Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Running slightly hotter, fan cutting off too quick

Spyder has been running just little hotter than usual and I now noticed that fan comes on a little after 5 bars which seems normal but it cuts off before it brings it down to 4 bars like before.
    Also, at highway speed, I used to run at 3 bars in 60-70 weather but now runs at 4 bars and at 5 when it's 80+.
    The point when fan shuts off is not adjustable, right? But pre-set on thermostat?
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Spyder has been running just little hotter than usual and I now noticed that fan comes on a little after 5 bars which seems normal but it cuts off before it brings it down to 4 bars like before.
    Also, at highway speed, I used to run at 3 bars in 60-70 weather but now runs at 4 bars and at 5 when it's 80+.
    The point when fan shuts off is not adjustable, right? But pre-set on thermostat?
    There was a Thread on this last summer, Lamount did temp readings at each bar.
    I think the results were not to worry the actual water temps were not that high.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had what appears to be exactly the same thing after its last service. I assumed it was some new 'update".

Spyder Garage

They did a software update that changes how the temp is displayed. I believe it was in the same update that fixed the 62,000 mile odometer glitch. You're not really running hotter--- it's just displaying things on a slightly different scale now.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    They did a software update that changes how the temp is displayed. I believe it was in the same update that fixed the 62,000 mile odometer glitch. You're not really running hotter--- it's just displaying things on a slightly different scale now.
    You're correct. After that update for the decimal point, the display shows one more bar than it did previously at various outdoor temps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now I sorta remember reading about this but with history of my spyder, I was thinking "here we go again..."

Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

You could also check to see if the rad fins are clear,bugs ,road debris etc,could be reducing the air flow.Have you had any software updates done?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    You could also check to see if the rad fins are clear,bugs ,road debris etc,could be reducing the air flow.Have you had any software updates done?
    It should be updated to latest and I will check the radiator too.
    Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default Want your water to cool better?

Replace some of the mix with distilled water. I'm doing this with mine.

Just remember to put more anti-freeze back in before winter if you live in cold climate.

Short story behind this: several years ago, the Rotax engine on my experimental aircraft was running hot. Tried everything and finally got an email from a gent who said he wasn't an aircraft motor guy but a long time mechanic and told me to use only 10% antifreeze. I did, and never had another overheating issue. Since then I've told others using the same type motor and they've had success as well. Come winter I increased the amount to keep from freezing in my climate.