SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default oil pressure gauge

ok i just bought a new oil pressure gauge from prosport gauges its all digital i took a picture of the oil sending unit but don't know how to get it on here. my question which i asked in previous threads was going unanswered or i just did'nt see the answer i was looking for. it seems that i need some addtl parts for this gauge to work on the spyder so if anyone has put one of these on please tell me exactly what i need and where to buy it the guys at the dealership just arent to bright but when thats all you got to work with i'd like to have as much info from you fellow ryders so they will know what to do. please be prcise on what addtl things i'll need. and thanks for all help.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried emailing prosports? They were pretty quick to reply when I asked them a question.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you took the picture with your phone, email it to yourself, access it n your computer, save it, and post it from there (click the little image icon in the area where you type your reply.)
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

said file to lg dont know how to make smaller.
    Last edited by scooterexpress; 03-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

This isn't a simple mod. The Spyder sending unit is metric and the gauges are usually US pipe thread. You would need the appropriate adapter, perhaps a metric pipe nipple, and some thread sealant. You will also need some luck, since extending the sending unit can put excessive pressure at the crancase threads, and cause leaks or breakage. A search here may find the information you need, but be aware that the VW adapters are hard to find.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Type "oil pressure gauge" in the search bar above and you will get so good advice....

Spyder Garage

Default Sending unit

I went through this in Jan and part of Feb. If you want to use only the new oil pressure guage, get a 10mm sending unit and a couple "crushable washers" to seal it. Mine was put in without a washer and it leaked a little, even with the sealent recommended. I also tried the VW super adapter, and put the original sending unit for the oil light in the 10mm adapter and the new gauge sending unit in the 1/8npt hole and no matter what I/the dealer did, it would always lead a little. Went back to the 10 mm sending unit for the gauge, a little sealent, nice new washer and it's been perfect. The rational is that the light tells you you're down to 3 psi (think that's right) and damage probably already happened. The digital gauge blinks and gets your attention at 20 psi - low, but hopefully ok. The display changes to "low oil pressure" about 7 psi. The gauge I got from Summit Racing also has a memory capability, but I didn't hook that up. About 2500 miles, since all the confusion when it was installed, but perfect now. I do check it about once a day to be sure it's not leaking - just run a paper towel over the sending unit to be sure it's ok. Of course, I check the oil within a minute or so of shutting down at the end of the day. Oil use is just about nothing over the 3,000 mile interval.
    The link to the company that made the adapter for both sending units is in the SL forums under oil pressure. I keep most receipts, just looked and can't find that one.
    Good luck with this project. Somehow mine got too confusing when the washer wasn't installed with the new sending unit and the adapter kept weeping oil. Let me know if I can help any further.

Tuck