Spyder Garage

Default HD Forum discussion about the Spyder

Interesting to see the view from the other side. http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-gl...am-spyder.html

Happy reading,
    --ABQ

2009 RS SM5. Passenger Backrest,
    Sport Rack, GloRyders, TricLED Dayrunners,
    LED Halo Kit, and LED fender tips.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The amount of misinformation there is just pissing me off. Stopped after page 1.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

There is quite a lot of misinformation. Lack of Storage capacity????? The frunk out does a basic set of saddle bags. If you have an RT you have two additional bags and a trunk. Its not worth my time--but I am guessing if we chased the specs--we would find Spyder has a lot more Cubic inches of storage space than most HD's

The list of problems like limp modes, unreliability, breakdowns, heat etc. have been mostly solved and the forum is not full of that type of stuff any more.

When it comes to opinions about the HD brand--getting a died in the wool HD owner to change over is pretty hard. It's like getting a Catholic to change to Judaism or some other religion. Chances are they are not going to change. I just picked two religions out of the hat for my comparison.

One person said that they took their checkbook to buy a Spyder, sat on it and left. Guess what, I had the very same experience. When the HD trike came out, I did the same. I went to the HD dealership--when they saw what I was riding (my fully customized GS with hard bags, trunk, fairing, etc)--I got the cool treatment. The reluctantly let me sit on the trike, and started it up. For me, I did not like the ergonomics, the sound, or the vibration I encountered. I knew instantly that a HD was not in my future. Now this is just my opinion and I am not meaning to disrepect anyones ride--to each their own. IMO
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am certain a lot of misinformation about HDs would be the case in this Forum. I for one, have never owned a Harley so I'm not familiar with them. I particularly do not care what they think of my Spyder, I love it just because. To each his own 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trolls on Hawgs trying to lie enough to themselves enough to justify their ignorance...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I got so pissed that I actually joined just to reply to that thread.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw that...
    It's probably best to let them wallow in their misconceptions; you're not going to get them to change their minds anyway...
    Besides; if you argue with an idiot, they'll beat you every time! You have to drop down to their level and they'll beat you on sheer expereince at being one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I saw that...
    It's probably best to let them wallow in their misconceptions; you're not going to get them to change their minds anyway...
    Besides; if you argue with an idiot, they'll beat you every time! You have to drop down to their level and they'll beat you on sheer expereince at being one!
    Agreed, but I had to give a Spyder Owners view.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Trolls on Hawgs trying to lie enough to themselves enough to justify their ignorance...
    Wow!!! thnx Bob... I've been called a lot of things, but a "TROLL".. Never better said, to each his own.. I just like to ride..I rode my 1st crotch rocket for the 1st time the other day. Holy chit Batman, Not good!!! I've rode the HD trike, if I want something that plows, I'll crank up the Massey/Furgie and go to the fields. I only have Computerized issues with "Burp"...Toooooo damn many!..so now I compromise...97 1100Honda Bobber..99HD 1540Bagger..10BRP RT A&C..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Were you in there???

Spyder Garage

The misinformation was ticking me off too but not as much as the several who were just downright nasty.
    What's up with the one who said he or she rode with a friend that had an RT and could not go 100 miles on a tank of gas???
    2011 RTS SE5 Chrome Dash Kit, Best Flame Kit, Chrome handle bar end caps, Chrome Tail pipe tip and heat shield, Chrome Handlebar Cover.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Posturing...

tompen

I just went over to take a look. I have been a member on that site since 2008. The thread started before the RT came out. A GS compared to a Tri-Glide would come up short on storage. As the thread matured it seemed to make a little more sense. Can-Am got it right from the first bike made, and brought it out at a price that put a lot of people back in the wind that had given up. Harley experimented with a two wheel in front design but decided it had to lean and gave up. Instead of starting with a blank sheet, they went with a Lehman conversion of the same old thing and at the time sold for twice the price of a GS. Room for both. I would love to try a T-Rex, but for 50K,,,,no thanks.

Spyder Garage

Lol... we know that our bikes are superior.... opps sounded like a HD site comment, lol... Each to their own I aways say. Not sure if some of the HD types I have met in my life are the type of people I would want to own a spyder. I see the Spyder as a class act, can you immagine the loud pipes, skull caps with little spyders hanging from it and full body spyder web tattoos and fighting with the Honda Trike Gangs. I shudder at the thought, lol..Yep...Spyders are not for them. lol

I owned 2 Harleys in the past.. Loved my sportser for local drives and it it's day it had great style. I also owned a full dresser for 1 day. When I went to pick it up it had an oil puddle under it. They told me it common and they would take care of. I traded it back in on the spot and they gave me full amount back less the paperwork fees. In its place I bought a Yamaha Venture Royal when it first came out. It was the Can-Am of its day.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 03-22-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

That thread contained a lot of emotion but very few facts. Similar to other threads I've read about the Spyder on other motorcycle forums. Basically few there know anything substantial about the Spyder and speak from their prejudices. I guess that's to be expected, but it is exasperating.

Spyder Garage

I tend to think that, good-natured and deserved ribbing aside, it's impolite to start cross-forum flame wars. NOT AT ALL suggesting that's why you posted this though, ABQ! Just saying in general, we're all going to be a bit tribal and defensive for what we own/paid good money for/ride everyday.

I'm not a HD guy, but I love them for what they are. I considered a HD trike conversion before I bought my Spyder (the Tri-Glide was too rich for my blood), but in the end the deciding factor was that the Spyder was *designed* to be a trike from the outset, and thus intelligently executes what it's designed to do with far fewer compromises than a conventional trike.

Still, I wouldn't mind a nice HD Softtail. Or a Suzuki TU-250X. Or a Honda CBR250. Or a Kawasaki Versys. Or a BMW G 650. Or a Yamaha TW200. Or a Ural Patrol. Or a Piaggio MP3. Or...

You get the picture. PLENTY of bikes out there to love.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!