin cover off of the plug on the spyder before it will plug in. The power wiring that comes with the garmin I cut the lighter plug off and wired it to the gps power wires and fed it all up through the handlebars. I did order a little ball mount for the garmin that had 4 screws to hold it to the BRP bracket. I think it was like $3.99 I could find the number if you want. That way I can leave the power hooked up to the garmin bracket and the garmin just snaps off at the push of the bottom button. Works just like the factory one as far as I can tell. The mounting and wiring from BRP comes with pretty good instructions. Any other questions let me know.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Spyder Garage

Default Pictures????

Please
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nyfdtsdemt View Post
    Please
    I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures and I would have to tear it apart to take some. It really is not a hard job if you buy the mount and wiring that I listed above. The instructions that come with it are very good.

Mods:
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    TackForm Phone Mount

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Kewmetal makes a Garmin 550 mount that mounts up just like the 660 mount supplied on the RT Ltd. it wires up slightly differently but with the addition of an XM ant. You also get sat radio. The Antenna is about $125, the mount $60 and the Garmin 550 around $450. Total cost is about $635 not counting wires screws etc. all plays through the I Pod wire and out through the speakers.

Spyder Garage

I use a Garmin 1430 (I think) standard unit. It works great for what I need. I don't care to hear the directions (especially when they are wrong) and since I pre-plan my trips I use it for quick reference and back-up.

I use a RAM mount installed where the temp gauge was and use the 12v line for the gauge light for power. Works great and ease to deal with.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Me, I use my phone! Via Bluetooth and Aux Port - it Works beautiful!!!

Here the load down. My phone, an iPhone 4S - although any phone with decent app will do the trick.

The GPS app I use?
    MotionX GPS ($3.99) plus voice command subscription ($24 for the year).

Keep my iPhone in my pocket for the most time, but when needed I pull it out and mount in on my Just Mobile Xstand Go (ST-169A) ($40). I can see an listen to my navigation directions.

How?
    The phone is connected to my audio system wirelessly via the AUX port (I do have the iPhone connector for my Spyder but do not use).

Wirelessly?
    Yes, using a Bluetooth A2DP Adapter - Miccus BluBridge mini Jack RX ($40.00). The phone is paired with this device. The beauty is I have full iPod music streaming wireless HiFi to the aux port. I get to stream even Pandora or any Internet Radio including XM, if I had a subscription. When direction are needed, MotionX actually fades to blend the music with the directions/instructions (ducking the music sound).

The only drawback to this setup is waterproofing the iPhone. Which can be done with a leafproof case. I personally chose to buy a Mophie case which is actually a battery extender which works nicely on longer trips. The iPhone with the mophie battery case runs for over 16hrs. Continues music playing, some browsing, navigation and occasional email checks. You can always charge the phone with the rear port while still enjoying music, gps directions and shielding from the rain if necessary.

Overall, this solution has been much more cost effective for me without having to do many mods to mount and wire external GPS. Oh, btw. MotionX gps offers real time traffic, up-to-date maps and even 3D maps.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Jim
    I found my Zumo 660 for $615 at Sears Online..........
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just let the wife tell me where to go, I'm use to it.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    I just let the wife tell me where to go, I'm use to it.
    I know, I am in the same boat. (helmet intercom)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JuanJax View Post
    Here the load down. My phone, an iPhone 4S - although any phone with decent app will do the trick.

The GPS app I use?
    MotionX GPS ($3.99) plus voice command subscription ($24 for the year).

Keep my iPhone in my pocket for the most time, but when needed I pull it out and mount in on my Just Mobile Xstand Go (ST-169A) ($40). I can see an listen to my navigation directions.

How?
    The phone is connected to my audio system wirelessly via the AUX port (I do have the iPhone connector for my Spyder but do not use).

Wirelessly?
    Yes, using a Bluetooth A2DP Adapter - Miccus BluBridge mini Jack RX ($40.00). The phone is paired with this device. The beauty is I have full iPod music streaming wireless HiFi to the aux port. I get to stream even Pandora or any Internet Radio including XM, if I had a subscription. When direction are needed, MotionX actually fades to blend the music with the directions/instructions (ducking the music sound).

The only drawback to this setup is waterproofing the iPhone. Which can be done with a leafproof case. I personally chose to buy a Mophie case which is actually a battery extender which works nicely on longer trips. The iPhone with the mophie battery case runs for over 16hrs. Continues music playing, some browsing, navigation and occasional email checks. You can always charge the phone with the rear port while still enjoying music, gps directions and shielding from the rain if necessary.

Overall, this solution has been much more cost effective for me without having to do many mods to mount and wire external GPS. Oh, btw. MotionX gps offers real time traffic, up-to-date maps and even 3D maps.
    I
    I use the same setup, 4S, motionx and wireless headset. I put the iPhone in the rear trunk and plug it in. Safe from weather and always has power.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

The iphone motionx option looks good, which map do you use for roads, down loaded the app and it takes me straight as the crow flies and not on the road

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully I ddn't confused you. There are 2 MotionX application available. The one I use is "MotionX GPS Drive". MontionX GPS is for other purposes such as walking, hiking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gortwol View Post
    The iphone motionx option looks good, which map do you use for roads, down loaded the app and it takes me straight as the crow flies and not on the road

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really like that blue tooth option. But how do you plug the Bluetooth A2DP Adapter - Miccus BluBridge mini Jack RX in to the aux. it's an 8 pin. And the input from the unit is a single post? I am lost in that. Any info would help. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Got it thanks...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Miccus has a mini jack 3.5mm, similar to your iPod, iPhone in which you plugin the headphones. In this case you plug in the BRP can-am aux cable (which is 7 pin to 3.5 mm mini jack).

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBrid...e+mini-jack+rx

Quote Originally Posted by Warmav View Post
    I really like that blue tooth option. But how do you plug the Bluetooth A2DP Adapter - Miccus BluBridge mini Jack RX in to the aux. it's an 8 pin. And the input from the unit is a single post? I am lost in that. Any info would help. Thanks